CPU
Intel Core i7 1 Gen
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GT1060 3gb
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First, sorry if this is duplicated but I cannot find any answer that might help me and I'm new at this.

I've put about 20hrs of trying to install MacOS High Sierra on my SSD

The current problem is that I can't find a way to make clover install macOS on my Kingston 120gb SSD

1 - I've tried SSD as HFS+ don't recognize, don't show on install or clover boot.
2 - I've tried SSD as APFS and don't recognize either, nothing on install or clover boot

SATA is AHCI enabled.

The only way I was able to see on Clover install Disk Manager was when the clover was loading from my USB I've used a SSD to USB dock, and plug that in while Clover was loading, at this moment SSD was HFS+ but it was on my dock adapter so, I didn't know if after the install I will be able to put in the mobo with SATA cable.

Thanks!

(yes my mobo is old)
(sorry poor english)
(almost given up)

Your motherboard has Intel and JMicron SATA controllers, ensure that the SSD is connected to an Intel port.

Your motherboard has Intel and JMicron SATA controllers, ensure that the SSD is connected to an Intel port.

Sorry but I've tried all the ports but none identified the SSD, still only working when I plug-on the USB while clover is loading, should I install the macOS trough my SATA-> USB dock adapter?

Question - The SSD should be formatted as HFS+ or APFS?

Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:
Sorry but I've tried all the ports but none identified the SSD, still only working when I plug-on the USB while clover is loading, should I install the macOS trough my SATA-> USB dock adapter?

Question - The SSD should be formatted as HFS+ or APFS?

Thanks for the answer!

The above answer lacks the clarity expected from a response to the advice given by P1LGRIM

• The Intel Serial ATA Connectors on this board are color coded Red and marked SATA 1-6\
  • The JMicron JMB322 SATA connectors are color coded orange and marked as SATA-E1 SATA_E2
  • After connecting to the Right Intel port, one should reboot and pressing the hot key access BIOS setup and then check in BIOS Main Menu to verify whether the connected Drive is detected by BIOS as a SATA drive
  • If it is still not detected by the BIOS, the cause may be one of the following:
    • The disk's PWR and/or SATA Data cable not securely connected to the MoBo.>Go back and securely connect and recheck in BIOS
    • Power or DATA cable defective> Change each cable and recheck the disk in BIOS
      • Since the disk is apparently detected via a USB to SATA adapter [" The only way I was able to see on Clover install Disk Manager was when the clover was loading from my USB I've used a SSD to USB dock, and plug that in while Clover was loading"], I don't think the disk is damaged.
        • A damaged disk is another cause for no show in BIOS when AHCI is still ENABLED
    • Using the disk in the "SSD to USB Dock" makes it a USB device like a USB External Hard disk with USB rate of data transfer much slower than SATA and such a Hack system will be a slow coach.
    • Only after the SATA Disk is seen enabled in the BIOS, you can use USB installer disk to install the System on that disk to create a High Sierra System.

Attachments

• 1.Intel SATA.png
    1.Intel SATA.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 2.BIOS Main _SATA.png
    2.BIOS Main _SATA.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 512
The above answer lacks the clarity expected from a response to the advice given by P1LGRIM

• The Intel Serial ATA Connectors on this board are color coded Red and marked SATA 1-6\
  • The JMicron JMB322 SATA connectors are color coded orange and marked as SATA-E1 SATA_E2
  • After connecting to the Right Intel port, one should reboot and pressing the hot key access BIOS setup and then check in BIOS Main Menu to verify whether the connected Drive is detected by BIOS as a SATA drive
  • If it is still not detected by the BIOS, the cause may be one of the following:
    • The disk's PWR and/or SATA Data cable not securely connected to the MoBo.>Go back and securely connect and recheck in BIOS
    • Power or DATA cable defective> Change each cable and recheck the disk in BIOS
      • Since the disk is apparently detected via a USB to SATA adapter [" The only way I was able to see on Clover install Disk Manager was when the clover was loading from my USB I've used a SSD to USB dock, and plug that in while Clover was loading"], I don't think the disk is damaged.
        • A damaged disk is another cause for no show in BIOS when AHCI is still ENABLED
    • Using the disk in the "SSD to USB Dock" makes it a USB device like a USB External Hard disk with USB rate of data transfer much slower than SATA and such a Hack system will be a slow coach.
    • Only after the SATA Disk is seen enabled in the BIOS, you can use USB installer disk to install the System on that disk to create a High Sierra System.

My mistake for the lack of clarity won't happen again.

I've tried the right intel ports and the BIOS identify my SSD.

I know for sure now that's not a hardware problem, because for a matter of test i've installed ubuntu on the SSD and it worked!

and I've install macOS successfully on my HDD.

I think that the problem may be with High Sierra, because of the changes on SSD File system.

or on Clover for initialization of my SSD, because the bios identify my SSD just fine.

My mistake for the lack of clarity won't happen again.

I've tried the right intel ports and the BIOS identify my SSD.

I know for sure now that's not a hardware problem, because for a matter of test i've installed ubuntu on the SSD and it worked!

and I've install macOS successfully on my HDD.

I think that the problem may be with High Sierra, because of the changes on SSD File system.

or on Clover for initialization of my SSD, because the bios identify my SSD just fine.

• Now everything is crystal clear about SSD being recognized by the BIOS:)
  • So, do you mean to say that the same SSD that is seen in the BIOS is a "no show" on the Disk utility of High Sierra installation screen when USB installer reaches there and opens the DU screen to partition and format the SSD?
    • Please confirm if the above question is Yes or No; If answer is a "No" explain in detail, for the troubleshoot.

• Now everything is crystal clear about SSD being recognized by the BIOS:)
  • So, do you mean to say that the same SSD that is seen in the BIOS is a "no show" on the Disk utility of High Sierra installation screen when USB installer reaches there and opens the DU screen to partition and format the SSD?
    • Please confirm if the above question is Yes or No; If answer is a "No" explain in detail, for the troubleshoot.

• :)
  • Yes, Exactly
Nothing on "diskutil list" or nowhere, like it's never been there!

Last edited:
  • :)
  • Yes, Exactly
Nothing on "diskutil list" or nowhere, like it's never been there!
Here is your troubleshoot:

• To make life easier, disconnect all disks from MoBo except your Target SSD and the needed High Sierra USB installer disk.
    • This will reduce clutter and confusion through out installation especially in CBM and DU screens, until a successful installation.
  • Reach DU screen as you normally do with High Sierra USB Installer disk.
  • You are just seeing your USB installer but no SSD
  • Press Windows key and 2 (number two key NOT F2 key)
    • SSD shows up >Erase > MacOS Install>Agree to license>Start Installation
    • SSD still a NO Show
      • Exit DU screen
  • Go back to installer screen
  • From Top menubar Select Utility >Terminal and launch Terminal
  • In Terminal, locate your SSD and its associated IDENTIFIER [ example disk0] by the following cmd
    • diskutil list [ENTER]
      • Noted SSD IDENTIFIER is disk0
    • diskutil partitionDisk disk0 1 GPT HFS+J HIGHSIERRASSD R [HIGHSIERRASSD is a name I gave for your formatted disk , change this to suite your taste. Disk0 is the IDENTIFIER chosen as an example : you need to put the exact IDENTIFIER of your SSD ]
    • Partition in GUID and Format in HFS+J will take just 2-3 minutes to complete
    • When completed Exit Terminal >Go to MacOS Installer to find your "HIGHSIERRASSD" and your Highsierra USB Installer to begin installation.
    • Post with details for any help

Here is your troubleshoot:

• To make life easier, disconnect all disks from MoBo except your Target SSD and the needed High Sierra USB installer disk.
    • This will reduce clutter and confusion through out installation especially in CBM and DU screens, until a successful installation.
  • Reach DU screen as you normally do with High Sierra USB Installer disk.
  • You are just seeing your USB installer but no SSD
  • Press Windows key and 2 (number two key NOT F2 key)
    • SSD shows up >Erase > MacOS Install>Agree to license>Start Installation
    • SSD still a NO Show
      • Exit DU screen
  • Go back to installer screen
  • From Top menubar Select Utility >Terminal and launch Terminal
  • In Terminal, locate your SSD and its associated IDENTIFIER [ example disk0] by the following cmd
    • diskutil list [ENTER]
      • Noted SSD IDENTIFIER is disk0
    • diskutil partitionDisk disk0 1 GPT HFS+J HIGHSIERRASSD R [HIGHSIERRASSD is a name I gave for your formatted disk , change this to suite your taste. Disk0 is the IDENTIFIER chosen as an example : you need to put the exact IDENTIFIER of your SSD ]
    • Partition in GUID and Format in HFS+J will take just 2-3 minutes to complete
    • When completed Exit Terminal >Go to MacOS Installer to find your "HIGHSIERRASSD" and your Highsierra USB Installer to begin installation.
    • Post with details for any help
Sorry for delayed answer, it's because my clover takes like half an hour to get to MacOS Install.

So I follow your steps just to know for sure that I didn't do anything wrong.

And it didn't work. I take some photos to show you.

but the only thing that I see odd is that i have like 14 disks accordingly with "diskutil list" (see photos)

Thanks for the help so far..

Attachments

• 20171202_164643.jpg
    20171202_164643.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 303
  • 20171202_164827.jpg
    20171202_164827.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 307
  • 20171202_172206.jpg
    20171202_172206.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 314
  • 20171202_172211.jpg
    20171202_172211.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 317
  • 20171202_172303.jpg
    20171202_172303.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 297
  • 20171202_172308.jpg
    20171202_172308.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 288
Sorry for delayed answer, it's because my clover takes like half an hour to get to MacOS Install.

So I follow your steps just to know for sure that I didn't do anything wrong.

And it didn't work. I take some photos to show you.

but the only thing that I see odd is that i have like 14 disks accordingly with "diskutil list" (see photos)

Thanks for the help so far..
  • Did you disconnect all other devices from your Motherboard EXCEPT your target Disk and USB Installer?
  • Your disk0 is your 16GB Flash drive
  • I believe disk 1 is your SSD
  • I suspect these "disks ' below dev/disk1 are from your prior attempted partition/format on that SSD disk1
  • No harm can happen if you choose disk1 as the target disk to repartition and reformat using the commands I have already posted but modified as:
diskutil partitionDisk disk1 1 GPT HFS+J HIGHSIERRASSD R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back