Graphics
EVGA GTX 770 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
System Specs: i7-4770k; Asus Maximus VI Gene; 16GB Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB); EVGA GTX770 4gb

I've got an issue and need some advice or thoughts on how to proceed. First, I had Mavericks set up and running perfectly on my system with a 3tb HDD and a 120GB Samsung EVO SSD configured as a fusion drive.

I went to upgrade to Yosemite via UniBeast/MultiBeast and kept getting the mach_kernel error that I've seen from several others here. Basically, the first boot from USB was fine and then after running MultiBeast, I couldn't boot either from the USB or the fusion drive. That was after using UniBeast 5.0.0 to create the install USB. So I waited for UniBeast 5.0.1 and started the process over again. This time, first boot from USB worked, but I kept getting the stop sign when the OS tried to load from the fusion drive. I've since learned that this was probably because I enabled TRIM in multibeast, but I didn't know that at the time. I ran across an older thread on here where someone had similar issues and it was related to the logical volume created by the fusion drive. I have a complete time machine backup, so I decided to break up the fusion drive, format/partition both drives, install Yosemite fresh on the SSD, make sure everything was working and then create the fusion drive again and migrate the time machine data over. Although I did get Yosemite running mostly correctly briefly, it was only when I moved the bootloader and /Extra folder to the EFI partition as outlined here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html . But then I couldn't get the sound working correctly (oddly enough at one point my sound started playing on my apple TV in another room and the computer has no wifi, I checked and the Apple TV was the only output device listed, strange I thought) and, still not knowing about the trim issue, enabled it in MultiBeast and locked myself out from being able to boot again. So once again I had to re-install, it still wouldn't boot correctly, like Chimera wouldn't ever show up.

So, fed up, I started researching the Clover bootloader and decided to give it a go. Which is how I find myself in my current predicament. Although I followed the directions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html to a tee, the OS X installer won't boot up from my USB. It gets to the screen with the Apple logo and the progress bar, gets to about 40% and my screen goes dark. I've tried different bootflags, I've waited an hour or so because the indicator light on the USB is flashing, but nothing ever happens. I can't boot to my SSD which has Yosemite on it currently (presumably because I had enabled trim in MultiBeast, although the result is different), the cursor flickers at the top left a couple of times and I am spit back into the UEFI.

So now I cannot boot into any OSX installation, install or boot screen. The only place I can get is to the Clover bootloader, and can't figure out/don't know how to get past that. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Just thoughts/next steps. I've been banging my head against a wall for days with this and am out of ideas about how to proceed. This is my only OS X computer, so I can't even download the Yosemite installer and re-do my USB with UniBeast and try again with what's more familiar to me. Unless anyone knows a way to download the installer from a windows/linux machine, but as far as I know, you have to access the App store through OS X.

tl;dr - Had trouble with Unibeast/MultiBeast/Chimera, tried Clover and am now stuck with no bootable USB and no backup OS to boot into. Have time machine backup, but can't get past clover boot screen. Help.

Try the bootflag:

-v nv_disable=1

also, make sure you boot with -v as well, since it will give you a verbose log and should help print out if there are other issues occurring.

That did the trick! Thanks a lot! Had to reboot once to get networking to work. I'm assuming that the nv_disable=1 boot flag is graphics card related so I'll have to figure out that part in a bit but I'm up and running again. For the time being, anyway. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back