1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
cloverbeast.png

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Established Clover users on OS X El Capitan who wish to update directly to macOS Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working OS X El Capitan installation.

1. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge and update your existing Clover install.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 7.48.54 AM.png

3. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating. Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

6. Complete the installation process. When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

7. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

:thumbup:

Related:

macOS Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Some Broadcom mini-PCIe Devices Unsupported in macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

Apple Releases macOS Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers
macOS Sierra Upgrade Available on September 20th
macOS Sierra Public Beta 7 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 6 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 5 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 4 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 3 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 2 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta is Now Available
How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta
Introducing the macOS Sierra Critter!
Sierra Desktop Support
Sierra Desktop Guides
Sierra Laptop Support
Sierra Laptop Guides
Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016
tonymacx86 Clover Theme

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how I did the backup of beta Sierra.

Required: Formatted spare drive with an empty EFI partition. Copy Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper.
:ch:Clone (backup) your current OS X partition to the backup drive.
:ch:Open the Terminal and execute the following command:
Code:
diskutil list
:ch:Find your EFI partitions from the output of the above command:
disksXs1 > your current installation EFI partition
disksYs1 > your backup EFI partition​
:ch:Mount each EFI partition using EFI Mounter v3 - be sure to keep track of which EFI is what as they will both mount on your Desktop as EFI.
:ch:Copy the EFI folder (within the EFI partition) from the installation drive to the EFI partition of the backup drive.​
You can test your backup by booting into your BIOS, selecting the Backup drive as your boot drive, save and boot to the Backup drive. Everything should work fine. If so, reboot into the BIOS, re-select the installation drive, save and boot into the installation drive.

Whats Audio & Nvidia driver support like?

Wondering if folk can help. I've downloaded Sierra and tried to install. Upon reboot via Clover the 'Boot macOS Install' option does not show up. And therefore the machine just boots right back into the old El Capitan install. Tried a few times with the same result.

In terms of system, I have fixed the system definition to iMac 14,2 and it shows up in About This Mac as a 27-inch, Late 2013 iMac. I am using Clover Configurator version 4.32.0 which I think is the latest one (hitting check for updates says that this is the newest version available).

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

did as said. mac restarted, loading bar appeared. After loading (took a while) a grey screen appeared with the marble of doom :beachball: ... Then I waited some time, got fed up and shut the mac down (holding power button) ... My El Cap still works.

Any ideas?

Did you boot without cache? did you put kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/other? How does your L/E look?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back