Not open for further replies.
Mobo:
GIGABYTE Z170X- UD3
CPU:
I5 6500
Graphics:
AMD R9 390
can use it?

What is your R9 390 ID? 0x? They have been reported working using these same methods by placing the ID in AMD4100kext, and possibly the 9500controllerkext. The IDs go into the info.plist of these kexts just add them if they are not there and then run Kextwizzard before you reboot.

Hello Guys, another questions.. I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to ask this, if not, please tell me.

So I had my MSI Radeon rx 480x working nice and smooth. Then I decided to get an m.2 nvme SSD (Samsung 960 Evo). Did a couple of re-installs and got it working, also have my GPU working again (altho it says now that it has 64 CU? ).

Anyway, I installed windows 10 on a separate SSD (Samsung 850 Evo - Sata) for a dual boot. Got that one running now as well.
When I boot I get to clover and can boot OSX and windows just fine. At the moment I have my mobo connected via VGA and my rx480 via DVI. My monitor has VGA selected so I can see the clover boot screen and when I boot either of them I have to switch my input to DVI and still both OS's work fine.

I'd rather not have to switch an input on bootup, and leave the VGA cable detached. But then, when I boot, clover automatically boots into OSX (without me seeing anything till login). Is it possible some way to only use my DVI cable on my RX480 and still be able to see clover bootscreen or somehow select which OS I want to boot in?

No, that's the 64,000 dollar question that hasn't been solved. I use a vga connection and an hdmi on the same monitor. I see the boot and then at password screen the hdmi takes over and the vga drops out. That's been the best solution so far if you do t want to change cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigabyte RX 480 WINFORCE 8GB works fine, just plug as secondary card and play... With Fl0r!an's and okrasit's patches of course.
Since my mobo/cpu has no internal graphics, I used prehistoric S3 Trio64V+ (sic!) as helper card to get RX 480 worked with QE/CI/Metal. The only problem was to find power cord for less ancient (HD5750) card.
Clover fake ID injection works for RX 480 as well personality patch in 4100.kext, but i prefer to use legacy extensions without touching system files as described here.
So, that was no hard times getting to work the Gigabyte RX 480 :)

I've helped many people get their cards working and Asus and gigabyte cards have been troublesome compared to the other brands listed. In September I personally tested Asus and gigabyte brands and they would not work, put in a sapphire or XFX and it worked these were side by side comparisons. As time went on and sierra matured a few people reported they were able to get Asus and gigabyte cards working but I've also dealt with people with those cards that can not get acceleration. Some returned their cards and had success with the other brands and some struggled to get them working. I'm glad it was so easy for you, but I stilll get users having trouble and getting frustrated by them which is why I don't recommend them.

I have never had a user that couldn't get a XFX, sapphire or Powercooler to work, but Gigabyte and Asus those users still report issues. Except for you. You should start a thread "success with Gigabyte RX 480" and help,others achieve the success you so easily achieved. That way when someone gets frustrated and can't seem to get it to work we can send them to your thread for help.

No, that's the 64,000 dollar question that hasn't been solved. I use a vga connection and an hdmi on the same monitor. I see the boot and then at password screen the hdmi takes over and the vga drops out. That's been the best solution so far if you do t want to change cables.

Ah that's what I suspected, thanks.

Is it correct though that when you boot with 2 cables connected (VGA/DVI i.e.) that performance of the rx480 is less than when you boot with only the dvi cable in the rx480? Or is it enough to pull the vga cable on clover? Or does the drop in performance isn't noticeable? And goes this for OSX only or for windows as wel?

I'm considering picking up a cheap 460 for use in Sierra. I'm currently considering the XFX 460 Single Fan or the Sapphire 460 Single Fan. Would any of those be reasonably likely to work in a multi-monitor setup with at least display sleep working?

I'm considering picking up a cheap 460 for use in Sierra. I'm currently considering the XFX 460 Single Fan or the Sapphire 460 Single Fan. Would any of those be reasonably likely to work in a multi-monitor setup with at least display sleep working?

I was able to get the Gigabyte RX 460 (not 480) working, in fact, it may be the first one in hackintosh and the Sapphire was reported soon after. XFX 460 did not pick up acceleration like the Gigabyte. I know the Gigabyte is plug and play, the Sapphire is reported to be similar but may require a little clover injection. If you can get the Gigabyte or sapphire RX 460.

Ah that's what I suspected, thanks.

Is it correct though that when you boot with 2 cables connected (VGA/DVI i.e.) that performance of the rx480 is less than when you boot with only the dvi cable in the rx480? Or is it enough to pull the vga cable on clover? Or does the drop in performance isn't noticeable? And goes this for OSX only or for windows as wel?

The performance drop is not huge, it can make the difference between a 1903 score and 1848 in Uningine valley benchmark, so about 5% give or take a few. If your in need of max performance then just use one monitor at boot. Otherwise everything works well and it's hardly noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just reading about Radeon Chill:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-software/gaming/radeon-chill
Seems like it can be toggled but off by default.

Any way to control this via the kexts like the 36 core unlock?

OS Sierra uses different drivers than the Windows versions. Apple has "Autowattman" for energy, heat, and fan controls and they are unlikely to incorporate this Chill into it as it's quite different from the Windows drivers and directX 12 programming language. If it gets incorporated into UBuntu open Gl drivers than we may have to worry.

Thanks for your guide, but I have a problem with ASUS RX470 4G. It works without acceleration. But when doing this changes after restart computer I'm getting "No Signal" when connected with HDMI or freeze on Apple loading screen when connected with Display Port. Tried to use your guide or different ones. Edited kext config manually or injected it with Clover. Always the same result after reboot. Could you help me, where can be a problem?

Thanks for your guide, but I have a problem with ASUS RX470 4G. It works without acceleration. But when doing this changes after restart computer I'm getting "No Signal" when connected with HDMI or freeze on Apple loading screen when connected with Display Port. Tried to use your guide or different ones. Edited kext config manually or injected it with Clover. Always the same result after reboot. Could you help me, where can be a problem?

Do you have igpu, please list your system specs. It sounds like igpu is not set as primary display output. Look in bios for IGD, IGPU, or IGFX settings and enable if possible.

I have igpu onboard but not using it. So anyway I should set it as primary output?
My system specs:
ASUS H87-PLUS
I5-4430
ASUS STRIX RX 470 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back