Contribute
Register

dual boot Mac OS X sierra and windows 10 on pc (windows 10 pre installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have a compatible laptop for installing mac os x sierra, i have on it windows 10, i want to dual boot it with sierra but i dont want to lose my windows 10 (i dont want to do a clean install) i want to install ot on the same drive on another partition

Is there a way to dual boot it without losing the windows 20 and its data?

OR!

Is there a way to install sierra on external hard drive and boot it when needed?

If yes for any of the questions, please post a link to a step by step installation guide. Thank you

Hi. I have a compatible laptop for installing mac os x sierra, i have on it windows 10, i want to dual boot it with sierra but i dont want to lose my windows 10 (i dont want to do a clean install) i want to install ot on the same drive on another partition

Is there a way to dual boot it without losing the windows 20 and its data?

OR!

Is there a way to install sierra on external hard drive and boot it when needed?

If yes for any of the questions, please post a link to a step by step installation guide. Thank you
Answer depends on the size of the EFI partition. If less than 200MB, no, you must reformat the drive.
Your best help for a laptop will be found in the Laptop forum.

Here are my partitions. I want to install the Mac os on disk M. Will it work? Is my efi partition enough?

Answer depends on the size of the EFI partition. If less than 200MB, no, you must reformat the drive.
Your best help for a laptop will be found in the Laptop forum.

Here are my partitions. I want to install the Mac os on disk M. Will it work? Is my efi partition enough? Please see the image attached

Attachments

• Disks.jpg
    Disks.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 817
Here are my partitions. I want to install the Mac os on disk M. Will it work? Is my efi partition enough? Please see the image attached
No, you have no EFI partition. From the looks you have installed Windows Legacy BIOS Mode - click start - click run, type msinfo32 and hit enter. Post the resulting popup window.

No, you have no EFI partition. From the looks you have installed Windows Legacy BIOS Mode - click start - click run, type msinfo32 and hit enter. Post the resulting popup window.

I reinstalled windows in uefi mode, but i got the efi partition only 99mbs. Is there a way to increase its size? Or can i make another efi partition using mini tool, make it more than 250mbs and install mac os to dual boot after that?

I reinstalled windows in uefi mode, but i got the efi partition only 99mbs. Is there a way to increase its size? Or can i make another efi partition using mini tool, make it more than 250mbs and install mac os to dual boot after that?
Your best bet if installing Win10 first is to use the command prompt window in the Win10 installer at the first screen and use diskpart to clean the drive, convert it GPT, then create a 300MB or larger EFI partition and then exit the commnad window and continue the Win10 install. That way, the partition is large enough and it is the first partition on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back