Motherboard
Dell Vostro 14 (3468)
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I dd'd my Ubuntu installation's img back to a partition in my HDD. How do I make Clover Legacy to discover that and let me boot into it? I have a GPT partition scheme and the image was made from an MBR based ext4 partition

Hi, I dd'd my Ubuntu installation's img back to a partition in my HDD. How do I make Clover Legacy to discover that and let me boot into it? I have a GPT partition scheme and the image was made from an MBR based ext4 partition

You will need to repair grub. And you may not be able to get legacy boot to work... might have to boot Ubuntu in UEFI mode.

You will need to repair grub. And you may not be able to get legacy boot to work... might have to boot Ubuntu in UEFI mode.
But my motherboard does not support UEFI.

But you can boot Linux and Windows in UEFI using Clover.
Can you please eli5(explain like I'm 5) what I'm supposed to do to get the backed up Ubuntu back in clover legacy?

Can you please eli5(explain like I'm 5) what I'm supposed to do to get the backed up Ubuntu back in clover legacy?

I'm not a Linux/grub expert.

I'm not a Linux/grub expert.
I've repaired Grub before, I just don't get it what you said that i might not be able to get legacy boot work. If I boot from a Ubuntu bootable usb directly, without going through Clover and repair grub, that would cause problems? Or do I have to boot Ubuntu bootable from Clover and then repair Grub? Also after I repair Grub, it will replace Clover right?

So am I on the right track? And wherein lies the solution to the above problem?

Like I said before, I think you will need to boot Ubuntu in UEFI mode from Clover.
You can try legacy boot though and see if you can get it to work... I never had any luck with it (booting Windows legacy) when using Clover legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back