Contribute
Register

Can't determine EC query methods(T470)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the error was that I didn't copy AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E, because my system crashed and I had to format the drive and reinstall OSX as it wouldn't boot. I have copied the kext to /L/E, but it still won't store it. I think I have working NVRAM because I tried creating a variable in NVRAM and after rebooting it was still there. Something strange happens upon starting up the system, at first it boots with max brightness and after a couple of seconds it get dimmer, but not to the level I had it before restarting.

I think the error was that I didn't copy AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E, because my system crashed and I had to format the drive and reinstall OSX as it wouldn't boot. I have copied the kext to /L/E, but it still won't store it. I think I have working NVRAM because I tried creating a variable in NVRAM and after rebooting it was still there. Something strange happens upon starting up the system, at first it boots with max brightness and after a couple of seconds it get dimmer, but not to the level I had it before restarting.

You must follow the guide carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

I decided to start over just to be safe. This is what I did:
-Download and build all projects required with terminal.
-I have renamed gfx0 to igpu in both DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml MaciASL and the patch repository(disassemble, then patch, and reassemble as .aml). These where the only files to contain any gfx0 entries. I couldn't find any "vid" entries in any of the files, so I assume my GPU was not named to "vid".
-Put DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched, alongside the SSDT-PNLF.aml file.
-Used XCode to copy "change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)" in KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch. It shows as "Item 0".
-Installed AppleBacklightInjector.kext as indicated in the guide.

After rebooting twice and rebuilding the cache, the device still starts at max brightness. I checked nvram.plist and saw that backlight-level was actually storing the values for screen brightness at shutdown, but they seem to be overwritten anyway.
I checked whether Clover was doing it, but no BacklightLevel was present in my config.plist. I couldn't find any ALS either.

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but I really don't know what might be the cause of this problem.

I have managed to get gen_debug working so I'll attach that for Problem Reporting.

Attachments

• debug_14578.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
I decided to start over just to be safe. This is what I did:
-Download and build all projects required with terminal.
-I have renamed gfx0 to igpu in both DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml MaciASL and the patch repository(disassemble, then patch, and reassemble as .aml). These where the only files to contain any gfx0 entries. I couldn't find any "vid" entries in any of the files, so I assume my GPU was not named to "vid".
-Put DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched, alongside the SSDT-PNLF.aml file.
-Used XCode to copy "change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)" in KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch. It shows as "Item 0".
-Installed AppleBacklightInjector.kext as indicated in the guide.

After rebooting twice and rebuilding the cache, the device still starts at max brightness. I checked nvram.plist and saw that backlight-level was actually storing the values for screen brightness at shutdown, but they seem to be overwritten anyway.
I checked whether Clover was doing it, but no BacklightLevel was present in my config.plist. I couldn't find any ALS either.

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but I really don't know what might be the cause of this problem.

I have managed to get gen_debug working so I'll attach that for Problem Reporting.

Your ioreg shows backlight control now working correctly.
But...
No need for SSDT-0.aml in ACPI/patched (remove it). Renaming GFX0->IGPU already done in config.plist.
And you forgot to implement the Fake ALS.
Read carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Your ioreg shows backlight control now working correctly.
But...
No need for SSDT-0.aml in ACPI/patched (remove it). Renaming GFX0->IGPU already done in config.plist.
And you forgot to implement the Fake ALS.
Read carefully:

My bad, I thought the Fake ALS part was only if I had an actual ambient light sensor. I copied FakeSMC.kext to CLOVER/Kexts/other and SSDT-ALS0.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched and now it works.

Thank you for your time and dedication to this awesome community and also for putting up with my incompetence.

My bad, I thought the Fake ALS part was only if I had an actual ambient light sensor. I copied FakeSMC.kext to CLOVER/Kexts/other and SSDT-ALS0.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched and now it works.

Thank you for your time and dedication to this awesome community and also for putting up with my incompetence.

A malfunctioning/incompatible ALS can cause problems as well as lack of ALS. Hence the Fake ALS via SSDT-ALS0...

Nice to hear you have it going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back