Contribute
Register

Dual Monitor with H170N + HD530 integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wildwillow

I have the same issue with two monitors. It has 2xHDMI and 1xVGA on the motherboard (HD530, I7-6700, Desktop). I intend to use 2xHDMI for the monitors. I have tried all the solutions in the thread, but no luck.

one of the HDMI (lets call it HDMI_functional) works all the time, no matter booted with only one monitor or two monitors. hotplug never works and cause an black screen for all the monitors and then a crash.

If I plug these two HDMI seperately, HDMI_functional works, the other one has a black screen but I can see the desktop by using remote control.

Please help and give some suggestions for me! Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 224
  • iMac17.1.ioreg
    6.6 MB · Views: 173
argansos,
Rules
  • Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I have tried all the solutions in the thread, but no luck.
Looks like you missed a step, you need to disable AGDP.kext.
but I can see the desktop by using remote control.
That means that this dual monitor configuration should work for you but not before you apply the AGDPfix, this is relative when using HD530. See post #148

Don't get frustrated, keep that head up. Dual monitors (HD530)require different workarounds on all of these boards as each has a different result. Lets start from the beginning on your system.
Disable all the connector patches in your config.plist. Plug each monitor in separately and connect the 2nd monitor via hotplugging.

Test no patches.
1. Boot with HDMI - this is attached to port0x6. Hotplug the DVI monitor(Port0x7). If dual monitor fails boot with DVI and hotplug the HDMI monitor.

Test single connector patches.
2. If the above fails boot each monitor with the hotplug monitors connector enabled. so...
a) Boot connected to HDMI and enable only the port0x7 connector patch in your config.plist.
b) Boot connected to DVI and enable only the port0x6 connector patch in your config.plist.

3. If you still don't have dual monitors enable the primary monitors connector patch in your config.plist so...
a) Boot connected to HDMI and enable only the port 0x6 connector patch...
b) Boot connected to DVI and enable only the port 0x7 connector patch..

Take some notes of what happens on each test.
Since my mobo isn't an H170, I feel it might be better to create a new thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/seeking-help-dual-monitors-with-b150m-hd530.212159/

Hope to get your advice there. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

@wildwillow I've been doing some research and think i may have solved most issues with following your advice to others. I have 4 port patch, each port (5,6,7) patched to hdmi, hdmi and dvi respectively. i have the GFX0-to-IGPU acpi/dsdt patch and ran the AGDPFix app. My 'master' port seems to be the dvi (port 7) and i can hot plug hdmi (port 5) after boot. much progress!

But.... When i leave things running overnight, i return to a behaviour that didn't occur with single screen. The master (dvi) screen remains black on wake, the second (hdmi, port 5) shows the faded second screen for about 10 seconds then goes black. I wake with space bar. Only option is to power off.

Also... This is not always repeatable, but sometimes when the screens turn off, this will force a reboot.

Energy settings attached below. Can you assist?

Attachments

• config troubleshoot.plist
    9.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.08.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.08.06 AM.png
    47 KB · Views: 128
@wildwillow I've been doing some research and think i may have solved most issues with following your advice to others. I have 4 port patch, each port (5,6,7) patched to hdmi, hdmi and dvi respectively. i have the GFX0-to-IGPU acpi/dsdt patch and ran the AGDPFix app. My 'master' port seems to be the dvi (port 7) and i can hot plug hdmi (port 5) after boot. much progress!

But.... When i leave things running overnight, i return to a behaviour that didn't occur with single screen. The master (dvi) screen remains black on wake, the second (hdmi, port 5) shows the faded second screen for about 10 seconds then goes black. I wake with space bar. Only option is to power off.

Also... This is not always repeatable, but sometimes when the screens turn off, this will force a reboot.

Energy settings attached below. Can you assist?
Hi ajcole,
I would only recommend editing the connectors that you are using and that require the edit. I think your problem here is one that may not be solved - wake from sleep with HD530. I see in your Energy Saver window you've indicated that the you don't want system sleep to happen when the monitors are off. Sleep actually works.. it is the wake from sleep with the monitor connection giving a problem, the black screen which is actually a crash with the AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext

Hi ajcole,
I would only recommend editing the connectors that you are using and that require the edit. I think your problem here is one that may not be solved - wake from sleep with HD530. I see in your Energy Saver window you've indicated that the you don't want system sleep to happen when the monitors are off. Sleep actually works.. it is the wake from sleep with the monitor connection giving a problem, the black screen which is actually a crash with the AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext

Sleep works, but wake from sleep does not. I see the irony :)

So, is the solution to prevent sleep? or wake using a different method (remove monitor etc)? or something else?

Cheers and thanks for the quick response....

Sleep works, but wake from sleep does not. I see the irony :)

So, is the solution to prevent sleep? or wake using a different method (remove monitor etc)? or something else?

Cheers and thanks for the quick response....
Yes different method, current solution -> don't sleep with HD530.

Sweet success... Thanks to all who posted here as I have my dual monitors working.

I have a build that was destined to be a p.i.t.a.: Sierra, 7700k, Z170X UD3, Intel HD 630. Here is what I did:

1) Install using Sierra tutorial, with FakeCPUID to enable 7700 instructions found here - easy
2) Enable graphics acceleration using HD 630 instructions found here - took a while
3) Use 4 display patch and run AGDPfix running two displays over HDMI and DVI - hotplug the DVI and it worked!!!!
4) But wait, there's more: next I tried getting imessage to work, and changed system definitions using Configurator - Dual Monitors stopped working!
5) Created 10 different config.plist, ran file comparisons, pulled my hair out, still not working again
6) Changed system definitions using Multibeast to MacPro 6,1 - hotplug and IT WORKS AGAIN!!!

Lesson I learned: back that config.plist up with each change. :)

Last edited:
Ok, the smugness of my success was fleeting.

I have very intermittent success in getting dual monitors to work with no changes. One out of ten restarts allows hot plugging without crash/freeze and black screen. No changes anywhere, including USB ports, results in this behavior.

Any advice on where to check regarding what could be different during from a non-working boot to a working one? I tried looking through the logs but I am lost. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back