Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks Awesome!!! Wish I had the case modding skill to pull that off I've always really liked the Mac Pro look.

realfolkblues said:
That looks Awesome!!! Wish I had the case modding skill to pull that off I've always really liked the Mac Pro look.
Thanks!!
It's really not to hard you just need to really take your time and make sure your cuts are measured correctly several times before you cut :D

Thats always a good tip, lol. I can mod consoles but when it comes to computer cases i get a little iffy.

Hey Ellhead, I've got my G5 on its way to me right now and I was looking at getting everything I need to get it going. While I want to be a purist and not use a mobo tray I also want the thing to look good and I think yours achieves that. So I am going to end up getting the mobo tray you used.

I just need to know if you had the security flange or not and if you would rather have the 120 rather than the two 80s.

Also, could you let me know what specific and/or specialty tools I may need before diving in? Like if i need specific torx screwdrivers or things like that. Thanks.

^ Like Judah said for tool wise, your going to need a long extension as the Processors are a pain to get too lol

So yeah torx 8 and Phillips head screw driver and pliers to pop the logic boards standoffs.

Also with the Mobo tray, if you get the 120mm fan one its a tad to big for the back of the case length wise. So you would have to trim it down, the dual 80mm fits perfect with room to spare.

@ itsjared

If you've got an '04 PowerMac G5 with heatsink, you'll need a 2.5mm Hex wrench or bit with at least a 6 inch extension. The 2.5mm hex bit is not an easy thing to find in hardware stores, but better off finding at a Frys, Microcenter or similar computer store depending on location.

Thanks, guys. I am super stoked to start this mod. The eBay listing said is was for a 2005 PowerMac Dual G5. Pics are attached.

G5-Shell2.jpg

G5-Shell3.jpg

G5-Shell1.jpg

Itsjared,
Welcome and good luck.
As Eelhead says, 120mm fans are a squeeze for the back.
One 120mm can be mounted with a bit of re-arranging, two 120s can be fitted with a lot of work.
Being a glutten for punishment I did one mod with one 120mm fan and a second with two!
Both of these were done with laser cut panels instead of the usual motherboard tray and I/O panel combo.

file.php

3hyq7m

Last edited by a moderator:
Minihack!!! I love you!! I stalked some of your posts and found that you had made exactly what I've spent my whole day trying to find out how to do.

A SATA Hot-Swap Backplane!!! And that replacement part from Corsair is cheap! (Only $9!?!?!) The only thing I could find was $35 for each drive's backplane. Multiply that times four and that's stupid.

You're a lifesaver. I defintely hope to duplicate what you did. Especially since it has a fan built right on to it. Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back