Contribute
Register

Case BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the black case today (white was out of stock), but it's warped inside. At least I don't think it's meant to be like that. The steel drive cage is pushed over the motherboard standoffs and the slots for the Hdds are distorted. Will have to wait till the morning to contact the supplier. Meh :confused:

Most likely bashed around by the courier...
One place I worked at, a courier collected a PC - in box with padding - and proceeded to drop it down the stairs on his way out of the office... :thumbup: :problem:

^^Lol :lol: The case was unfortunately poorly put together in the factory.

The wonky drive cage wasn't fixed down after all - just forced in at the wrong angle and firmly wedged. The fixings appear to have been machine attached and screw threads have been warped or broken. One of the rear screws (see pic) is not flush with the rear panel, but is bent at about 30 degrees. One of the 4 fixing points for the bottom bumper is broken (see pic).

It's a chunky munky for a mini-ITX case, but the Bitfenix Prodigy gave the chance to use a full sized ATX power supply and up to a dual-slot full-height graphics card. I did initially intend to put in an i7-2600k with an all-in-one water cooler, but after seeing how awkward it was to arrange the cables in a fully wired power supply I decided against it. Instead I ended up transplanting an existing classic CustoMac Mini with a Gigabyte H67N-USB3 board, i5-2400s with slimline cooler and Radeon HD6870. The external USB 3.0 ports on this case do come with a USB 2.0 connector, so do work but obviously at USB 2.0 speeds.

WWdy1.jpg

1. TonyMac 27in CustoMac iMac Pro!!
a6vLK.jpg

2. Bitfenix Prodigy Next to Wesena ITX2
5o4Kt.jpg

3. Wonky Drive Cage
n8gyA.jpg

4. Broken Bumper Fixing
bCJCF.jpg

5. Rear machined fastening is bent
5S5wv.jpg

6. Radeon HD 6870 with Drive Cage Removed
K9Igo.jpg

7. General Rear View
dCg2Z.jpg

8. PSU bracket
16FV1.jpg

9. Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor
m2TK4.jpg

10. Geekbench Benchmark Score

twenty4seven said:
^^Lol :lol: The case was unfortunately poorly put together in the factory.

The wonky drive cage wasn't fixed down after all - just forced in at the wrong angle and firmly wedged. The fixings appear to have been machine attached and screw threads have been warped or broken. One of the rear screws (see pic) is not flush with the rear panel, but is bent at about 30 degrees. One of the 4 fixing points for the bottom bumper is broken (see pic).

It's a chunky munky for a mini-ITX case, but the Bitfenix Prodigy gave the chance to use a full sized ATX power supply and up to a dual-slot full-height graphics card. I did initially intend to put in an i7-2600k with an all-in-one water cooler, but after seeing how awkward it was to arrange the cables in a fully wired power supply I decided against it. Instead I ended up transplanting an existing classic CustoMac Mini with a Gigabyte H67N-USB3 board, i5-2400s with slimline cooler and Radeon HD6870. The external USB 3.0 ports on this case do come with a USB 2.0 connector, so do work but obviously at USB 2.0 speeds.

WWdy1.jpg

1. TonyMac 27in CustoMac iMac Pro!!
a6vLK.jpg

2. Bitfenix Prodigy Next to Wesena ITX2
5o4Kt.jpg

3. Wonky Drive Cage
n8gyA.jpg

4. Broken Bumper Fixing
bCJCF.jpg

5. Rear machined fastening is bent
5S5wv.jpg

6. Radeon HD 6870 with Drive Cage Removed
K9Igo.jpg

7. General Rear View
dCg2Z.jpg

8. PSU bracket
16FV1.jpg

9. Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor
m2TK4.jpg

10. Geekbench Benchmark Score

Awesome picture :headbang:

I see Crossover IPS Screen ;). The OSD on this screen have more option ? Colour are good ?

Hi,

Yes, the picture quality on the Crossover is pretty good. There's no anti-glare coating so images are crisp and vibrant, although on the down side are the unwanted reflections. There is a single stuck green sub pixel, but it's only seen on a black background and only when you go looking for it!

Controls are minimal, just Brightness Up and Brightness Down and no OSD. Early models had excessive blue tinting which led one user to upload a corrected colour profile to TFT Central. I didn't have the blue tint problem, but downloaded the corrected colour profile anyway and found it a little too pink/warm. You download the colour profile to ColorSync, select it in Display Preferences and then use Mac's built-in Calibration Assistant to tweak.

:thumbup:

thelostswede said:
phocion said:
I'm considering filling one of these suckers with six drives (4 HD, 1 SSD, 1 optical). Is the P8H77-I the only Ivy mobo with enough SATA ports? Does anyone know if Gigabyte has any mini-ITX Ivy boards in the pipeline?

Found a potential option, at a price or two http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NF9E.html
http://www.amazon.com/Jetway-NF9E-Q77-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-Express/dp/B008BWO4E2

Nice find, I didn't think there was another option out there. Still probably going with the Asus if Gigabyte's mini-ITX boards don't fit the bill. It's way cheaper, and more importantly for me, some folks around here already have valuable experience hacking with the H77 board.

Spending binge is coming up for me, just waiting to confirm how the Mountain Lion driver situation shakes out before I start killing the credit card.

My BitFenix Prodigy is already en route.

Well, the Jetway board has some advantages like six SATA ports and a half-size mini PCI Express slot, but then there's the price, the less than great support from Jetway and the lack of support here as it's an unusual board...

I should have some info on the Gigabyte boards in a couple of weeks or so hopefully, so we'll see how that works out, but I doubt they'll have six SATA ports, but that's just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back