Contribute
Register

Bluetooth USB Adapter with HID proxy mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your explanation was very detailed, glad you got it sorted out.

:think: I think I went through this too when I did the link key match during setting up the dual boot.

Yep, that's the problem, my Windows doesn't seem to want to pair my Wireless Keyboard in HCI Mode.
I have to check "HID Driver" in Bluetooth Device Ressources to allow pairing, so in HID Mode, thus giving me the 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 link key which cannot be used to pair in HID Proxy mode in early stages of boot.

More over I think that the BT device can be set for not entering HID Proxy mode by an OS.
This is a state that can't go away excepted if you do one of the two of the following:
1. Reset Mode by OS (don't know how I can do that from Windows OR OS X)
2. Shut power off (unplug the BT Dongle)
What's making me saying this is that when I lost HID Proxy Mode, and then entered OS X to delete/pair my Kayboard in order to get proper link keys back, and then rebooted, I couldn't pair at BIOS or OS Selection.

I think also that this Mode modification by Windows only happened when I paired the Keyboard in HID.
Because, before having paired anything, I could get out from Windows to go back in OS X and I had my Keyboard at BIOS or OS selection in between.

My guess is that I need to find a way to properly pair my Wireless Keyboard in Windows in HCI Mode or I'm screwed ^^

Your explanation was very detailed, glad you got it sorted out.

:think: I think I went through this too when I did the link key match during setting up the dual boot.

Oh BTW, did you do something special to pair your Wireless Keyboard with Windows, or everything was seamless?
Could you check please if your checkbox 'HID Driver' is checked in "Bluetooth Device" / "Keyboard" / "Ressources"?

THX ;)

Oh BTW, did you do something special to pair your Wireless Keyboard with Windows, or everything was seamless?
Could you check please if your checkbox 'HID Driver' is checked in "Bluetooth Device" / "Keyboard" / "Ressources"?

THX ;)

HID Driver is checked. I can't remember if I did something special - I did install Apple drivers for the keyboard and trackpad though. The link-key in OS X shows all zeroes for my Keyboard, but it works during boot, in Windows and in OS X.

HID Driver is checked. I can't remember if I did something special - I did install Apple drivers for the keyboard and trackpad though. The link-key in OS X shows all zeroes for my Keyboard, but it works during boot, in Windows and in OS X.

Drivers for the Keyboard???
Where???
That's the thing I'm missing! :D

(I really did not find any specific driver for the keyboard... for the magic mouse, sure I did, but NOT the keyboard :()

Mmmmhhh... that's strange anyway, is your link key different from 0?

Edit: Ahem... As usually didn't try the obvious thing to do... go directly to Apple Website to download the 580MB package containing everything... :headbang:

Drivers for the Keyboard???
Where???
That's the thing I'm missing! :D

(I really did not find any specific driver for the keyboard... for the magic mouse, sure I did, but NOT the keyboard :()

Mmmmhhh... that's strange anyway, is your link key different from 0?

Edit: Ahem... As usually didn't try the obvious thing to do... go directly to Apple Website to download the 580MB package containing everything... :headbang:

Okay I found some instructions I have written to myself if I ever need to install the Windows drivers again.
You'll only need:
AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe
AppleWirelessTrackpad64.exe
BootCamp.msi

First right-click (run as administrator) install the first two, then run the last one in command prompt (run cmd as admin).

I'm not sure if it makes sense to you, heck I don't know if it even makes sense to me anymore but this is all I have written :)

Okay I found some instructions I have written to myself if I ever need to install the Windows drivers again.
You'll only need:
AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe
AppleWirelessTrackpad64.exe
BootCamp.msi

First right-click (run as administrator) install the first two, then run the last one in command prompt (run cmd as admin).

I'm not sure if it makes sense to you, heck I don't know if it even makes sense to me anymore but this is all I have written :)

Thanks for having dug it up for me :thumbup:

So, installing AppleKeyboardInstaller64 DOES make sense.
Also the right driver for mou se and/or trackpad.
But why BootCamp.msi??? I assume you don't remember what it was needed for? :D

Also could you copy/paste this into a terminal and tell me if one of your link key is equal to 0?
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist[/FONT]

Thanks for having dug it up for me :thumbup:

So, installing AppleKeyboardInstaller64 DOES make sense.
Also the right driver for mou se and/or trackpad.
But why BootCamp.msi??? I assume you don't remember what it was needed for? :D

Also could you copy/paste this into a terminal and tell me if one of your link key is equal to 0?
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist[/FONT]

Yep, as I said, all zero link key for the keyboard.

I think the .msi file was needed in order to have the OS X style overlay appear when pressing volume keys.

I have documented most of what I have done to set up my hack but this proves I need to be more detailed in order to not have to ""decrypt" everything if I ever need to redo it. :lol:
Having said that, I don't recall that I did anything special to get the BT stuff to work properly. If, again, my memory serves me correctly I followed this guide by dysphasi.

Yep, as I said, all zero link key for the keyboard.

I think the .msi file was needed in order to have the OS X style overlay appear when pressing volume keys.

I have documented most of what I have done to set up my hack but this proves I need to be more detailed in order to not have to ""decrypt" everything if I ever need to redo it. :lol:
Having said that, I don't recall that I did anything special to get the BT stuff to work properly. If, again, my memory serves me correctly I followed this guide by dysphasi.

Ah ok, didn't see it! :thumbup:
So, you have all zeroes to Keyboard link key... And you still have HID Proxy mode enabled? :think:
That's strange... after all maybe not THAT strange...
I mean, if the link key was the only thing needed to pair in HID Proxy Mode, then I should've been able to pair in HID Proxy, after having paired in Windows, AND after having got back to OS X to delete/re-add the keyboard in order to gain valid Link Key... And IT'S NOT the case :problem:
So, now I'm beginning to think that only the Driver is needed in order to establish proper connection under windows, allowing the BT Receiver to get back to HID Proxy Mode when rebooted.

Ok for the Bootcamp.msi, I think you're right, I can't imagine anything else being touched by this ms installer.

I followed the same guide as you ;)

I'm gonna try it tonight when I'm home :headbang:

PS: Do you also to have to strike a key at boot to establish connection?

Ah ok, didn't see it! :thumbup:
So, you have all zeroes to Keyboard link key... And you still have HID Proxy mode enabled? :think:
That's strange... after all maybe not THAT strange...
I mean, if the link key was the only thing needed to pair in HID Proxy Mode, then I should've been able to pair in HID Proxy, after having paired in Windows, AND after having got back to OS X to delete/re-add the keyboard in order to gain valid Link Key... And IT'S NOT the case :problem:
So, now I'm beginning to think that only the Driver is needed in order to establish proper connection under windows, allowing the BT Receiver to get back to HID Proxy Mode when rebooted.

Ok for the Bootcamp.msi, I think you're right, I can't imagine anything else being touched by this ms installer.

I followed the same guide as you ;)

I'm gonna try it tonight when I'm home :headbang:

PS: Do you also to have to strike a key at boot to establish connection?

Yes, a key press is needed to initiate connection at boot.

Hmm.. I'm not sure about this but I think what is happening is that for the devices to connect in HID proxy mode, the all zero link key is needed since there is no software stack loaded and no way to read the link key from a file at boot.
Once the OS is loaded to the part where the software stack activates, it then changes the mode (which might explain the brief loss of connection) and reinitiates the connection using the link key that was created during pairing (or in this case was copied over from another OS where it was paired). Does that sound even remotely plausible? :)

Yes, a key press is needed to initiate connection at boot.

Hmm.. I'm not sure about this but I think what is happening is that for the devices to connect in HID proxy mode, the all zero link key is needed since there is no software stack loaded and no way to read the link key from a file at boot.
Once the OS is loaded to the part where the software stack activates, it then changes the mode (which might explain the brief loss of connection) and reinitiates the connection using the link key that was created during pairing (or in this case was copied over from another OS where it was paired). Does that sound even remotely plausible? :)

I have a valid Link Key for my wireless keyboard AND HID Proxy Mode :D
So, that seems to go in the same direction as what I mentioned earlier, meaning Key is not relevant for HID Proxy Mode (indeed, security key cannot be used before any driver has been loaded...)
What apparently is, is the state of the BT receiver, meaning that OS has to release HCI Mode at shutdown, which seems not being the case when I pair the keyboard under Windows without any driver (generic keyboard HID Driver)
And also the fact you must at least pair the keyboard with the receiver once, in OS X, to get HID Proxy Mode working at the next reboot.
I think it's the address of the keyboard which is stored by BT receiver, as when you unplug the receiver, or power down PC entirely, you lose HID Proxy Mode :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there isn't any code change during pairing under OS X, but only mode change from HID to HCI.
If your link key is zero once your keyboard is paired within OS X, then it means that your link key IS zero :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back