Contribute
Register

Dual Boot with Windows 7 & Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the main thing that needed to be enabled was UEFI so mac could run so maybe the UEFI framework in my motherboard model is bugged or something because it's the last thing you would think to disable.

No, you don't need UEFI to run Mac. You only need it if you are going to use a UEFI boot loader, which Chameleon/Chimera is not. OS X is EFI based, but Chimera takes care of that translation, but is itself (to the BIOS) a BIOS/Legacy based boot loader.

Glad you got it working.

No, you don't need UEFI to run Mac. You only need it if you are going to use a UEFI boot loader, which Chameleon/Chimera is not. OS X is EFI based, but Chimera takes care of that translation, but is itself (to the BIOS) a BIOS/Legacy based boot loader.

Glad you got it working.

Oh I see I got confused between UEFI and EFI.

Clover would require me to enable UEFI but if I used that then my system would become useless seeing as it stops me automatically booting into the loader.

Oh I see I got confused between UEFI and EFI.

Clover would require me to enable UEFI but if I used that then my system would become useless seeing as it stops me automatically booting into the loader.

Actually, I have used Clover on my system, but never from the HDD. I was just playing around with it on USB flash. But I think it would work... at this point there isn't much reason for me to try further because Chimera works fine. UEFI boot is completely different from BIOS/Legacy boot -- it actually loads boot files from the file system, instead of relying on boot records.

Since OS X must be installed on an HFS+ paritition, you first need to create space on the hd for that paritition. This can be done by shrinking the existing (presumably single) ntfs partition from either the disk management gui (found in control panel --> administrative tools --> computer management --> disk management) or from a command line; either way. Use the shrink command to decrease the size of the ntfs volume as you wish. This will give you a new volume which you'll want to either leave unformatted or format in FAT. When you start the OS X install, go to the utilities and format the empty volume with HFS+ and guid. After OS X installation, run Multibeast to install Chimera and options as required. On boot you should be able to select to boot into OS X or Windows.
Hi ghorwith thank you for reply. If I want to remove entire hard to install Mac and Win Seven, my recovery partition will be removed but I have recovery DVD's that I created before. Now after installation of Mac Mountain Lion can I recover Win 7 with recovery DVD's whiles recovery partition is removed.;)

Since OS X must be installed on an HFS+ paritition, you first need to create space on the hd for that paritition. This can be done by shrinking the existing (presumably single) ntfs partition from either the disk management gui (found in control panel --> administrative tools --> computer management --> disk management) or from a command line; either way. Use the shrink command to decrease the size of the ntfs volume as you wish. This will give you a new volume which you'll want to either leave unformatted or format in FAT. When you start the OS X install, go to the utilities and format the empty volume with HFS+ and guid. After OS X installation, run Multibeast to install Chimera and options as required. On boot you should be able to select to boot into OS X or Windows.

This procedure will not work. If the HDD is partitioned with Master Boot Record partition tables and Win7 installed on partition formatted NTFS, shrinking the partition to allow some free space to install OS X won't work because OS X requires GloballyUniqueIDentifier partition tables (GPT). It is not possible to partition/format one volume/partition as MBR and a second volume/partition GPT, you must have the entire drive either MBR or GPT - not mixed.

This procedure will not work. If the HDD is partitioned with Master Boot Record partition tables and Win7 installed on partition formatted NTFS, shrinking the partition to allow some free space to install OS X won't work because OS X requires GloballyUniqueIDentifier partition tables (GPT). It is not possible to partition/format one volume/partition as MBR and a second volume/partition GPT, you must have the entire drive either MBR or GPT - not mixed.
Absolutely correct. My thought was to shrink the volume to provide space to load OS X, but then replace the MBR with GPT since of course, chimera will present a menu of the OS to continue the boot process. When I last did it (granted, a while ago) the win 7 was actually in 2 volumes, one that contained the OS, applications, etc., a small boot loader labeled 'system reserved' for win 7, and the mbr of course gets replaced by the gpt.

Great! It took me a long time, but thanks to the advice in this thread and a few other tutorials I've finally got my Mac partition booting from chameleon with no problems. The only problem remaining is that I can't plug any USB devices into my computer without it freezing when I'm booted in OSX. If I plug my USB devices in before I start my computer, they're perfectly functional when I've booted. But when I plug in a drive after boot, my computer freezes and I'm forced to restart.

I tried tinkering with kext files and replacing kext files with downloads from this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-95-working-except-some-weird-usb-issues.html
But it didn't work for me.

Here are the specs for my computer:

Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Sorry that I'm so useless, thanks for your help!

Hey, just bumping the thread. I'd really appreciate any knowledge that anybody has to share. : )

I think you will have to install stage0 Chimera by hand onto your P1 (Windows disk) since that is the only one it is giving you for BIOS boot (seems like it wants to do UEFI boot if it finds GPT setup, which isn't going to work for Chimera).

So first, run "diskutil list" in Terminal to determine which disk is your Windows/Ubuntu disk:
Code:
# in Terminal
diskutil list

You will see which disk (disk0 or disk1) is your Windows disk (P1) from the output of diskutil.

Then run the command I gave you, again in Terminal
Code:
# in Terminal
# substitute your BIOS boot drive for rdisk0 as necessary
sudo /usr/sbin/fdisk440 -f /usr/standalone/i386/boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0

That will get your boot0md onto the boot record of the P1 disk (replacing the Windows boot loader), which your BIOS will boot to, which will allow Chimera to run and give you boot selection.

Pardon me in advance if I may have made a faut pas but I've got a dilemma in my hands. I just finished building a hackintosh machine to dual boot with Windows 7 on 1TB hard drive. I partitioned it into 3, one for ML, 1 for Windows, and the other one for storage. I'm trying to dual boot, but I can't seem to differentiate which of the partitions to boot from because under BIOS, all 3 UEFI parts are the same in name. What do I do? I have to keep my unibeast connected in order to log on to either sides. Please any help would be very appreciated.

Pardon me in advance if I may have made a faut pas but I've got a dilemma in my hands. I just finished building a hackintosh machine to dual boot with Windows 7 on 1TB hard drive. I partitioned it into 3, one for ML, 1 for Windows, and the other one for storage. I'm trying to dual boot, but I can't seem to differentiate which of the partitions to boot from because under BIOS, all 3 UEFI parts are the same in name. What do I do? I have to keep my unibeast connected in order to log on to either sides. Please any help would be very appreciated.

Then you haven't installed properly. See
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Win7 works just the same as Win8 does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back