Contribute
Register

Dual Graphic Card like NVIDIA SLI or AMD Crossfire work in Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats my Build, it works perfect
so please jzma16 what gpu have you ? i want to install 2 radeon rx 570 8 gb you think will work togheter in macosx MOJAVE ? i need because my son use them in windows for gaming... but when i use mac i not need that the 2 works to speed up the system i need only that the system works right!!!! is it possible ? thanks

@nikketrikke I have Sapphire Vega64 and a Radeon Vega64 and both work perfect on Mac OS Mojave, and they work out of the box, no fix needs to be done after install Mojave
perfect thank you very much

the 2 cards must be the same model suppose… i cannot put a rx 570 and a rx 580 to work in crossfire mode

the 2 cards must be the same model suppose… i cannot put a rx 570 and a rx 580 to work in crossfire mode

Mac OS does not support crossfire or SLI, it does not use dual video cards in the way that Windows does. The way the Mac OS driver functions you could have different cards though it likely is not going to provide you with the performance increase you are expecting. Under windows to crossfire you must have the same card and I believe from the same vender and your board must support it as well.

Mac OS does not support crossfire or SLI, it does not use dual video cards in the way that Windows does. The way the Mac OS driver functions you could have different cards though it likely is not going to provide you with the performance increase you are expecting. Under windows to crossfire you must have the same card and I believe from the same vender and your board must support it as well.
ok thanks

That's kind of sad to hear. Are you sure? What does Mac OS do with additional cards then? Power them up and idle them? It would be nice if there was the ability to have some AMD driver control in this environment. It would also be nice if virtual machines could more directly access hardware such as graphics cards. Especially when there are extra. Any sign of this in the future in your mind? Someone mentioned possibly with Metal 2- though I don't know much about what that is.

Since mining kinda sucks right now, I've got unlimited Vega FE cards. Anyone think more than 2 would be used by the OS?

That's kind of sad to hear....

@Eksster,

MacOS supports using two Vegas (the iMac Pro can be specified with dual Vega's) but they don't run as Crossfire, MacOS load balances GPU load across them. Take a look at @blouse build using two vegas for an example :-

With regards to the original post, I believe it is possible to use Nvidia SIL as long as you use the Nvidia WebDriver, however it's my understanding that many of the latest releases of the Nvidia Web Driver are very buggy when used on a Dual Nvidia/SIL system and you have to use a old version of the Nvidia WebDriver to get stability.

Cheers
Jay

Also, with macOS it is dependent on the individual app. With dual AMD RX 480 cards for instance Luxmark ball openCl will get double the score 28,000 vs 14,000 for a single card. But Geekbench openCL will only score 140,000 whether there is one or two cards.
Some video rendering apps will make use of both cards but many won’t.

Gaming or OpenGL apps won’t recognize dual cards at all.

Also, with macOS it is dependent on the individual app. With dual AMD RX 480 cards for instance Luxmark ball openCl will get double the score 28,000 vs 14,000 for a single card. But Geekbench openCL will only score 140,000 whether there is one or two cards.
Some video rendering apps will make use of both cards but many won’t.

Gaming or OpenGL apps won’t recognize dual cards at all.

I would guess that Lexmark is doing something to override the driver and force it to use both cards. Where, most applications allow the OS driver to decide what is best. In the case of the Mac Pro 2013 one of the cards was headless as when you connected a monitor it only connected to the first card listed no matter what TB. The second one was a ghost, it was not recognized by games or programs. I do not even think Lux mark saw that it was there but I no longer have that machine to be 100%. sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back