Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 15r: Unibeast boot screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you created the USB, did you check to install the Laptop drivers ?

Also try this. not sure if you tried these already

GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@75" PCIRootUID=1 -f -x

Okay I tried that stuff but no luck again. I think I just figured out something pretty important though. It appears that my computer only has usb 3.0 ports. I need to do this unibeast thing using a usb 2.0 port right? And if so, I can't think of any workarounds. Any ideas?

Hmmm... yes... that could be a problem. My 14r has a dedicated USB 2.0 port and an eSATA/USB 2.0 port in addition to a couple of USB 3.0 ports. The USB 3.0 ports wouldn't work during the install. Of course, I wasn't doing the Unibeast method, either.

Okay... which method are you trying to use, specifically? Are you trying to install directly? Use the cloning method? Do you have access to a mac? You might be able to make use of the SD card slot instead of the USB ports. You should be able to boot from an SD card slot. Also, can you make a SD card version of the Snow Leopard Install disc? That would solve the problem of the freezing during iBoot. Unless you're doing the cloning method, you're going to have to do some patch to get the OS X installer to install on an MBR drive.

Initially, I tried the iBoot method. Because that didn't work, I've been trying to directly install Lion on a partition of my hard drive using unibeast. No cloning method or anything like that. Also, can I make a Snow Leopard usb (rather than an sd card) to go along with the iBoot disc I have?

Just checking something here, are you sure the mach_kernel of the Lion you're booting supports Ivy Bridge? If not, get latest Bridge Helper replace your current kernel with the one from the package. Then it should boot.

That was the problem! Turns out I needed to install the ivy bridge kernel onto my usb drive with bridgehelper 5.0. I guess the thought had never crossed my mind because I thought my processor was supported because, like Apple computers, my laptop has an intel processor. But I re-read the bridgehelper stuff and you were right about me needing it.

Now I have a new problem though. I still can't get to the installer because the gray apple screen comes up and stays up. After a while, the little sign with the circle with a line through it appears on the apple and I get no further. In verbose mode, it says still waiting for root device. I've read some other threads, and for some people this problem is caused by using a usb 3.0 port. In my case, that is all I have. I have no usb 2.0 ports, so if that's the reason it's not working, I still have a slight problem.

I've tried a couple boot flags, such as PCIRootUID=0. Then I tried PCIRootUID=1 with GraphicsEnabler=No. No Success with those yet, but maybe I'm just not doing the right combination.

yes, it needs to be USB 2.0.

Don't think there is a boot process that can load the USB 3.0 drivers.

But with HP, the left side of the laptop is USB 3.0 and the right side is USB 2.0

Did you try the other side of your laptop?

I've tried both sides. I'm pretty sure they are all usb 3.0 because the internet said the dell inspiron 15r has four 3.0 ports. Plus they are all blue, which I've read is also a sign for 3.0 ports. There has to be some kind of workaround though.

Hmm. Odd there is no 2.0
Is there a setting in the BIOS for allowing 2.0 or turn 3.0 off?

Otherwise your pretty much SOL

ooh... what IF you burn the Bootable USB to a DVD ?
and boot from DVD

it is weird right? I don't know how to do that in my bios settings though. I like the dvd idea though haha! I think I will try that on an 8gb dvd. I guess I would just burn the exact contents of the usb to the dvd. Will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back