Contribute
Register

Can't boot into new BIOS v. with mac formatted drive connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dolgarrenan,

If thats the case then it may suggest that Asus have indeed implemented some sort of BIOS lockout when Windows 10 is installed in UEFI mode (IE: on a GUID formatted partition) and requires you to enter the BIOS via the Windows 10 procedure rather than through the post boot key shortcut.

This behaviour also reminds me of Windows "Fast Startup" feature which is known to disable post boot entry to the BIOS.
Check to see if you have the Windows "Fast Startup" feature enabled .. if it is disable it :-

Quote from the guide linked above :-

Cheers
Jay
Hello @jaymonkey just tried as the link you shared and no luck :(, even removing the option doesn't help at all. Going nuts about this.

Hello @jaymonkey just tried as the link you shared and no luck :(, even removing the option doesn't help at all. Going nuts about this.

@dolgarrenan,

Thats a shame .... I thought that the Windows 10 "Fast Startup" feature may have been the issue ....
Not sure what else to suggest, clearly it would seem that the issue is due to the updated Asus BIOS firmware.

If you disconnect the MacOS GUID drive and just leave the Windows GUID drive connected is it the same issue ?
If so then there is not much else we can do for you here, I would recommend that you register on the Asus support forums and post the issue there .. maybe this is by design or maybe it's a bug ...

You need to try and confirm that others with the same Motherboard and BIOS revision have the same issue.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Thats a shame .... I thought that the Windows 10 "Fast Startup" feature may have been the issue ....
Not sure what else to suggest, clearly it would seem that the issue is due to the updated Asus BIOS firmware.
I also though for a moment that we had reached breaking point :(
If you disconnect the MacOS GUID drive and just leave the Windows GUID drive connected is it the same issue ?
If so then there is not much else we can do for you here, I would recommend that you register on the Asus support forums and post the issue there .. maybe this is by design or maybe it's a bug ...
Same goes for Windows10 drives unless from the OS (preposterous...) I will try to sing up on asus forums and see how it goes.
You need to try and confirm that others with the same Motherboard and BIOS revision have the same issue.
Just hoping more people joins in the discussion tbh, but like you said, it must be something they updated in new BIOS because the exact same thing happens to my other X299D and X299D2 boards with newest BIOS.

Hey @dolgarrenan i have the same exact issue on asus z390m pro gaming motherboard. Someone on different forum mentioned that moving nvme ssd to m2_2 port fixed it for him.

no such luck for me.

really curious to find resolotion!
I'd say there is no solution that we users could accomplish just by doing cheap tricks lol.. I think it all comes down to Asus and their s**t BIOS tbh..

I tried contacting them, but just the amount of things they requiere in order to open a support ticket is so off putting that made me switch to other manufacturer honestly..

It has something to do with that, if you'd like to find a solution, you'd need to contact Asus, they are the ones doing all this, nothing to do with drives location or anything..

Hey @dolgarrenan

A quick update on this. After spending couple of days trying to figure out BIOS version 2477 I realized it's just buggy. Boot priority doesn't stick.

I was able to rever to BIOS version 2411 using a USB and things are back to normal now.

I'd say there is no solution that we users could accomplish just by doing cheap tricks lol.. I think it all comes down to Asus and their s**t BIOS tbh..

I tried contacting them, but just the amount of things they requiere in order to open a support ticket is so off putting that made me switch to other manufacturer honestly..

It has something to do with that, if you'd like to find a solution, you'd need to contact Asus, they are the ones doing all this, nothing to do with drives location or anything..

Just discovered I'm in this same boat. Cannot boot into BIOS with any Mac formatted drives plugged in. Got Mojave up and running nicely, but discovered this "bug" while trying to fix my IGPU/PEG issue in my updated build. This is insane. It basically renders my build useless - at best, extremely inconvenient, especially since my boot drive is NVMe. Am I really going to have to abandon this Mobo because of this issue???

Any headway on this?

Edit: I reverted to a previous BIOS version, and that fixed it for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back