Contribute
Register

Case BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for the first 'golden build' with this case...

I just pre-ordered a black Prodigy from Newegg, now I have to wait almost a month for it to ship. Meanwhile, the rest of my mini-ITX build arrives tomorrow. I'll have to temporarily install it in an old mid-tower case.

Planning ahead: I've read that the Prodigy's power supply bay can be a tight fit for deeper power supplies. The bay is 180mm, but since you need room for the cables to curve, a 160mm PSU is about the biggest that will fit, and only then if that big fat 24 wire ATX bundle can bend the right way. Silverstone has a fully modular power supply that's only 140mm, plus they also sell a short cable kit. I'm thinking about investing in pin removal and crimping tools and a sack of new pins to mod all the cables to the exact lengths needed for the case.

Those mile-long cables are nice when you need them for a full tower case with the power supply at the bottom, but in micro-ATX and mini-ITX cases you end up with a coiled anaconda trying to hide in the drive bays.

the_WB said:
I just pre-ordered a black Prodigy from Newegg, now I have to wait almost a month for it to ship. Meanwhile, the rest of my mini-ITX build arrives tomorrow. I'll have to temporarily install it in an old mid-tower case.

Planning ahead: I've read that the Prodigy's power supply bay can be a tight fit for deeper power supplies. The bay is 180mm, but since you need room for the cables to curve, a 160mm PSU is about the biggest that will fit, and only then if that big fat 24 wire ATX bundle can bend the right way. Silverstone has a fully modular power supply that's only 140mm, plus they also sell a short cable kit. I'm thinking about investing in pin removal and crimping tools and a sack of new pins to mod all the cables to the exact lengths needed for the case.

Those mile-long cables are nice when you need them for a full tower case with the power supply at the bottom, but in micro-ATX and mini-ITX cases you end up with a coiled anaconda trying to hide in the drive bays.

Interesting...and which Mini-ITX motherboard will you put in the 'Prodigy Hackintosh'?

Actually, Silverstone had a modular SFX PSU rated at 450W coming http://www.kitguru.net/components/power ... -high-end/
sst-st45sf-g.jpg

koma106 said:
Interesting...and which Mini-ITX motherboard will you put in the 'Prodigy Hackintosh'?

I tried to buy a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 on eBay, but the seller who claimed to have three on hand actually had zero, so I got a H61N-USB3 instead. I'm matching it with a Core i3-2105. I plan to use HD3000 for now, I'll add discrete graphics later if I find I really need it. I may upgrade to an Ivy Bridge motherboard later, and eventually an Ivy Bridge CPU with more horsepower. The easy access to everything in the Prodigy case will make upgrading painless.

thelostswede said:
Actually, Silverstone had a modular SFX PSU rated at 450W coming http://www.kitguru.net/components/power ... -high-end/

That would also be a good choice (with a SFX-to-ATX adapter plate of course). If it's available by the time my Prodigy ships next month, I might buy that one instead of the 140mm model (ST50F-P).

I have a bitfenix shinobi case and this one is just crap...a acoustic nightmare. But this one cese here looks kinda promising, especially for a ITX build :)

Looks like NCIX have updated their ETA on this case from "mid-June" to "06/19/2012" (aka "tomorrow"). Here's hoping the white one I preordered ships within the week. :thumbup:

This item is not yet available but you can pre-order this now. We will ship this product shortly after its estimated arrival date of 06/19/2012. The final price is subject to change. You will be charged for this item once the ETA is confirmed by the manufacturer.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71144&vpn ... e=BitFenix

who knows when and where this case will be available in Italy. :|

I received mine today, although, I may have to send it back due to damage (there was a broken plastic clip on the inside of the enclosure and the base support isn't flush with the right side panel). Hopefully, BitFenix will resolve the issue for me in a satisfactory manner. Anyway, here are some pictures:

bfprodigy1.jpg

bfprodigy2.jpg

bfprodigy3.jpg

bfprodigy4.jpg

bfprodigy5.jpg

Here are the specifications:

Enclosure: BitFenix Prodigy
Heatsink: Xigmatek Gaia
Memory: GSkill F3-1600C10D-16GAO
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I
Optical Disk: LG CH12LS28 (Coming Soon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX-500 V2