Contribute
Register

Closed Thread: For FYI only > [GUIDE] 10.8 / How to enable HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
10.8 / How to enable HD4000

Total noob here, but I was having some issues as well. I have 3570k with Z77X-UD5H board. Want to use Intel HD4000. I ran multibeast after installing mountain lion fresh on SSD. Wouldn't boot up after that, so I have to type in GraphicsEnabler=No to get it to boot. I'm assuming this disables the HD4000, because youtube videos flicker like crazy, and when I move Safari position around, the mouse lags a lot. I have 8GB of RAM. Not really sure what to do next. To avoid typing in GraphicsEnabler=No every time I boot, I tried installing that line during MultiBeast, and after that, I got an SMC error and had to reinstall ML. In addition, my monitor won't recognize my computer if I use the DVI>HDMI cable. It will only work with the VGA cable. Is that common? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, also, my Geekbench score was a little disappointing, it was 6420. I know I dont' have a graphics card or anything, but a lot lower than I had anticipated. I used the free version so it was running in 32bit mode, but I did the same thing on my 2 year old iMac and got like a 5900.

One more thing to note:

When I first install Mountain Lion, right after the install (but before booting from the SSD without the USB), the resolution is bad. However, everything is faster. My geekbench score is 9250, and no mouse lag. Unfortunately, the video is still really choppy.

Has anyone using the UD5H mobo with the 3570k processor and no video card been able to boot from their HD without typing in a command in the loading screen? If so, any tips?

I now type GraphicsEnabler=No to get Mountain Lion to boot off the SSD. My video information under About This Mac still says 64MB Shared memory, and I'm getting choppy video, so I'm assuming Intel HD 4000 graphics aren't working. I'll read through this guide again to see if I can figure it out. Another small victory, finally got a digital display on my monitor from my mobo, after unplugging and replugging about 20 times, haha.

Thanks MiniITX, I actually got this all figured out now! So happy. I first updated my BIOS with those settings you provided, used DTA's guide to change my org.chameleon.boot.plist using the injection ending in 5, then set BIOS to 32MB (from 64MB), and also changed my GraphicsEnabler=No in that same file. Now, it loads without me typing in any commands, boots fast (really fast!) and the HD 4000 graphics seem to be working. I can watch YouTube videos and no flicker! Thanks again!

You do not have to inject any strings in .plist. GraphicsEnabler=No will not give you full graphics.

Takeout those strings and set the GraphicsEnabler=Yes reboot.
Check the About this mac you should see HD4000 with 512MB memory.

Hey MiniITX,

I don't fully understand why, but putting GraphicsEnabler=Yes (which was default using the latest multibeast) was not allowing my onboard graphics to work. Also, I wouldn't make it past the Apple logo screen (it would just hang there). I had to type in GraphicsEnabler=No everytime in order to boot off of my SSD drive (where I installed OSX). I tried only using those few options in MultiBeast, but the result was always the same. Further, my mouse movement was really slow, and videos were unwatchable (tested with Youtube, video would just flicker).

However, after injecting that code and switching to GraphicsEnabler=No, it worked. Again, I'm not sure why this is, because the latest MultiBeast sounds like it should do everything automatically for me. However, after the injection, it now says I have HD 4000 as my graphics (before it would just say 64MB Shared Memory). Now, videos run without a problem, no mouse lag, everything seems to be working. My bootup time (estimated) is like 10 seconds, it's running really well. Not sure if it has to do with my particular motherboard or not, but either way, I'll leave it as is for now!

It seems luck of the draw when it comes to laptops as it seems common that the manufacturer sets the pre-allocated VRAM in the BIOS and locks it from being changed.
I have two laptops. One is a Toshiba Satellite C660 with Core I3 Intel HD Graphics 3000. When Chameleon loads, I notice that it states the VRAM as 64MB, and thus the graphics work fully with QE/CI. The LAN port doesn't work, but a BCM94322HM8L card I put inside it will work for native wireless support, so it's almost perfect for my use.
However the second laptop is an Acer Aspire V3-571 with Core I5 (3rd generation) Intel HD Graphics 4000. But this one seems to have the VRAM as 128MB, and it states this both in the BIOS and the Chameleon bootloader. On BOTH laptops it is impossible to manually set the VRAM pre-allocation in the BIOS. So it's a luck-of-the-draw that Toshiba set the VRAM pre-allocation to 64MB in their laptop and means I can run Mountain Lion off it easily, but the newer Acer Aspire V3-571 cannot. Basically it's stuck as "whatever the manufacturer says so stays so" when it comes to most laptops it seems.
Both laptops have identical "versions" of OSX, as I cloned the hard drive from the working Toshiba setup, I have been unable to do a fresh install on the Acer due to the graphics problem.
In my attic I have a Gigabyte motherboard in my desktop machine and it is fully possible to set the VRAM pre-allocation for the Intel HD 3000 Graphics in the BIOS there, that will run Mountain Lion beautifully.
Basically, unless there is a way to mod the bios for my acer laptop to allow editing the VRAM pre-allocation, or someone can find a way to inject the device with 128MB enforced, it will never run Mountain Lion :(. I tried all the device ID strings in the first post of this thread, and all of them resulted in a black screen except one, but even then it was a white screen with a stuck mouse cursor. This involved me pulling the hard drive out, plugging it into an external USB caddy to my Toshiba laptop running OSX to edit the boot plist, then putting it back in the Acer and retrying to boot each time.
So... Desktops= easy. Laptops= luck of the draw.
And... unless you want to go around a laptop shop looking weird with a bootable OSX pen drive to check the VRAM is the right amount (64MB) on each laptop before buying it (surely one of the store security will get a bit curious), you're taking a bit of a gamble even if the hardware components are supposedly compatible! It's such a pain on all these websites, the FIRST instruction they always give for enabling Intel HD Graphics is to set the VRAM in the BIOS first. Well, some can't! What do we do then? Rant over... anyway, I think someone should be honest and explain to laptop users in these tutorials that if it is not possible to set the VRAM in the BIOS, you're out of luck for now.

Hi,

It worked for me, on Ga-z77-UD5H, i5 3750k, HD4000, 16GB 2400mhz ram, also chose iMac 12.1 from definition options on Multibeast.

Thank you

Hi DTA,

Does changing the system definitions will make a difference? I'm using p8z77-v premium mobo, trying to enable hd4000 video acceleration and HD Audio through HDMI on ML 10.8.

I have two graphics card: Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT630m. Which of these do I need to activate? I'm very confused :(

Oh guys I dont get it ....

I have the new H77M ITX WIFI board from gigabyte

But everytime when I boot I get a freaking screen and have to unplug/plugin the Screen.

Than it runs.

I read some sites of the thread, but I never did EFI edit etc.

GE=YES ...
Also tried with 64MB/512MB in Bios ...

Can somebody give me a simple Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back