Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 15r: Unibeast boot screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you have a Dell.

Ehm... Either F1, F10, F11, F12 or Del. You see it at the left bottom when you boot up your laptop.

Mine is F10

Oh I know how to get into my bios settings. I just don't know how to change the usb settings from it.

ooh..
Well, see if there is something about USB 2.0, 3.0 or legacy
and see if you can change the value of it.. usually it's page up or pagedown
You see it at the bottom, which keys you can use.
And just switch then, and see what options there are.

Yeah, look in your BIOS for a xHCI mode or something like that and put it on disabled. Or if you don't mind resetting your BIOS to factory settings, which temporarily activates USB 2.0 only, do it then immediately boot into the USB installer. If you boot into Windows or another OS that has USB 3.0 drivers, USB 3.0 will get activated again and you'll have to reset BIOS settings again.

Okay I don't see anything in my bios that signals usb 3.0. I could not find an xHCI mode, and when I loaded default settings for bios and then tried to boot I still ran into the same problem. Maybe loading the default settings isn't the same as restoring bios to factory settings. I don't know.

does anyone know how to deactivate usb 3.0, install lion with usb 3.0, or know another method of installing lion without usb ( I know this last one may be a silly question )?

You might try using an SD card instead of a USB stick. I believe the 15r is capable of booting from the card reader. Whether it would work or not for installing Lion, I'm not sure... but it might be worth a shot.

Of course, I don't know what kind of bus the card reader is on. If it uses the USB 3 bus, I don't know if it will work.

Hi there! (if anybody)

I just came across this thread and I know how to get past this USB 3.0 issue.

remove the AppleUSBXHCI.kext inside Plugins directory in IOUSBFamily.kext.

Find it in the /System/Library/Extensions Folder.

This makes USB 3.0 ports to work as USB 2.0 ports.

boot using rd=diskXsY where X represents disk number and Y represents the partition number.
To check it, boot using unibeast usb. At the Unibeast boot screen press TAB key.
You'll see a listing like:

hd(0,1) Mac OS X Base System

here 0 is the disk number and 1 is the partition number..

Good Luck!

I also have the same Laptop, Dell Inspiron 15r 3521.

I installed Hackintosh Mountain Lion OSX. But it freezes on Apple logo.

I tryed boot flags mentioned above in ur posts.

but nothing works.

see below msg.

PR87pfh.jpg

2nd image, same screen.

wI8aXEJ.jpg

I also have the same Laptop, Dell Inspiron 15r 3521.

I installed Hackintosh Mountain Lion OSX. But it freezes on Apple logo.

You are installing ML, not Lion. You should probably post in the ML laptop forum instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back