Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
itsjared said:
Minihack!!! I love you!! I stalked some of your posts and found that you had made exactly what I've spent my whole day trying to find out how to do.

A SATA Hot-Swap Backplane!!! And that replacement part from Corsair is cheap! (Only $9!?!?!) The only thing I could find was $35 for each drive's backplane. Multiply that times four and that's stupid.

You're a lifesaver. I defintely hope to duplicate what you did. Especially since it has a fan built right on to it. Genius!

Glad to help. In the new year I am making some units from scratch which are a bit more slimline and which will bolt together to the backplate. Theses won't involve having to do any tricky alignments and will also have anti-vibration features (the prototype in my G5 mod is good, but I am sure we can improve on the sliding mechanism) . I'll be posting those up in January sometime. They'll still have the 140mm fan mounts and I LOVE the spacing that the Corsair plate gives between the drives because it means you can cool them really well and keep the case cool with the big fan.

Before coming up with what I did I looked forever on eBay and there was nothing that was short enough to fit into the G5, allow adequate cooling (others seem to blow air against a closed face which isn't really gonna work), and actually allowed a hot swap - no point in an enclosure where you can't quickly get to the drives......

If what I plan to do works then I can build these things really cost effectively and send them out flat pack for people to put their own 140 or 120 fan on them.

Anyway watch for some new designs in January or so. The only thing holding me back is waiting arrival of my lovely new workshop tool.

:)

You guys get anything cool to add for resources in building please throw them into this this thread here viewtopic.php?f=76&t=41145&p=265582#p265582

Judah will then keep the first post updated and we would have an easy to find place for all our modding needs!!

Also I will be doing another G5 mod just like mini is :D
I can't Stop!!!!!! lol plus my Cubes

eelhead said:
You guys get anything cool to add for resources in building please throw them into this this thread here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... 82#p265582

Judah will then keep the first post updated and we would have an easy to find place for all our modding needs!!

Also I will be doing another G5 mod just like mini is :D
I can't Stop!!!!!! lol plus my Cubes

Ha, Ha it's a disease.......... :headbang: :banghead: o_O

minihack said:
Ha, Ha it's a disease.......... :headbang: :banghead: o_O
I think it might be lmao!!

Judah said:
You guys need to stop modding so well...I can't buy enough components to keep up with my G5, G4 Cube and Custom case ideas!!!

Please stop inspiring others, it's getting tiring.
Yeah but its awesome will good builds means we have to do better then the last :D

eelhead, your build is amazing bro! :clap: Just got my case in from ebay and plan on making an attempt to mod it. I have been reading a ton of forums to come up with a plan to make it work. Im a novice so I hope it works out, going to take it slow. As my case didnt come with a psu im trying to think of a good way to get one in there, do you have any suggestions? Would you ever consider selling g5 psu to atx conversions? There is a awful lote of people making them these days and I know i would love to get my hands on one.

elmtz said:
eelhead, your build is amazing bro! :clap: Just got my case in from ebay and plan on making an attempt to mod it. I have been reading a ton of forums to come up with a plan to make it work. Im a novice so I hope it works out, going to take it slow. As my case didnt come with a psu im trying to think of a good way to get one in there, do you have any suggestions? Would you ever consider selling g5 psu to atx conversions? There is a awful lote of people making them these days and I know i would love to get my hands on one.
Thanks!
The biggest thing is to plan out and take your time doing it. With the PSU mounting you do have several choices like bottom front with an extension or on the top shelf at the rear.
As for the custom made PSU it takes a bit of time and then you need the right PSU you can take a part. As for my G5 and PSU it was sold a while ago, I do have 3 other cases but I am not selling and only one of those is a full unit with a PSU, the other two are just shells.

just thinking of a ps for u
enhance enp-812a
6"x3"x1 1/2"
3.3v 10a
5v 12a
12v 3a
-5v .2a
-12v .3a
125 watts

it uses atx mobo connectors etc.
I've used this for tiny music servers
don't know if it will work for u in your cubes...

Attachments

• IMG159.jpg
    IMG159.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 242
I'm currently figuring out how to mount the HDD cage inside the case.
I tried glueing the cage under the metal plate the DVD drive is sitting on, but this way is too loud, because my case is now vibrating :D

I'm unsure if the cage with two HDD installed will stay in place using the three motherboard standoffs.
Is this a silent way of mounting the cage?

Have you experienced any problems?

Best Regards :)

dddirtman said:
just thinking of a ps for u
enhance enp-812a
6"x3"x1 1/2"
3.3v 10a
5v 12a
12v 3a
-5v .2a
-12v .3a
125 watts

it uses atx mobo connectors etc.
I've used this for tiny music servers
don't know if it will work for u in your cubes...
oooo I didnt even see this dddirtman.
I'll have to look into that, even for a G5 bottom PSU

MacBeginner said:
I'm currently figuring out how to mount the HDD cage inside the case.
I tried glueing the cage under the metal plate the DVD drive is sitting on, but this way is too loud, because my case is now vibrating :D

I'm unsure if the cage with two HDD installed will stay in place using the three motherboard standoffs.
Is this a silent way of mounting the cage?

Have you experienced any problems?

Best Regards :)
Hi Macbeginner,
I didnt mount mine to the upper shelf as I was afraid of the noise as well. Mine is attached to the side of the case with the extra logic board standoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back