Contribute
Register

[BUILDING] The HaswellRise mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Display issues fixed!

This feels extremely humiliating but I have to admit: All "display" issues were caused by a cheap HDMI cable... I bought the cable from a local electronics store just because it was very short (40cm) and cheap. It works with all of my devices (PS3, MacBook miniDP to HDMI adapter, even my other two hackintoshes), BUT, for some reason it doesn't work with B85N.

Anyhow, I swapped the cable for a better quality one and voila, everything works like a charm. And of course, even the BIOS is accessible through HDMI now (previously only via DVI).

I can't believe that such a small thing caused such a massive delay. So, the project is still on!

Meanwhile I've been trying to shorten some USB 3.0 wires without any success. Is there a super short (<15cm) USB mobo header to USB port that you know of?

Glad it is still on!

For the USB you could use a mobo header to USB dual female and then try to find short male to female adapter or this lead is not too bad at 20cm. Shortening USB 3.0 cables is a pain though (I speak from experience) and in the end for my Haswell NUC I decided not to take my USB 3 connection to the rear and instead put two extra USB 2.0 connections there as they are much easier to work around the case.

Glad it is still on!

For the USB you could use a mobo header to USB dual female and then try to find short male to female adapter or this lead is not too bad at 20cm. Shortening USB 3.0 cables is a pain though (I speak from experience) and in the end for my Haswell NUC I decided not to take my USB 3 connection to the rear and instead put two extra USB 2.0 connections there as they are much easier to work around the case.

Exactly. I've already wasted a nice Bitfenix front panel trying to shorten the USB 3.0 cables without any luck, as it doesn't work after my new solderings. Also USB cables are very thick and completely unflexible :thumbdown: I guess due to shielding. There are some nice USB 2.0 "ultra-thin" cables and connectors but unfortunately USB 3.0 is so much faster than 2.0 so I'll have to try a workaround like the one you suggested, although I'm not sure it will fit; in such a small case, extra connectors are really a complete waste of space.

I've also spotted some "flat" USB 3.0 cables but they are all either too long (1m) or (the shorter ones) lead to a micro USB plug.

Update: extra cooling

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG
Fans secured on the custom mobo backplate. I used an extra plexi panel to lift the fans a bit because of the ram modules. I only used two fans because I need the full case length for the PSU on the other side.

I'm jumping on the modding train after reading the 12 pages of interesting comments and nice pictures.

I'm a bit disapointed because I thought I would find a finished HiRiseHack on the last page. :mrgreen:
No problem, I'll continue to read your updates.
It looks really great.

(I am planning a small ITX hack, when I save some money, for smaller case than I had last year. Maybe Node 304 or Elite 130. And I am certainly going with the B85N, because it looks complete for me)

Just caught up on your build again, good to see you are making some progress, I know it can be frustrating, but stick with it. Kiwi.

@thierry37: Sorry to let you down, but I'm getting there! I've come up with a lot of problems while trying to build it and my little experience doesn't help either.

@kiwi: I think I'm close, fans are ready, now I'm building a panel for the extra I/O. I've decided NOT to drill the front panel because I like the clear look if it and instead use the gap at the back of the top panel to put a couple of USB ports and the power switch.

I was just joking. ;)
It's good, I will have to come often, to see your updates.

It's nice idea to have the USB ports on the top, it will make easy to plug a camera or a USB stick

Update: bits and pieces

Fans up and running
IMG_5194.JPG
kudos to miniITX!

The new antenna works like a charm and doesn't look like... well it's usually three ugly sticks, isn't it?
IMG_5195.JPG

And this is a custom top rear panel to host USB ports & the power switch. I'm thinking black paint but on the other hand it's kind of transparent so maybe I can play with some leds...
IMG_5196.JPG

PS: I've been using the HiRise as my main system for a week now and is very stable as well as running very cool. I have never exceeded 55 degrees even while gaming and that was without the extra fans. However, not everything is perfect; I'm still having some display issues. It usually works fine but I have some occasional screen flickering or it might turn off for 5 seconds and then back on, or it might show artifacts / white noise for a couple of seconds and then returns to normal.. I'm guessing it's a driver issue...

It usually works fine but I have some occasional screen flickering or it might turn off for 5 seconds and then back on, or it might show artifacts / white noise for a couple of seconds and then returns to normal.. I'm guessing it's a driver issue...

Do you think it's the motherboard?
Or just a bad luck for the whole config?

(I had no issue at all with my B75M last year)

Do you think it's the motherboard?
Or just a bad luck for the whole config?

(I had no issue at all with my B75M last year)

I honestly don't know. Thing is, it doesn't always happen. Right now, the computer is working for 1,5 hours and it hasn't happened once. Other times it happen more frequently. I'm also suspecting the PSU: Right now I'm temporarily using a 75w external brick which might be too little for my actual needs. The proper (internal) PSU (100w) hasn't arrived yet, I'm expecting it this week.

Do you use the iGPU on your B75M? Because I have also built a B75N system with a dGPU and it works just fine, so that's a different case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back