Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina to macOS Big Sur

If you recall I said the OC EFI would work in Big Sur with your current system, including the Nvidia GT 730 dGPU. The Nvidia Kepler series of cards lost support with the final release of Big Sur.

So your Nvidia GT 730 GPU isn't supported in Monterey. That is why it won't boot and gives you that error message.

For Monterey on a Haswell system, without a compatible AMD discrete GPU you need to use the HD 4600 IGPU, along with the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS.

With a compatible discrete AMD GPU installed, you would use the iMac17,1 for Monterey. This is clearly stated in the Thread I linked, as there are a number of posts with updated EFI folders for different macOS versions/releases and setups.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 21.16.03.png section from bottom of 1st post.

For Ventura use 18,1 SMBIOS with discrete AMD GPU, but you need to disable the IGPU in the Bios as all Haswell systems lost support with the final release of Monterey.

I guessed as much. All AMDs I see are not of the silent type. I can't have noise in my setup. I'll try HD 4600 IGPU, along with the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. Thank you, very kind of you

I guessed as much. All AMDs I see are not of the silent type. I can't have noise in my setup. I'll try HD 4600 IGPU, along with the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. Thank you, very kind of you

As far as I'm aware, all RX dual-fan GPUs will operate in silent mode under a certain temperature - usually set as a default of 55-60 degrees C. Most single fan models too.

As far as I'm aware, all RX dual-fan GPUs will operate in silent mode under a certain temperature - usually set as a default of 55-60 degrees C. Most single fan models too.
Yes this RT6600XT I use fans are off until +50C.
But even when on, they are quieter than a quiet hard drive.
So it's worth investigating if it might not be a showstopper for your work.

RX cost here from $400 up. I'd better put this money for a mac mini M2 Pro and forget about all this trouble. It tripples this hack build by everything except storage. But external storage nowadays is much faster than internal on my build. I also run M1 since its release and it's almost there for my needs. This hackintosh has W10 installed. Just to format 8TB of SSDs and HDDs and it will serve for some time just fine. I don't see any advantges to hackintosh, considering price vs performance anymore. Maybe it's time to "hackamaca"? Those were fun rebellious 10 years!

Last edited:
My RX 6600 XT is very quiet, not sure where you got that info from....

Where is here?

Took your advice, switched to OC, installed Monterey and patched for my GT730.
Update: I was lucky to find a second-hand ASUS RX570. Not an easy task in Sweden (almost no
second-hand market around here). Running the latest Monterey with joy. Lost my Win10 installation though on a separate SSD.
:wave:

Last edited:
Back