Contribute
Register

Dell 7548, Clover, Yosemite, i7-5500U, 1920x1080, Intel Video w/Touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey StarbuckSteve,
Thanks again for posting the info. I've got the very same laptop as you; 7548, i7 5500U, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 M270, 4K Screen.
I'm attempting to copy your Clover install. I've followed the Clover Laptop guide, then replaced the files in EFI/Clover/ with the ones you provided (including adding my own serial number into the .plist) and used the terminal method to create a restore partition.
I can get the loader to run but I'm getting stuck way before reaching the installer. I had a go at adding a few extra boot flags (the same ones I used for a successful unibeast boot, PCIRootUID=0 dart=0, and a few others), but nothing seems to work. Am I missing a step somewhere?
I've attached a photo of the last screen displayed during bootView attachment 135566

Have you had any success with the 4k model?

Hey Mac1,
Unfortunately not. I kinda gave up after a while, I'm by no means experienced with Hackintosh, and attempting to sort out the most basic problems (graphics, cpu) had me stumped. I keep checking back tho, to see if anyone else has made any progress. Fingers crossed!

I'm working on a GUIDE for this. Here is the portion relevant to the DVMT modification.

Prepare for build starting in Windows:
Place my ARCHIVE folder in the ROOT of a FAT32 formatted USB STICK/DRIVE for booting later.

INSTALL THE LATEST BIOS - mine is currently A03 from June 15, 2015. I already had what I thought was A03, I was incorrect.
If you had EXTRACTED YOUR DSDT BEFORE UPDATE, you MUST extract it again!

Make space for your install(s) by shrinking the Windows 8 partition.
1) Turn off hibernate in Windows 8 - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html
a) 'Search' for CMD (picture in ARCHIVE folder, SEARCH.jpg)
b) Right button click - Run as administrator
c) Run command: powercfg /h off

2) Make room for the Mac (and Ubuntu, if desired)
a) Shrink the Windows drive to the size you need; mine is 60GB as I do not really use windows for much
b) You need to establish the rest of your partitions now, under Windows, as the Windows GUID scheme isn't totally compatible and the MAC OS will NOT modify any partition in either size or add/remove - you do not need to format them; just allocate them.
- I used 20 GB for Ubuntu and the rest for the Mac drive(s), approx. 830GB. Mine is divided into two drives, 90GB and 730GB but that is not necessary nor would I necessarily recommend it. My previous hackintosh had 2 physical drives so I stored my users data on the second drive. Don't do that unless you are familiar with the process.
- I left the DELL recovery partition in place - I have actually restored the Windows parition with the recovery parition multiple times since my Mac build ... I dislike Windows.

3) Modify the DVMT video settings
a) Put my ARCHIVE folder on your windows drive. It contains the three programs you'll need to obtain your SETUP_VAR offset as well as pictures of the process referenced below.
b) Download the latest BIOS from DELL and install it; mine is A03 dated 2015-Jun-5. Reboot.
c) Execute 'AFUWINGUI.EXE' from the ARCHIVE - we have AMI AptioV UEFI on our machines (AFUWINGUI_1.jpg)
d) Press SAVE; I named my file DELLA03BIOS.ROM - it will display a window exactly like that you saw when you updated your BIOS.
e) Press EXIT (AFUWINGUI_2.jpg).
f) Execute 'UEFITOOL.exe'.
i. OPEN your BIOS ROM file saved in step 3.d above.
ii. Follow the two pictures: UEFITOOL_2.jpg for part one and UEFITOOL_3.jpg to locate 'SETUP'.
iii. Point to PE32 image section and using the right-button click, choose EXTRACT BODY and name the file to be saved; I called mine 'SETUP.BIN'.
g) Execute 'Universal IFR Extractor.exe'.
i. OPEN your SETUP file saved in step 3.f.iii above (U_IFR_E_1.jpg).
ii. Search for 'DVMT' (U_IFR_E_2.jpg).
iii. Note your offset and the value representing 96MB; you will use them in the next step (U_IFR_E_3.jpg).
h) Exit Windows and reboot. Press F2 to enter setup.
i. Right arrow to BOOT
ii. Disable SECURE BOOT; this will remain disabled from now on.
iii. Select 'Add Boot Option'; choose your USB key or disk containing the ARCHIVE folder.
iv. Using the MENU presented, choose successive folders, proceeding thru the 'EFI BOOT' folder, until you've selected the BOOTx64.efi file - enter a name such as 'EFI BOOT' and save the entry.
v. EXIT and SAVE setup; upon REBOOT, press F12
vi. Choose EFI BOOT
vii. Key 'setup_var 0xaaa 0xv' (wthout the quotes) where 'aaa' is the offset you recorded in step 3.g.iii above and 'v' is the value you recorded in that step; press <Enter>. You may receive a warning message; just ignore it. AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY mine would be 'setup_var 0x1c3 0x3' (without the quotes).
iix. Key 'exit' (without the quotes); press <Enter>. Reboot.
ix. Double-check the Advanced video settings to insure a DVMT of 64

THE WINDOWS PORTION OF THE INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 195
If you cannot figure out how to follow this 'guide', starting in step 3, you should probably stop attempting a hack as it appears you won't be able to make it work.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, making this DVMT modification is NOT necessary BEFORE installation; this little procedure is about 1% of what you need to understand to get a hack working. You should stop worrying about this until you complete the initial installation.

As you do not have a Dell 7548, many little things will be different about your hardware - some of those things may very well impede the installation or perhaps even make it impossible to install at all. In this world, there are no guarantees; just because mine works does not mean you can make yours work.

I have the IntelBdwGraphics kexts loading in Clover but only through HDMI. The main display is blacked out. Has anyone been able to get full acceleration on the built-in display on the 4K model?

I can get full resolution (3840x2160) on Chameleon but it only boots in safe mode with no acceleration.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 279
  • DSDT.aml
    72.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Dell4k.ioreg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
I have the IntelBdwGraphics kexts loading in Clover but only through HDMI. The main display is blacked out. Has anyone been able to get full acceleration on the built-in display on the 4K model?

I can get full resolution (3840x2160) on Chameleon but it only boots in safe mode with no acceleration.

Did you patch IOKit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back