Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina to macOS Big Sur

Solved. Writing on Big Sur. If you are like myself have your system installed on a 2TB HDD - just leave it for some good 3 hours. Go cook some food and have a beer. Clover will handle reboots. Thanks to all who paid attention.

Last edited:
You might want to have a look at the Monterey Guide I created for a similar Haswell system, it would be a good starting point for someone moving to OpenCore from Clover. The initial OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI would work with macOS Big Sur, with only minimal adaptation, i.e. SMBIOS would need to be changed to iMac15,1.

You might want to have a look at the Monterey Guide I created for a similar Haswell system, it would be a good starting point for someone moving to OpenCore from Clover. The initial OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI would work with macOS Big Sur, with only minimal adaptation, i.e. SMBIOS would need to be changed to iMac15,1.

I'm not sure about Opencore. Will it show my Windows SSD? Clover works fine by now, I'm kinda reluctant for experiments.

Last edited:
Yes, the OC boot screen will show your Windows SSD, alongside the macOS drive icon, both can be selected to boot in to the respective OS. That is how all my Hacks are setup, to dual boot Windows11 and macOS.

If you want to try the OpenCore EFI do the following:
  1. Simply grab hold of a spare USB pen drive that has been formatted in HFS+/GUID,
  2. Copy the OC EFI folder to the EFI partition on the USB,
  3. Then boot the system from the USB's UEFI partition,
  4. You should arrive at the OC boot screen (GUI), which should show both OS icons,
  5. Press the Spacebar while on the Boot screen, this will unhide a few drivers and tools.
  6. Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi icon, this will clear any existing entries in the NVRAM and automatically reboot the system.
  7. Boot from the USB again, and this time select the macOS drive.
Simple then to see if the OC EFI works or not.

Yes, the OC boot screen will show your Windows SSD, alongside the macOS drive icon, both can be selected to boot in to the respective OS. That is how all my Hacks are setup, to dual boot Windows11 and macOS.

A finer point rarely mentioned—And please correct me if I'm off base, as I haven't studied this in detail—is that if you boot through OC into another OS, the clever things that Open Core can do, eg ACPI patches, are in effect under that other OS.

This may or may not be desirable. For example, NVRAM RTC patches?

By definition this is subject beyond hackintosh, so I'll leave it as a warning: you could inadvertently introduce hazards to the other OS.

OTOH You might think that if you don't want to think about this, you skip OC and boot straight into the other OS, but per RTC example, a hack environment affects HW state that is somewhat persistent between boots.

Dortania offers a guide about multi-booting...

Anyways, it says "macOS Monterey cannot be installed on this computer" when I run the installer, so, I think it's finally over for my 10 years of Hackintoshing :beachball:

Anyways, it says "macOS Monterey cannot be installed on this computer" when I run the installer, so, I think it's finally over for my 10 years of Hackintoshing :beachball:
That message is often a consequence of the target drive being in format incompatible with macOS, which could well be the case if you are trying to multiboot from a single drive...?

—Forgive me if this is not helpful I am jumping in here without reading the thread, so I have no idea what's going on.

That message is often a consequence of the target drive being in format incompatible with macOS, which could well be the case if you are trying to multiboot from a single drive...?

—Forgive me if this is not helpful I am jumping in here without reading the thread, so I have no idea what's going on.
All ideas are welcome! It's an update on a Big Sur drive

Did you see the EdHawk's previous post about changing SMBIOS to a Monterey compatible mac?

I'm gonna sign out on this as it's not my bailiwick.

Best to you

Did you see the EdHawk's previous post about changing SMBIOS to a Monterey compatible mac?

I'm gonna sign out on this as it's not my bailiwick.

Best to you
Yes, it's already 15,1. But the store won't let me update directly. Says your system is up to date. I have a macbook and Mac mini, I've downloaded the update on them, started on my hack, but it still says cannot be installed on this computer.

Last edited:
Back