Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-an-W said:
Just a quickie eelhead, do you know if a PCI-e x1 slot is fast enough for the Airport card mod (It's all I have left with my current hardware)?
It has been for me, I do a lot of online gaming and haven't had any issues with lag or speed.

hey bro! Congrats on the award! hey and how come u have the sabertooth mobo in your description? new pics? :D

btw look out for my thread, will be putting it up in a few days :D

P0w

pahoran said:
hey bro! Congrats on the award! hey and how come u have the sabertooth mobo in your description? new pics? :D

btw look out for my thread, will be putting it up in a few days :D

P0w

Thanks pahoran,

I went with the Sabertooth as I was having all sorts of buggy bios issues even with me swapping out versions 3 times. As I was trying to load Lion on it I was getting blank screen for stats in bios and then I wasn't getting any posting. I would have to reset CMOS and remove battery in order for it to reboot. Also target disk F12 would place it into a restart loop. Id get all of this every time I do a fresh install and I got tired of it.
So I went with the Sabertooth as all I needed was a mobo and I wanted a board equal to the GA-X58 as I had the CPU and Memory.

I haven't had any issues with this board except wake from sleep but over all I can shut it down and when I cold boot it it starts right up with no issues. It also loads bios so fast and then Lion loads even quicker it's like my Mac in how fast I'm in Lion that the sleep thing doesn't bother me so much.

As for new pics I sold the case and placed a Sandybridge set up in it. My next project will be a Mac Pro case as I have some HDD ideas I wan't to try out and couldn't do so with the G5 case. That will be the next project, unless I get a G4 Cube first lol we shale see.

love your build....im gonna do another g5 for my office machine
but this time I'm using a mobo tray(standoffs and cutting the back)is a huge pain
and your psu solution is very clever(and neat)..
i saw another user use grommets for the rear io opening and looked good as well

thanks for your help... :clap:

Thanks and Your welcome!

Yeah that motherboard tray is the cats meow!
The PSU took me a bit but I finally like they end result. Once I dove in it wasn't that hard to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back