Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this isn't working for me. I'm getting a black screen and now I can't even get back into BIOS because the screen doesn't pop up...

I changed the 0x67DF1002 thing and changed my BIOS. Now when I start up nothing happens I get a black screen and I can't get into bios.

EDIT: Ok, it's working now. The flickering has stopped. But system info still doesn't recognise it as RX480 it still says XXX. Not sure what else I can do now...

Last edited:
Hi, this isn't working for me. I'm getting a black screen and now I can't even get back into BIOS because the screen doesn't pop up...

I changed the 0x67DF1002 thing and changed my BIOS. Now when I start up nothing happens I get a black screen and I can't get into bios.

EDIT: Ok, it's working now. The flickering has stopped. But system info still doesn't recognise it as RX480 it still says XXX. Not sure what else I can do now...

This is normal, the R9 XXX is a default name for the AMD cards including fury cards. If you use inject ATI in clover with the latest version it should list the card correctly. Go to about this Mac and select system report then open graphics and displays. Check to see if you have "metal" supported. ARGB210101010 color 30 bit. If so you have acceleration.

In order to see the clover and bios screen you need to connect monitor to motherboard HDMI slot. I use a VGA connection for mother board and an HDMI for my RX card. When it boots I see the bios and clover screen and midway through the VGA screen drops and the RX card output shows log in screen.

This is normal, the R9 XXX is a default name for the AMD cards including fury cards. If you use inject ATI in clover with the latest version it should list the card correctly. Go to about this Mac and select system report then open graphics and displays. Check to see if you have "metal" supported. ARGB210101010 color 30 bit. If so you have acceleration.

In order to see the clover and bios screen you need to connect monitor to motherboard HDMI slot. I use a VGA connection for mother board and an HDMI for my RX card. When it boots I see the bios and clover screen and midway through the VGA screen drops and the RX card output shows log in screen.

Ahh, I guess I did it right then. It says Metal: Supported, Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Cooler (ARGB8888) < Is that a problem? I do have ATI injected in clover but still doesn't show RX480, but as long as it's a cosmetic thing and doesn't affect performance, I don't mind.

Also, I'm using an Ultrawide LG 34UM58 which only has 2 HDMI inputs. Should I use them both then? Not sure if it's that necessary/worth it if it only skips the loading screen.

Also thanks a lot, Gigamaxx! I read through most of the this thread (50 pages!) and you've been of tremendous help!

Ahh, I guess I did it right then. It says Metal: Supported, Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Cooler (ARGB8888) < Is that a problem? I do have ATI injected in clover but still doesn't show RX480, but as long as it's a cosmetic thing and doesn't affect performance, I don't mind.

Also, I'm using an Ultrawide LG 34UM58 which only has 2 HDMI inputs. Should I use them both then? Not sure if it's that necessary/worth it if it only skips the loading screen.

Also thanks a lot, Gigamaxx! I read through most of the this thread (50 pages!) and you've been of tremendous help!

No, I just realized you have an older CPU do you have HD 3000 graphics? I know that the HD 4600, and the Hd 530 graphics will get the 30 bit color but the most important is the metal support.

Search the "Enabling all cores on fury cards" thread. It is a fix that will enable 36 Compute Units for your RX Use the numbers from FlOr!an's post on first page. If you run Luxmark Ball benchmark it will only list 16 CUs but there are really 36 so this fix enables all 36. It gives you about a 10-15% performance boost in openCL apps.
RX 480 LUXmark 3.1 no fury mod.png LUX MARK 14790.png

You might try this:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rs-for-new-amd-radeon-drivers.197273/page-186

post # 1853

No, I just realized you have an older CPU do you have HD 3000 graphics? I know that the HD 4600, and the Hd 530 graphics will get the 30 bit color but the most important is the metal support.

Search the "Enabling all cores on fury cards" thread. It is a fix that will enable 36 Compute Units for your RX Use the numbers from FlOr!an's post on first page. If you run Luxmark Ball benchmark it will only list 16 CUs but there are really 36 so this fix enables all 36. It gives you about a 10-15% performance boost in openCL apps.
View attachment 234508 View attachment 234507

Thanks again mate! The compute unit fix worked. Though it didn't improve my Valley benchmark or Cinebench. It does say 36 CU now. Thanks to you my computer is running so much smoother!

Hey, thanks for the link! If it's only cosmetic I'd rather not change too much!

Last edited by a moderator:
So there is no chance to make rx480 working in macOS, if I don't have mobo with igfx support? That's disappointing, bought rx480 instead of gtx1060 just because of being sure it will work with macOS. :/

So there is no chance to make rx480 working in macOS, if I don't have mobo with igfx support? That's disappointing, bought rx480 instead of gtx1060 just because of being sure it will work with macOS. :/

If you have an extra pci slot you can use a AMD 5450, or Nvidia 8400 or similar inexpensive models that have native support for an igpu. It's been tested and works to get RX cards working. Do you have an old AMD or Nvidia card laying around?

If you have an extra pci slot you can use a AMD 5450, or Nvidia 8400 or similar inexpensive models that have native support for an igpu. It's been tested and works to get RX cards working. Do you have an old AMD or Nvidia card laying around?

Only gtx460, will it work too?

And does it mean the rx480 will never work on it's own? :/

Also, I would like to send a few thanks to Gigamaxx, I appreciate your activity here around, seen your posts and accurate answers to all kinds of questions here. Thanks, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back