Contribute
Register

Cannot reboot Yosemite after running fine for 4 days? (First Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed Yosemite following installation guide, working through a few kernel panics (installed in safe mode and entered ncpi=0X2000), and ran Multibeast. Although I did experience some random freezes where I had to restart, system was up and running for a couple of days. I successfully installed Adobe PS, Adobe LR, and color calibration software with no noticeable issues. Today, after installing LogicX, computer froze, and after restart, will not reboot from SSD boot drive.

I began working through the installation guide again, reselecting BIOS settings (default) and disabling vt-d (not sure if this is necessary with 4790K), and tried to reboot from SSD while in safe mode, but getting Kernel Panics which return me to the boot screen.

Not sure if I should erase SSD at this point and reinstall, or if there are boot flags I may need.

First build so brand new to this, but trying to learn and work through issues, so appreciate any help in getting issues resolved. Let me know if any other info is needed, thanks.

I installed Yosemite following installation guide, working through a few kernel panics (installed in safe mode and entered ncpi=0X2000), and ran Multibeast. Although I did experience some random freezes where I had to restart, system was up and running for a couple of days. I successfully installed Adobe PS, Adobe LR, and color calibration software with no noticeable issues. Today, after installing LogicX, computer froze, and after restart, will not reboot from SSD boot drive.

I began working through the installation guide again, reselecting BIOS settings (default) and disabling vt-d (not sure if this is necessary with 4790K), and tried to reboot from SSD while in safe mode, but getting Kernel Panics which return me to the boot screen.

Post a photo of the kernel panic screen after booting with flag -v.

So I ended up reformatting my SSD and started over. I was able to reinstall Yosemite after removing 16GB RAM (leaving me with 16GB), entering -x, npci=0X2000, maxmem=8192. However, after running Multibeast and restarting, I am getting KPs and cannot boot successfully (again).

I took a photo of the MB settings I used, and also the KPs in -v mode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.JPG
    IMG_2637.JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 105
So I ended up reformatting my SSD and started over. I was able to reinstall Yosemite after removing 16GB RAM (leaving me with 16GB), entering -x, npci=0X2000, maxmem=8192. However, after running Multibeast and restarting, I am getting KPs and cannot boot successfully (again).

I took a photo of the MB settings I used, and also the KPs in -v mode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Disable Turbo Boost on BIOS then try to boot.

First off, thanks for the replies. I disabled Turbo Boost as it shows in the photo. When I reboot, I am freezing about halfway through the Apple screen. I ran in -v mode, and second photo shows where I am freezing. Again, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2640.JPG
    IMG_2640.JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2641.JPG
    IMG_2641.JPG
    722.6 KB · Views: 76
First off, thanks for the replies. I disabled Turbo Boost as it shows in the photo. When I reboot, I am freezing about halfway through the Apple screen. I ran in -v mode, and second photo shows where I am freezing. Again, any help is appreciated.

It seems like graphics related issue. Your profile is not updated with graphics device.

So update your build's hardware details under Profile > Basic Information section in the below format (Profile link is available on the upper right side of this website)

System : Motherboard + BIOS Version + Bootloader (Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU : Detailed CPU Model
Graphics : All Graphics Devices

For Example,
System : GA-Z97X-UD5H (F9F) (CLOVER)
CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics : Intel HD 4600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

I updated profile to show that I am only using the Intel HD 4600 graphics, no other GPU. The first time I was able to get Yosemite up and running for a few days, I disabled vt-d in BIOS, but I did not disable this time around. Could this be the cause?

I updated profile to show that I am only using the Intel HD 4600 graphics, no other GPU. The first time I was able to get Yosemite up and running for a few days, I disabled vt-d in BIOS, but I did not disable this time around. Could this be the cause?

Vt-d need to be disabled.

Try to boot with "dart=0 IGPEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v"

OK, disabled vt-d and I appear to be up and running. I have some other hardware questions but I will make a separate post in the appropriate forum for those. Thank you so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back