Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Boot Problem ("Prohibited sign")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the help. The screengab is garbled not because of the photo but because it was just garbled on my screen. I tried with Serial Port on and off but it didnt work. Maybe i will just try with another guide then. Thank you for the help!

I understand your frustration but our guide is probably the best in the business, using bespoke tools designed to make the process easier. Believe it or not the Catalina guide has been viewed over 1,000,000 times and certainly works for most. Of course there will always be unusual hardware configurations that need working through, no matter which guide you use. Your own hardware is standard fare and should be easy to configure. Clearly we are missing something obvious here.

What Mac did you download the Catalina installer on?

Did you use UniBeast to create a UEFI boot stick?

What type of main SSD/HDD are you trying to install to? This might be affecting the boot process - especially NVMe Samsung Pro and Plus models.

:)

I understand your frustration but our guide is probably the best in the business, using bespoke tools designed to make the process easier. Believe it or not the Catalina guide has been viewed over 1,000,000 times and certainly works for most. Of course there will always be unusual hardware configurations that need working through, no matter which guide you use. Your own hardware is standard fare and should be easy to configure. Clearly we are missing something obvious here.

What Mac did you download the Catalina installer on?

Did you use UniBeast to create a UEFI boot stick?

What type of main SSD/HDD are you trying to install to? This might be affecting the boot process - especially NVMe Samsung Pro and Plus models.

hi again
I downloaded catalina from a mac book pro early 2015 and I did use UniBeast to create a UEFI boot stick. I have 2 times the samsung 970 evo 500gb (without pro/plus) built in my PC. On one of them I have already insralled Windows 10 and the other one would be for Catalina.

hi again
I downloaded catalina from a mac book pro early 2015 and I did use UniBeast to create a UEFI boot stick. I have 2 times the samsung 970 evo 500gb (without pro/plus) built in my PC. On one of them I have already insralled Windows 10 and the other one would be for Catalina.

Okay, the fact Windows has been installed first might be the problem, because Windows UEFI version, writes to the same boot area EFI that macOS uses. Normally I would recommend installing macOS first or disconnecting the Windows drive while you install it.

If you mount the EFI partition of the macOS drive, or the main SSD, and take a look at what is in there, you will see what I mean.

Okay, the fact Windows has been installed first might be the problem, because Windows UEFI version, writes to the same boot area EFI that macOS uses. Normally I would recommend installing macOS first or disconnecting the Windows drive while you install it.

If you mount the EFI partition of the macOS drive, or the main SSD, and take a look at what is in there, you will see what I mean.

So I took out the SSD with windows, unfortunately when i boot Catalina it still hangs at the same place: "matching deferred by iousbhosthiddevice"

Attachments

• 15997715834215642322606343823983.jpg
    15997715834215642322606343823983.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
So I took out the SSD with windows, unfortunately when i boot Catalina it still hangs at the same place: "matching deferred by iousbhosthiddevice"

Okay, next try a USB test.

While the PC is booting press the Caps Lock key. Hopefully you have an indicator LED which turns on and off. When the system freezes check to see if the LED light still turns on or off as you press it...

Okay, next try a USB test.

While the PC is booting press the Caps Lock key. Hopefully you have an indicator LED which turns on and off. When the system freezes check to see if the LED light still turns on or off as you press it...
Thanks again for your answer. Yes, my Caps Lock key has a indicator LED. When i start booting, as soon as the loading bar below the apple logo appears i cannot turn on/off Caps Lock. (If the light is on in the begining i can't turn it of and the other way)

Thanks again for your answer. Yes, my Caps Lock key has a indicator LED. When i start booting, as soon as the loading bar below the apple logo appears i cannot turn on/off Caps Lock. (If the light is on in the begining i can't turn it of and the other way)

Okay. That might be indicating that the cause of the no-entry sign at boot is the USB port becoming inactive (or it could just be a crash/lock-up). To test this ...

When you use the standard UniBeast installer you can try adding the USBInjectAll.kext to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in the EFI partition of the UniBeast stick. Obviously to mount it you will have to use your MacBook etc.

Don't touch anything else on the UniBeast stick, just add the kext - preferably version 0.7.1 or 0.7.3.

Okay. That might be indicating that the cause of the no-entry sign at boot is the USB port becoming inactive (or it could just be a crash/lock-up). To test this ...

When you use the standard UniBeast installer you can try adding the USBInjectAll.kext to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in the EFI partition of the UniBeast stick. Obviously to mount it you will have to use your MacBook etc.

Don't touch anything else on the UniBeast stick, just add the kext - preferably version 0.7.1 or 0.7.3.

Tried it, didn't work. I also tried booting from an external SSD connected with SATA but it still crashed while booting, i came into a loop where it boots and then crashes and autlmatically brings me back into the boot menu.
Now i did everything from the start again and was booting with vanilla and the only change i made was to "fake" with a more recent IMac so that the CPU of the IMac and my CPU have the same generation. Now, while booting it doesn't crash anymore but when the loading bar beyond thr apple logo is at 100% then it is just stuck (i waited for more than 1 hour). Also, in the beginning when the loading bar is loading my mouse and keyboard lose power. (Their LED-light just turk off). In the attachment i post a picture in the verbose mode where it hangs (wich is exactly where my mouse and keyboard lose controll).

Attachments

• 15998418620141736570389324289561.jpg
    15998418620141736570389324289561.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 15998423526482699641391241343766.jpg
    15998423526482699641391241343766.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 1599842402635960183790427736840.jpg
    1599842402635960183790427736840.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Tried it, didn't work. I also tried booting from an external SSD connected with SATA but it still crashed while booting, i came into a loop where it boots and then crashes and autlmatically brings me back into the boot menu.
Now i did everything from the start again and was booting with vanilla and the only change i made was to "fake" with a more recent IMac so that the CPU of the IMac and my CPU have the same generation. Now, while booting it doesn't crash anymore but when the loading bar beyond thr apple logo is at 100% then it is just stuck (i waited for more than 1 hour). Also, in the beginning when the loading bar is loading my mouse and keyboard lose power. (Their LED-light just turk off). In the attachment i post a picture in the verbose mode where it hangs (wich is exactly where my mouse and keyboard lose controll).

Sorry I couldn't help. Final suggestion which I guess you've thought of ...

Have you tried without the R9 270x because that is likely why accelerated graphics are not taking over?

Edit: Check out @P1LGRIM 's post below :thumbup:

Last edited:
i post a picture in the verbose mode where it hangs

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 18.11.03.png

Try a forum search for 1689.
It's a very common problem which is usually easily solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back