Contribute
Register

[BUILDING] The HaswellRise mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There, Just catching up on all the posts. Can I make the suggestion that you retest #4 above, but remove the Main PSU from the case, you seemed to have explored every option (including removing the GPU altogether), except this one.

IMHO For any effective cooling you need clearly defined entry point for cool air, and a clearly defined exit point for warm air, and a way to move and channel that air over the components to be cooled from the entry to the exit point. Look at any apple computer (or any windows laptop for that matter) and this is clearly part of the design. Take the trusty Power Mac G5, it had four (drive,gpu,cpu,psu) separate thermal compartments with separate fans in each compartment to move air from the front to the back of the case. The CPU specifically is continually cooled with fresh from outside the case. To see what is possible in a confined space have a read of the following post.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/completed-mods/120480-g4-cube-reinvented.html

Removing the PSU (also a source of heat) from the case and replacing with a couple of very low speed fans to push air from front to the back, would reduce the internal temp of the case and give the GPU the fresh cool air it needs.

Your idea of rotating the MB comes with the issue of the rear IO ports and build complexity to deal with the problem. The question you have to ask yourself is, which compromise you want to make. If it were my decision, an external PSU would win every time

Regards
Kiwi

PS Regarding Comment #2 above, and Assuming you are measuring power usage at the wall, I think you may be confusing the CPU's TDP (thermal design power) with power consumed. Note, also that the motherboard, PSU and other components do also add to the power usage

First of all, thanks for the input. But judging from your projects you are on a whole different modding level than me so please don't expect too much on complex air-channeling constructions!

Now about your suggestion: it is very crucial for me to have an internal PSU; it makes the system more compact, more integrated, more Apple-esque if you prefer. As with Apple products, "function follows form" (ie look at the burning hot laps of almost all MacBooks or the whining noises of all Airs, or even the sharp wrist-cutting edges of Airs) and in that direction I am willing to let the system run a bit hotter in order to achieve better looks.

However, since I'm going to order a bunch of adapters and angled connectors to hack, why not order a couple fans as well, in order to test your suggestion? Can you suggest a specific type of fan? My available height is, say, 60-65mm and I'd like it to be as quiet as possible.

Meanwhile you must be right about the TDP comment. I thought the TDP meant the maximum power draw, apparently it doesn't...

First of all, thanks for the input. But judging from your projects you are on a whole different modding level than me so please don't expect too much on complex air-channeling constructions!

Now about your suggestion: it is very crucial for me to have an internal PSU; it makes the system more compact, more integrated, more Apple-esque if you prefer. As with Apple products, "function follows form" (ie look at the burning hot laps of almost all MacBooks or the whining noises of all Airs, or even the sharp wrist-cutting edges of Airs) and in that direction I am willing to let the system run a bit hotter in order to achieve better looks.

However, since I'm going to order a bunch of adapters and angled connectors to hack, why not order a couple fans as well, in order to test your suggestion? Can you suggest a specific type of fan? My available height is, say, 60-65mm and I'd like it to be as quiet as possible.

Meanwhile you must be right about the TDP comment. I thought the TDP meant the maximum power draw, apparently it doesn't...
Absolutely applaud you design goal, I was just giving you an alternate view, and showing what is possible. With every design there is always compromise that we are willing to accept, and everyone has a different viewpoint, and objectives.

Building your own case is always a big experiment, to see what works and doesn't. In my own builds certain things work, and certain things don't, but in the end half the fun is finding out.

As to fans, google is your friend, here are some options.
http://www.quietpc.com/60mmfans

Minor Update: Motherboard backplate

So, I have decided to use a plexiglass (acrylic) farm to bolt the motherboard on. I started with a sheet of acrylic, drilled the motherboard screw holes and cut a window for the cooler backplate. The result is this:
IMG_5014.jpg

I am planing to secure this in the case using double sided tape; in my experience, double sided tape is very strong, especially if you use a good brand. This acrylic sheet has large clear areas where it could be attached to the completely flat case and I hope I will have a good result.

Then I went on bolting the motherboard:
IMG_5016.JPGIMG_5017.JPGIMG_5018.JPG

Everything perfect so far!

Please note the 20mm gap on the side where I'm hoping I'll be able to fit a custom rear I/O panel:
IMG_5019.JPG

Have you already found low profile right angle connectors for video? About the lowest profile I could find for HDMI was still 3cm.

Have you already found low profile right angle connectors for video? About the lowest profile I could find for HDMI was still 3cm.

"Left" or "right" is a matter of perspective!

I mean, graphics cards are usually meant to be sloted in pc-towers in a horizontial (to the floor) orientation. Also, all HDMI GPU slots have the same orientation: the wide side of the connector in on top and the narrow side is at the bottom. So, the adapter I purchased provides an HDMI-in at the "top" of the case, or in my case "away" from the motherboard:
hdmi.JPG

Now about the size I admit I'm not really sure it will fit, I purchased it judging by the picture (it was really cheap anyway) but consider that since it will be inserted in the GPU, that will shave some mm (maybe 5 I guess). If it doesn't fit maybe I'll have to mod a cable but I'd like to avoid that: the more pins there are in a connector the more inadequate prove my soldering skills :p

Sapphire's Radeon 7750 low profile (aka: the former low profile champion, till January 2014 that is!) utilizes a flexible cable adapter for the mini-HDMI slot and that could be convenient in my case. But this card, although used in my other build and really performed back in it's day, isn't my best option anymore, GM107 beats it hands down. BTW, this is the only part I haven't purchased yet; I'll finish the rest of my build first while waiting for GM107 support for Mavericks (maybe in 10.9.4+).

Thermals (continued...)

Following kiwi's advice, I tried to install 2 60mm low-rev fans and measure temps again. Here are the results for the stress test:

#1 No fans, PSU covering almost all air intake:
IMG_5021.JPG
CPU=61, GPU=67

#2 Single fan in the middle, no PSU in the case:
IMG_5022.JPG
CPU=52, GPU=65

#3 Dual fans, no PSU in the case:
IMG_5023.JPG
CPU=48, GPU=66

I have to admit that the results are impressive. The CPU runs way cooler (on the other hand, GPU doesn't seems to be really affected) and also a bit quieter as the CPU fan runs slower. On a sidenote, the PSU runs cooler as well (although I don't have a way to measure it's temperature).

It is out of the question that without the PSU (and with the extra cooling from the fans that now easily fit in the case) the system will run cooler, quieter, overall better. But the external brick is way worse aesthetically... If only I could find a smaller PSU to fit in the case together with a fan or two...

Another advantage of having the PSU externally is that the front panel has enough space behind to install anything you want (in addition to the fans, of course), like a capacitive power button/led, a couple of USB ports, or a front audio interface. Maybe that's the way to go indeed, the advantages seem too many to ignore!

Update: yet another change in plans

I've been trying to solve the puzzle for a while now, but unfortunately things don't turn out as I hoped. I have received all parts, including angled connectors for HDMI & USB as well as PCB mount USB & audio ports but I don't think I'll be able to install all this hardware in the tiny space I have available. Not to mention that I have serious concerns about the airflow if I cram so much stuff in the case.

If you remember, my goals were a) internal PSU, b) low noise and c) discrete graphics. Since I can't see any possible way to fit discrete graphics (with proper ventilation), I'll try to acheive at least (a) and (b). Two out of three is good, right?

So now I'll make a new acrylic motherboard backplate with the motherboard oriented normally again (I/O panel in the back of the case). Since there will be some space saved this time (no GPU installed), besides the two fans in front of the motherboard (as per kiwi's suggestion), I'll also attempt to mount a nice Bitfenix front panel after shortening it's cables a bit:
CA-058-BX_49602_350.jpg
Of course, no discrete graphics means low 3D performance as Intel is advancing but it's not there yet. Maybe in the forthcoming Broadwell / Skylake updates I'll be able to swap the mobo/cpu for some Iris Pro graphics (still no match for, say, a 750Ti, but quite an upgrade from HD4600), salvaging this combo in a larger case with a proper GPU.

This is one of the best build i have seen here. With that motherboard we can build a hackintosh with very minimum cables and fans.

mSATA port, stock half mini Wifi+BT card (that works perfectly with a little tweak) and if the internal graphics is used lot of cables can be avoided.

Why not use this WiFi antenna?

Wireless Antenna.JPG

Apologies if i have spoken something out of topic.

This is one of the best build i have seen here. With that motherboard we can build a hackintosh with very minimum cables and fans.

mSATA port, stock half mini Wifi+BT card (that works perfectly with a little tweak) and if the internal graphics is used lot of cables can be avoided.

Why not use this WiFi antenna?

View attachment 96959

Apologies if i have spoken something out of topic.

Thanks for your input! This antenna looks very compact and practical but thing is, the whole case is made out of aluminum and I doubt I will get good reception (if any) if I stick it in one of the top or side panels. Apple usually sticks their antennae on the back of some plastic logo or something similar in all their aluminum computers. That said, where can i find an antenna like this? Might prove useful in a future project...

These are MBP WiFi/BT antennas. You can get them on ebay for cheaper price.
Take a big straw cute it to the antenna size stuff the straw with the antenna and tape it just outside at the back side. Much better than 3 antennas poking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back