Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

I tryed to change it with multibeast to 5,1 but OS X won't start anymore so i had to switch back to 3,1..

How could install it?
Change to iMac14,2.

I am on Yosemite 10.10.5. Will this method work for me or do I need to go for a fresh install, which I'd rather avoid. Reason for updating now is to install Pascal GPU. Also am on sandy bridge so sys identifier is at 12,1 do I need to change that
Sierra runs on these Macs:
  • MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)
So, yes, your iMac12,1 System Definition will allow you to install Sierra.

Finally got around to doing this (10.11.6 to 10.12.4) and I wish I'd done it earlier. I installed the latest Clover from the sourceforge site and the latest FakeSMC from RehabMan's bitbucket before starting and then just had 3 things to tweak:

1) Had to replace my Ethernet injector kext for my PCIe Ethernet card with the one found here
2) Had to remove Shiki and the iMac.kext from /kexts/Other before the NV web drivers would load (it insisted I didn't have a card installed at all)
3) the customary run of AGDPFix since I'm using a 17,1 definition.

Next up: Pascal!

May be this will help user who has similar config as mine.

I have just finished updating my Hackintosh without any problems.
First I installed latest clover then copied necessary kext (FakeSMC, HDMIAudio, AtherosE2200) files to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
I did not download the full Sierra or combo update. I downloaded and installed update from AppStore->Update as regular Mac does.
That's all. No issues so far. 4K, HDMI audio, Nvidia web everything working as it was before update.

My system config:
i5 4670K
MSI Z87 G43 gaming
16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz RAM
240 GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 650 1GB
System name: iMac (27-inch late 2013)

Just some help for noobs like me.

When it says "Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/"

What this really meant for me is "copy all (at least for my setup) kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11" to that folder. For me, I kept trying to find these kexts online, and then finally realized that they were right in front of me.

Also for me there was no option for caches in the boot options, sounds like that's meant for an older version of clover or something.

Here are the exact steps I took:
-1) Made Carbon copy clone of my boot drive (thank god)
1) Unplugged all non-essential hard drives (windows backups etc)
2) Copied fakeSMC kext from 10.11 to Other in efi partition
3) ran sierra installer app
4) rebooted
5) Installer competed and rebooted
6) couldn't boot anything, kept giving kernel panics
7) plugged in and booted off my carbon clone, loaded efi partition from actual boot drive
8) copied rest of kexts from 10.11 to Other in efi partition.
9) everything boots fine, sierra seems succesful
10) Audio not working
11) Uninstalled appleHDA.kext and any audio kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
12) restored native apple HDA using pacifist
13)ran multibeast (sierra one) selecting realtek ALC898
14)rebooted, audio works, seems fine after sleep (wasn't working well before in el capitan, seems better now)
15)problems with ICloud, needed to reset network interfaces
16) Update: to fix audio popping
17) Turns out front panel audio not working (headphone and mic). Didn't try it out until now. Will post back when fixed. I posted for help in the audio forums since I couldn't figure it out on my own.

Last edited:
I'm really confused about this "Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/"

Where should I copy from those kext files? I don't have any kext files under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
All the kext files are in /System/Libraries/Extensions and a few under /Libraries/Extensions (including FakeSMC.kext)

When I installed El Capitan, I followed this guide, which uses Unibeast to boot and install the OS and afterwards Multibeast to install kext files. I guess that is why I don't have any files under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11, so I guess Clover is not injecting those.

Am I right? Can you please help me understand?

EDIT: I finally was able to update successfully by copying the following kext files to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext
/System/Extensions/Libraries/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
/System/Extensions/Libraries/ApplePS2Controller.kext
The last two because I have a PS2 keyboard.
After installing Sierra, I downloaded the last version of Multibeast and installed just the sound drivers.

The only thing that does not work is "About This Mac", it will just not open.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Fernandospr for your post. Neither did I find any kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kext and all subfolders. I'll go check those folders you mentioned for the relevant kexts to copy over.

Are you mounting the hidden EFI drive? Perhaps they were in an older folder (maybe 10.10?). I'm a relative noob, but perhaps you made the system definition wrong, which is why About this Mac isn't working? I know I had to change my system definition when I upgraded to Sierra.

Hi All Sierra will not download for me from the app store it has an error "This version of MacOS can not be installed on this computer." Suspect it is because my system definition is MacPro3,1. Ive tried to update that to MacPro6,1 via clover however has issues booting in clover and stops half way through the white progress bar. Any input would be great. Ive also tried iMac 14,2 definition from other posts however had same issues and prefer MacPro 6,1. Mainboard is X79 UD5.

Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 12.01.48 AM.png
View attachment 260914

Hi All Sierra will not download for me from the app store it has an error "This version of MacOS can not be installed on this computer." Suspect it is because my system definition is MacPro3,1. Ive tried to update that to MacPro6,1 via clover however has issues booting in clover and stops half way through the white progress bar. Any input would be great. Ive also tried iMac 14,2 definition from other posts however had same issues and prefer MacPro 6,1. Mainboard is X79 UD5.

Thanks!!

View attachment 260913 View attachment 260914

It is indeed your system definition that is the problem, the MacPro3,1 does not meet the minimum spec required to install Sierra.
Suggest you change to iMac14,2 but if you prefer a MacPro6,1 (which can give you more problems) you should make plans to avoid the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext which will KP on boot.

Back