Contribute
Register

Dual Boot with Windows 7 & Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I've reinstalled yet again. This time without using Multibeast as it took away my ethernet connection last time and Chimera didn't work out anyway. I tried using Chameleon 2.1, but on restart I get the message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...............

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

and it hangs forever, I'm assuming.

I can currently boot Windows or Mountain Lion via my Unibeast USB HDD, but it would be nice to not have the need for it to be plugged in when I start my computer.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would highly appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks again for all the help!

Update:

I've reinstalled yet again. This time without using Multibeast as it took away my ethernet connection last time and Chimera didn't work out anyway. I tried using Chameleon 2.1, but on restart I get the message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...............

boot0: error

and it hangs forever, I'm assuming.

I can currently boot Windows or Mountain Lion via my Unibeast USB HDD, but it would be nice to not have the need for it to be plugged in when I start my computer.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would highly appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks again for all the help!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Hah. It may have something to do with deleting Chameleon? I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac OS X ML so I don't understand some basics. I figured when I downloaded Chameleon 2.1, I'd run the wizard and let the installation complete. Then I deleted what I thought were just the installation files. But am I supposed to be keeping them somewhere? Because I've now got Chameleon Wizard trying to edit org.chameleon.Boot, but the only place I can find that file to edit is if I download Chameleon again and look in the sidebar to see "Chameleon" under devices. But that org.chameleon.Boot is Read-Only and I can't edit it. I was under the impression that the Chameleon install wrote some files somewhere else on my hard drive. Because even though I deleted those files I get the Chameleon boot screen. But perhaps it's why I'm getting the frozen apple screen. I'm beyond confused and in way over my head, but I feel like with a few more tweaks I can get this thing booting from my OS hard drive and get the App Store working (App Store problems are why I've downloaded Chameleon Wizard: http://www.computersnyou.com/2012/0...-app-store-login-problem-solution-hackintosh/)

Hah. It may have something to do with deleting Chameleon? I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac OS X ML so I don't understand some basics. I figured when I downloaded Chameleon 2.1, I'd run the wizard and let the installation complete. Then I deleted what I thought were just the installation files. But am I supposed to be keeping them somewhere? Because I've now got Chameleon Wizard trying to edit org.chameleon.Boot, but the only place I can find that file to edit is if I download Chameleon again and look in the sidebar to see "Chameleon" under devices. But that org.chameleon.Boot is Read-Only and I can't edit it. I was under the impression that the Chameleon install wrote some files somewhere else on my hard drive. Because even though I deleted those files I get the Chameleon boot screen. But perhaps it's why I'm getting the frozen apple screen. I'm beyond confused and in way over my head, but I feel like with a few more tweaks I can get this thing booting from my OS hard drive and get the App Store working (App Store problems are why I've downloaded Chameleon Wizard: http://www.computersnyou.com/2012/0...-app-store-login-problem-solution-hackintosh/)

There are 3 basic files you need to boot OS X
Boot0md goes on the HDD/SSD MBR - you will never see it in finder.
Boot1h goes on the OS X partition MBR- you will never see it in finder.
Boot goes in the root of the partition where OS X is installed. You will only see this hidden file if you enable show all files.

3 basic files required to run OS X located in /Extra
smbios.boot.plist - tells the system what the system definition is - what model mac it is
org.chameleon.boot.plist - tells chameleon what to load as far as the basics - which kernel, graphics mode, etc.
themes - a GUI for the chameleon boot loader - you can get away without this if you just want a bare list.

The org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra is to inject files/settings/instructions that are in the chameleon boot loader during the boot process that are not in OS X, but are needed to run OS X on your hardware.

There are 3 basic files you need to boot OS X
Boot0md goes on the HDD/SSD MBR - you will never see it in finder.
Boot1h goes on the OS X partition MBR- you will never see it in finder.
Boot goes in the root of the partition where OS X is installed. You will only see this hidden file if you enable show all files.

3 basic files required to run OS X located in /Extra
smbios.boot.plist - tells the system what the system definition is - what model mac it is
org.chameleon.boot.plist - tells chameleon what to load as far as the basics - which kernel, graphics mode, etc.
themes - a GUI for the chameleon boot loader - you can get away without this if you just want a bare list.

The org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra is to inject files/settings/instructions that are in the chameleon boot loader during the boot process that are not in OS X, but are needed to run OS X on your hardware.

Okay, so that clears most things up, but I'm still confused about org.chameleon.boot.plist
Do you mean it's just an editable code that needs to be changed before running Chameleon to see the effects, and can therefore Chameleon can be ejected after installation?
Or is it a file that is read by OS X every time it boots so it's required to be in my file system? If so, was it written somewhere else on the hard drive, or should I never eject the device "Chameleon" from now on?

Also, I meant to post another update before that but it never made it into the thread, so I'll recap:
RehabMan, thanks for the link! It didn't work out for me, but it set me on the right trail. I used this tutorial: http://www.computersnyou.com/2012/0...-app-store-login-problem-solution-hackintosh/
and I managed to get to the Chameleon boot screen. But after I choose my ML hard drive, it freezes on the apple startup screen and I've had to manually power down twice. Then I did some digging into Chameleon Wizard and figured maybe my lack of knowledge on org.chameleon.boot.plist had something to do with it. Sorry for all the confusing details. It really means a lot that you guys are trying to help me out.

Okay, so that clears most things up, but I'm still confused about org.chameleon.boot.plist

It is a text file that basically gives some instructions to the Chameleon boot loader. For instance, here is the one from my X58A-UD7

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It tells Chameleon the ethernet is built-into the system, to load graphics enabler, to use Instant Menu, to boot the mach_kernel, to always boot verbose and to use the kernel cache. My system doesn't need anything else. Some of the Z77 boards need darkwake flag, npci defined, pcirootuid defined, etc.

What you include is really determined by what your board needs that Chameleon has.

There are a lot of different keys that you can add and a lot of kernel flags you can add here instead of typing them in every time you boot.
See http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Com.apple.Boot.plist for some of the ones used by Chimera - they are based on the ones used by Chameleon, and Chameleon has a lot more you can use - see the Chameleon development site for more info.

It is a text file that basically gives some instructions to the Chameleon boot loader. For instance, here is the one from my X58A-UD7

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It tells Chameleon the ethernet is built-into the system, to load graphics enabler, to use Instant Menu, to boot the mach_kernel, to always boot verbose and to use the kernel cache. My system doesn't need anything else. Some of the Z77 boards need darkwake flag, npci defined, pcirootuid defined, etc.

What you include is really determined by what your board needs that Chameleon has.

There are a lot of different keys that you can add and a lot of kernel flags you can add here instead of typing them in every time you boot.
See http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Com.apple.Boot.plist for some of the ones used by Chimera - they are based on the ones used by Chameleon, and Chameleon has a lot more you can use - see the Chameleon development site for more info.

Alright, great! Very informative. But what I'm mostly wondering is if I delete the original Chameleon .iso then does my computer still have that particular file somewhere to read? When I'm using Chameleon Wizard, which file should I be targeting (under what specific directory) for it to make a difference? Because the one I've tried targeting is in the original Chameleon installer and it won't work. When I try to manually edit it with TextEdit, it says it's a read-only file that I can't alter.

Second question: Could the fact that I've deleted this file have anything to do with my computer freezing on the apple startup screen when booting from the OS hard drive?

Sorry that I was confusing in my earlier post, I think that makes it a little bit more clear what I'm mixed up about.

Okay, I think I may have cleared it up. Multibeast creates an Extra folder on your hard drive with the .plist in it to be edited by Chameleon.
But I only downloaded Chameleon 2.1 and ran the install. For some reason it doesn't create this folder. I don't know why. If I run Multibeast after running Chameleon will my machine implode and create a black hole? (But seriously, is that a bad idea?)

My Mac OS hard drive will no longer boot whether I trying booting from Chameleon or from my USB Unibeast. It might be because I ran Chameleon 2.1 twice, hoping for it to make an Extra folder with the .plist in it. It didn't. I made my own Extra folder and made a .plist using Chameleon Wizard. That also may have been the cause.

When I boot with Chameleon, I don't see an apple loading screen anymore, I see white text updating me on everything it's reading. Then I get the message:

"System uptime in nanoseconds: ___________" (A large number I don't remember)

I have read some threads suggesting some files to delete, but I can't boot into OS X at all. Perhaps if I can access the hard drive through Windows?

Jasonmireau,

If you see a white screen, your system still has potential to boot! Try using -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes OR -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000 if booting from the Nvidia card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back