Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming B460M-PLUS with WiFi
CPU
i3-10100
Graphics
RX 6600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I managed to setup a triple boot (Sierra, Win10, Ubuntu) on my machine and everything went fine until I decided to upgrade Ubuntu to the newest version (Yakkety Yak).
After that, rebooting took me directly into Ubuntu's grub menu instead of Clover's. I then went into the BIOS and chose the "Mac OS X" option from there only to see a message like "Reboot and select proper boot device ..."
Tried to install Clover r3922 again like 10 times with the same result. Not even Legacy EFI mode works.

SSD's Mac OS X UEFI -> Reboot and select proper boot device ...
SSD's EFI -> Takes me to the BIOS's "Boot Manager"
USB Install UEFI -> Boots fine
USB Install EFI -> Takes me to the BIOS's "Boot Manager"

Here is my diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *480.1 GB disk0
1: Apple_HFS Sierra 125.1 GB disk0s1
2: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s3
4: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s5
6: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 10 229.6 GB disk0s6
7: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s7
8: Linux Filesystem 36.7 GB disk0s8
9: Linux Swap 16.8 GB disk0s9
10: Microsoft Basic Data Super Fast 70.1 GB disk0s10

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *65.0 GB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS Install macOS Sierra 64.7 GB disk4s2

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Intel Core i3
Intel HD 4000

Apparently Ubuntu's upgrade screwed up something with my EFI partition and I can't figure out what it was. Also there's this new "Apple_Boot Recovery HD" that I don't remember being there before.

Already tried to format my ESP partition as Clover's install suggests, but nothing changed.

Please help, I need to get Clover to show up again either in UEFI or EFI mode.

Thanks.

EDIT: Everything seems to be working now. I found this article somewhere on the net suggesting to try to "re enable UEFI mode in BIOS". I changed settings from "UEFI and Legacy" to "UEFI Only" and voilá.

Last edited:
The best Forum to discuss and hopefully get fast resolution of Multi-boot issues is always the Multi-boot Forum here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/multi-booting.153/
You will often get the very knowledgeable expert Moderators finding time to help when others are not coming forward or getting bogged down in their attempts to help!
I can help but I need to be clear about your Multi-boot configuration. Unless you have done multiple different changes to 'get out of the mess', I believe we can still undo the road blocks and eventually get the triple boot system if we go very methodically step-by step.

All the desktops I have on different Motherboard/CPU/Graphics/Display combinations are running multi-disk multi-boot systems with Windows 10, macOSSierra, el Capitan, Ubuntu 16.10 or Mint18. Because my multiple OSes are from individual separate disks I don't usually find all my systems falling when one disk has a software problem or hardware failure.

From your Disk Utility output, I see two Internal Hard disks [disk0 and disk1].
It appears that the disk 1 has Hackintosh Sierra and disk 0 has multiple partitions with Windows, macOs Sierra and Linux files on them.

If you can elaborate on how you had set up your system starting with number of HDDs and their partitions and in what order you had installed all 3 OSes, we can untangle the knots.

In multiboot you can see many "phantom disks" in Clover Boot Manager screen that goes no where when you click them! Some of them are coming from NVRAM that needs to be deleted. Usually it can be easier from Windows's side , especially for those bearing "Microsoft ....." or "Windows" in their names.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I've been doing multi-booting for a long time, even before I started venturing into the mac world a few years ago.
Ok, back to the problem...
All my disks are GPT formated. I actually have 3 HDD's (which I omitted from diskutil list cos I thought it was irrelevant) and one SSD I use for the OSes (currently Sierra, Win10, Ubuntu). I used to have lots of "phantom disks", which I managed to remove from Clover's menu with config.plist. No big deal.
As for how I set up my system, nothing that special. I first created a dummy partition for Mac OS using gParted. Then I installed Windows (because it's very tricky). As expected, the install created 3 more partitions Reserved, EFI and Windows NTFS. I resized the default EFI windows partition from 100mb to 200mb to meet Mac OS standards using gParted again. After all that I created a Linux root partition, a Linux Swap partition and an extra NTFS partition for files. Lastly I installed Mac OS from a USB pendrive and installed Clover.
Now what's really strange is that everything was working fine until I decided to upgrade Ubuntu. It's well known its grub2 updates will want to take control of everything and become the main bootloader in the system. I see a new entry in BIOS that says "ubuntu", I believe it's UEFI, and it actually takes me directly into Ubuntu if I select it. There's also a "Mac OS X" entry in BIOS that will lead to "Reboot and select proper boot device ...".
To be honest, I am no expert in UEFI systems. I can't even tell the difference between EFI and UEFI, except that that second one seems to boot a bit faster. Also no idea what NVRAM is, but I will surely do some research after reading your reply.
Anyway, I think I will try and post a more detailed question at the multi-boot forum you suggested.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back