Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-UP5TH
CPU
intel i7 3770 3.4GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 950
Something strange is going on with my system. Here's the history.

My hackintosh has been a fully functional dual boot (windows/osx) system for 3 years now. A few months back I had formatted the windows drive and converted it to SSD storage. I installed a GTX 950 this afternoon and everything worked fine on OS X. I reinstalled windows 10 to the secondary SSD and it went off without a single issue. After installing the windows drivers for the GTX, keyboard, and mouse I restarted windows. Since that point I have not been able to access Clover at all.

If I hit DEL to get into the bios to set up the boot order there is a cursor that blinks once and then a solid black screen. I never make it into the bios at all.

If I hit F12 I get a solid black screen. The boot list never shows up.

If I remove the sata cable from the OS X SSD the system boots normally and all access to the bios and boot menu are restored.

I changed the boot order to prefer windows as of right now so I can view the drive on my windows partition and it seems completely fine.

Anyone have any ideas? As of right now I cannot use the OS X drive at all.

I will attempt to access via USB but the boot menu isn't accessible so I don't know how that's going to go. I'll report back.

EDIT: I can access os x with the windows drive unplugged. I still cannot access the boot menu 100% of the time though.
Any ideas on why would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
Something strange is going on with my system. Here's the history.

My hackintosh has been a fully functional dual boot (windows/osx) system for 3 years now. A few months back I had formatted the windows drive and converted it to SSD storage. I installed a GTX 950 this afternoon and everything worked fine on OS X. I reinstalled windows 10 to the secondary SSD and it went off without a single issue. After installing the windows drivers for the GTX, keyboard, and mouse I restarted windows. Since that point I have not been able to access Clover at all.

If I hit DEL to get into the bios to set up the boot order there is a cursor that blinks once and then a solid black screen. I never make it into the bios at all.

If I hit F12 I get a solid black screen. The boot list never shows up.

If I remove the sata cable from the OS X SSD the system boots normally and all access to the bios and boot menu are restored.

I changed the boot order to prefer windows as of right now so I can view the drive on my windows partition and it seems completely fine.

Anyone have any ideas? As of right now I cannot use the OS X drive at all.

I will attempt to access via USB but the boot menu isn't accessible so I don't know how that's going to go. I'll report back.

EDIT: I can access os x with the windows drive unplugged. I still cannot access the boot menu 100% of the time though.
Any ideas on why would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Try resetting the CMOS battery [refer to your motherboard manual] . It is located near the front panel connectors. After powering off and unplugging power cord you may short the two CMOS pins with a flat headed screw driver. Then reconnect the powrer cord and reboot and Load Optimized Default BIOS and then choose the required BIOS Settings ( Legacy or UEFI as the case may be for you] and reboot.

Head on over to the MultiBoot section. You installed OSX, Clover was running. You then installed Windows. Windows overwrote the EFI/Boot files. Common problem. http://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/multi-booting.153/ Can you boot from your UniBeast USB stick?

This was the issue. The windows drive wasn't installed to boot from the EFI at all actually. I'll be wiping the drive and trying again.
The mystery of why I can't access the boot menu on startup using F12 with both drives plugged in still remains though.
Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back