Contribute
Register

Booting MacOS Keeps on Rebooting Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before erasing the M.2 SSD, I would suggest:
  • Boot from the USB install disk (press F12 at BIOS screen and choose USB flash disk).
  • At Clover menu, choose the Mojave M.2 SSD and see if it boots.
We know that the Mojave M.2 SSD crashes when you boot directly from it. So that's why we want to boot from the USB install disk instead. The reason is:
  • There is an EFI boot partition on the Mojave M.2 SSD.
  • There is an EFI boot partition on the USB Flash disk.
  • If the EFI boot partition on Mojave M.2 SSD is not working, we can use the EFI boot partition on the USB flash disk.

Here is what I tried :

Booting from the cloned drive. Result : it kept restarting (EFI were probably not cloned)

I then tried your suggestion to boot from the USB drive to the M.2 drive after following these steps (delete AptioMemoryFix-64.efi from the Drivers64UEFI folder/copy OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi into the same Drivers64UEFI folder/Used Clover Configurator to open config.plist, checked the slide=0 checkbox and saved the file). Result : Froze at Apple logo (it starts loading and stops after a few seconds)

I also tried to boot from the USB drive to run the installation of Mojave. Result : Froze at Apple logo (it starts loading and stops after a few seconds).

This video shows the computer booting from the USB drive to run the installation disk.

Here is the verbose page when I tried to boot from the USB to the Mojave installer :
20190106_215311_HDR.jpg

20190106_215358_HDR.jpg

Here is the verbose page when I tried to boot from the USB to the M.2SSD :
20190106_220656_HDR.jpg

20190106_220716_HDR.jpg

From there, I don't really know what to do!

I hope you guys have an idea!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Since my motherboard does not have USB 2.0, I tried every single USB port and got the same results every times.

Spike

@DaSpikeSydavong Please compress the entire EFI folder from the USB flash disk and upload. Also check your BIOS settings per the Tonymac Mojave build guide, STEP 3.

Sucess!

I managed to boot into the M.2 drive through the USB bootable drive after tweaking the BIOS settings!

My concern now is, should I try to fix the graphic problem (low frame rates) or should I downgrade to High Sierra?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been super helpful!

That one is up to you. You should be able to get decent performance out of the i7-8700K integrated graphics (for desktop and normal apps, if not for gaming). Is it worth the time to troubleshoot? Do you care whether you're on Mojave or not?

(In any case, you might want to take the opportunity to apply the changes that are on your USB drive to your m.2 drive so you're able to boot directly to the internal drive.)

That one is up to you. You should be able to get decent performance out of the i7-8700K integrated graphics (for desktop and normal apps, if not for gaming). Is it worth the time to troubleshoot? Do you care whether you're on Mojave or not?

(In any case, you might want to take the opportunity to apply the changes that are on your USB drive to your m.2 drive so you're able to boot directly to the internal drive.)

The reason why I had this issue is because :

''I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave recently and everything was working properly except that I was experiencing frame drops.

I decided to follow these steps (found on: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/)

''Preliminary
1. Remove:
- FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
- IntelGraphicsFixup
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup
- CoreDisplayFixup
- Shiki''

Since I did not have the latest version of Clover, I downloaded Clover EFI Bootloader 4813 to change these preferences.

After downloading Clover EFI Bootloader 4813, I had to leave and shut down the computer.

The next time I restarted the computer, I saw the new Clover EFI Bootloader, but when booting macOS (my usual drive), it just restarted the whole computer. And everytime I try to boot from any other drive, it does not work

I even tried to create a new USB bootable drive (with Mojave) to make a fresh install, but it just freezes on the Apple logo...

I don't know what to do anymore, and I'm not tech savy...

Thanks in advance for the help !''

Now that I can boot normally, I still experience FPS drops (lag in graphics) and the system is not working as smoothly as before my update to Mojave.

Right. So:

You should be able to get decent performance out of the i7-8700K integrated graphics (for desktop and normal apps, if not for gaming). Is it worth the time to troubleshoot? Do you care whether you're on Mojave or not?

I'm not trying to be facetious -- the first time I couldn't get Mojave working, I went back to High Sierra. The second time, I threw more time at it, and I got Mojave working. How much do you care which OS you're on? And do you have the time and inclination to troubleshoot? Or would you rather just go back to the known-working High Sierra setup?

The reason why I had this issue is because :

''I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave recently and everything was working properly except that I was experiencing frame drops.

I decided to follow these steps (found on: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/)

''Preliminary
1. Remove:
- FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
- IntelGraphicsFixup
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup
- CoreDisplayFixup
- Shiki''

Since I did not have the latest version of Clover, I downloaded Clover EFI Bootloader 4813 to change these preferences.

After downloading Clover EFI Bootloader 4813, I had to leave and shut down the computer.

The next time I restarted the computer, I saw the new Clover EFI Bootloader, but when booting macOS (my usual drive), it just restarted the whole computer. And everytime I try to boot from any other drive, it does not work

I even tried to create a new USB bootable drive (with Mojave) to make a fresh install, but it just freezes on the Apple logo...

I don't know what to do anymore, and I'm not tech savy...

Thanks in advance for the help !''

Now that I can boot normally, I still experience FPS drops (lag in graphics) and the system is not working as smoothly as before my update to Mojave.

Did you install that Clover EFI Bootloader 4813?

• If so there is a chance its CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and / and CLOVER/kexts/Other and config.plist are different from what you had in the System Disk causing inability to boot. A corrupted CLOVER is making System Disk unbootable.

Because its CLOVER is corrupt.
  • Unless you upload its CLOVER as a zipped file and your selected BIOS options, if you get any opinion, it will be just a guesswork based on no hard evidences. It may or may not help
If you want my help, I need:

• CLOVER from the USB Installer as a zipped file.
    • You may use the bulleted steps at #4
    • You need to Disconnect ALL other disks from MoBo; keep only the target HDD for Mojave install and Mojave USB Installer disk
    • You need to make BIOS setup to boot the USB Installer as First boot Device
    • You have to boot in Verbose and Upload Screen shots of any problem boot screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back