Contribute
Register

Case BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it easy on Eels. He's very passionate about creating mods. He's spent a lot of time doing this, screwed up his share of parts and he's here to help others avoid his early mistakes. It's painful to watch someone else crash in slow motion when it could have been avoided. On a personal note with my G5 mod (writing this on it now)- Thank you Eelhead.

There are artistic reasons to modify and functional reasons and financial reasons. Anything is NOT possible, being that there are limitations- physical, financial, functional.

If you only have one PCIe slot, you can't have two PCIe cards. You can't cut a processor in half and only use half of the cores! (I feel like making a troll bait post, complete with pix of a sawed down mobo, etc). If you want a small computer with front loaded hot swap drives, a B&W G3 or G4 would be easier to mod than a G5.

If you don't know how the PC board is laid out, you cannot tell if you will cut or short out necessary circuitry. Most motherboards are more than two layers, with internal power and ground layers (as well as multiple signal). Short two layers out and it won't work. You need to think about what your goals are with a mod, and make choices to reach the end goal. Long story short- Don't cut motherboards. World of hurt.

If you like the way something looks, then cut it up, it might now look very different. If you like the way something looks, but it won't suit your needs, and you cannot change the function without changing the look, it's a non starter. If you have no experience with mods, try something a little more mainstream before you go bleeding edge. Find a combination someone else has done that WORKS for a first project, and use that as a guide. That way, you'll taste some success and be encouraged to go on, rather than having to throw your project into the trash.

Figure out your REAL needs in terms of processor power, PCIe slots, PCI, Bluetooth, wireless, USB, 1394, memory, hard drive slots, removable hard drives, etc. FIRST. Then, figure out how much power supply and cooling you need. Then figure out how much case you need. Then find (or build) that case/computer. If you build a cutesy case that won't fit your needs, you need to build another computer. Tiny cases aren't going to fit multiple cards, overclocked quad core CPUs, and lots of hard drives. And cooling is always an issue with high power rigs, much more so with mini cases.

if this is a hobby you enjoy and can afford, well, have fun. Just give it a lot of though before you cut, and you'll save yourself much money, time, blood, sweat and tears.

gunt said:
Domokun said:
gunt said:
I have add your link and another test ;)
I'm unsure what you're saying... :?
Look the first post. Line > BitFenix Prodigy Test
You're confusing me. I have looked in the original post, I don't see what you're referring to. Communication breakdown?

Domokun said:
You're confusing me. I have looked in the original post, I don't see what you're referring to. Communication breakdown?

Read this on the first post : Techpowerup.com - BitFenix Prodigy from thelostswede

If i don't see that o_O

gunt said:
If i don't see that o_O
I see what you mean now. Note that you said "your link" originally.

Domokun said:
gunt said:
If i don't see that o_O
I see what you mean now. Note that you said "your link" originally.

I add another link yes

This link exactly 59Hardware - Boitier Bitfenix Prodigy (English with Google Translator) after thelostswede link, sorry for my english :)

I'm considering filling one of these suckers with six drives (4 HD, 1 SSD, 1 optical). Is the P8H77-I the only Ivy mobo with enough SATA ports? Does anyone know if Gigabyte has any mini-ITX Ivy boards in the pipeline?

phocion said:
I'm considering filling one of these suckers with six drives (4 HD, 1 SSD, 1 optical). Is the P8H77-I the only Ivy mobo with enough SATA ports? Does anyone know if Gigabyte has any mini-ITX Ivy boards in the pipeline?
They will release mITX boards sometime in August.

phocion said:

thelostswede has mentioned multiple times that Gigabyte is expected to release mini-ITX Z77 boards in August.

Thanks. I guess I'll wait and see if they release anything that fits my needs.

I just ordered the case.

It's my first time reading this thread but I already saw the case on Kitguru and decided to buy it when it was out.
Here in Belgium there is only one shop who sells this case.
I chose the black one.

I will be using this for a CustoMac Pro Mini Server.
First it will be used as a NAS, Time Capsule and Plex Server.
Afterwards I'll add some other services.

I already bought the pieces for this case:
GA-H67N-USB3-B3
Asmedia Sata card for additional 2 ports
8Gb DDR 1600

I just bought a Core i7 2600 non-k on ebay which I will be replacing my Core i5 2500k with in my current CustoMac Pro.
The Core i5 2500k will then be used for my CustoMac Pro Mini Server.
This will help the transcoding on Plex Server.

When everything is installed I'm going to add 3 user builds.
My current CustoMac and the future CustoMac Pro Mini Server and finally my future CustoMac Mini HTPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back