Contribute
Register

Bluetooth USB Adapter with HID proxy mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmhhhh... Maybe I should concentrate more information in the first post of this topic...
For example where to find the Pairing Devices with same keys in OSX and Windows Tutorial, and what's going on when you try to pair keyboard in Windows without any drivers, and what to do about it...

Whatcha think? :mrgreen:

Mmmhhhh... Maybe I should concentrate more information in the first post of this topic...
For example where to find the Pairing Devices with same keys in OSX and Windows Tutorial, and what's going on when you try to pair keyboard in Windows without any drivers, and what to do about it...

Whatcha think? :mrgreen:

A lot of knowledge is scattered in tiny bits around the forum, and already in this thread itself - so yeah, I'm sure it would be of great help to anyone looking for the info :)

I received the Laird BT820, and tried it. I'm not able to access my bios. I'm using the Laird with the Logitech 810 bluetooth keyboard. I'm using Windows 7 and the BT820 device is detected, then the Microsoft drivers gets installed. Works well while Windows 7 is running. Unfortunately I don't use OSX, and the only reason I posted here was because this was the only active post I could find regarding HID proxy mode for bluetooth devices. Very strange there isn't more information surrounding this particular topic.

Laird provided no driver's. This device appears to be very capable, but I'm not sure if a custom device driver needs to be developed for it to put the device into hid proxy mode. Just don't know what to do from here. :banghead:

Tried both the Microsoft and Toshiba stacks.

Mmmhhhh... I lost HID Proxy Mode when pairing my Apple Wireless Keyboard into Windows... So I guess the same thing could have happened to you.
Or, it could be also that your keyboard doesn't support HID Proxy Mode (unlikely, but who knows...)

I did have to go back into OS X, unpair/pair keyboard, unplug/replug the BT receiver, then I got my HID Proxy Mode back.

By the way, find yourself an USB Keyboard before doing so, it will be much easier if you can't get your wireless keyboard to work during a certain amount of time.
First thing first, verify inside the property windows of your BT Keyboard Device, under Device Tab, if HID Driver is checked.
If so, try to uncheck it, and unpair/pair your keyboard.
If pairing is successful, then, try to unplug/replug the BT receiver (to reinitialize its state).
Then reboot, and, while your computer is displaying the BIOS page, hit a key, doesn't matter which key, just hit :headbang: (you can also try to hit several different keys if you wish :D)
If HID Proxy Mode is properly set by BT receiver at startup, and if your keyboard does support it, you should see, just after having stroke the key, a light on your keyboard (if it does have one) indicating that a connection attempt is being made to a BT receiver.
Then, you should be able to hit the "Del" key or whatever other key to enter your BIOS settings.

The problem is the time needed to establish connection in HID Proxy Mode.
I noticed that right after my BIOS page is displayed is the exact moment when the pairing is really done, so that doesn't let me lot of time to hit the key to enter my BIOS :lol:
It's still possible though :thumbup:

BUT, since I also have other SATA devices to initialize at boot, right after my BIOS page is displayed, I have two others pages displaying (SATA devices initializing, 1. Intel RAID and 2. Marvell SATA), so that gives me much more time to establish proper HID Proxy connection AND to strike the right key (To enter BIOS, or Boot PopUp, or BIOS Flash Utility)

I have the AsRock OC Formula motherboard and the bios has a setting to set how long the computer will wait before the OS runs. So after everything is detected on the initial start-up of the computer, and it shows that I can select the F2 key to enter the bios, it will wait at that screen for as long as I want, depending on how many seconds I set it to wait for in the bios. So I set it to wait for 30 seconds before windows loads. I figured it would give the Laird blueooth adapter plenty of time to sync with my Logitech 810 keyboard. Well it didn't work. I still can't get into the bios without using my usb keyboard.

sebkulu, I tried your suggestion regarding unselecting the hid service in the keyboard property settings but that didn't help either. Not sure what else to do now. Guess I could try getting the Belkin adapter you have had success with. Would the Belkin F8T016CW adapter not work at all for you in hid proxy mode once you have rebooted your computer from within Windows?

I have the AsRock OC Formula motherboard and the bios has a setting to set how long the computer will wait before the OS runs. So after everything is detected on the initial start-up of the computer, and it shows that I can select the F2 key to enter the bios, it will wait at that screen for as long as I want, depending on how many seconds I set it to wait for in the bios. So I set it to wait for 30 seconds before windows loads. I figured it would give the Laird blueooth adapter plenty of time to sync with my Logitech 810 keyboard. Well it didn't work. I still can't get into the bios without using my usb keyboard.

sebkulu, I tried your suggestion regarding unselecting the hid service in the keyboard property settings but that didn't help either. Not sure what else to do now. Guess I could try getting the Belkin adapter you have had success with. Would the Belkin F8T016CW adapter not work at all for you in hid proxy mode once you have rebooted your computer from within Windows?

Ok, so you actually CAN give some time to your BIOS before jumping into bot stage ;)
Ok, nice try :thumbup:
Too bad it didn't change a thing... :thumbdown:
When you say: "So after everything is detected on the initial start-up of the computer, and it shows that I can select the F2 key to enter the bios", did you hit a key during the initial start-up of the computer? (so when the BIOS is detecting Memory, CPU, etc...)
If so, what happened? Did you have some impression that your BT Keyboard was trying to establish a connection with your BT receiver? (Have you the ability to see that kind of thing? Blinking light or something on your KB?)

Just to be clear, here is my boot process:
1. Graphics card BIOS init
2. Motherboard BIOS init (CPU detection / RAM detection / etc...) -> That's when I hit a key to establish connection between KB and BT receiver
3. SATA controllers BIOS init (2 in my case, first Intel, then Marvell)
4. Post -> That's when I can hit the 'Del' or 'F11' or 'F2' key (to do what I wanna do, so enter BIOS, make boot popup appear, etc...)

Please see here if you wanna know more about BIOS init -> http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/how-computers-boot-up

As for the Belkin F8T016CW, still did not try to do what I advised you to do:
0. Unpair Keyboard & all other devices, and delete BT devices
1. Unplug BT receiver / Replug BT receiver
2. Install Keyboard drivers
3. Try to add Keyboard (thus in HCI Mode), and other HCI devices (in my case, Magic Mouse for instance)
4. If successful, try to reboot...
5. Try HID Proxy Mode

Please also note that with a HID Proxy Mode compliant BT receiver, I also CANNOT ACTIVATE HID Proxy Mode when exiting Windows and rebooting...
So, I'm not sure that changing your BT receiver would be a good idea... at least as long I have not been myself able to use HID Proxy Mode after exiting Windows and rebooting...

Hi everyone,
this forum is definitely the place where I found most information on Bluetooth HID Proxy Mode. However, I have not been able to solve my issue so far.
I have a CSR8510 based Inateck BTA-CSR4B5 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter. The CSR8510 chip is definitely HID Proxy Mode capable. However I have not found a way to activate it.
Does anyone know how to
-pair keyboard and mouse with the Inateck
-put the Inateck into HID Proxy Mode permanently, so that it can be used in BIOS Setup and in a dual boot setup.

I have also ordered a Belkin F8T016CW, as it is reported to be HID Proxy Mode compatible. Is it possible to put the Belkin into HID Proxy Mode permanently (not just when booting) for dual boot setups?

thanks a lot and regards
Rudi

Hi,
here, in Spain, I have could find Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter model F8T016NE
+ Works out of the box
+ Has HID proxy mode
+ Allows wake on BT keyboard

Hi everyone!

Based on this thread, I ordered the Belkin bluetooth dongle F8T016NG via amazon:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001BROKXO/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I just want to mention, that the HID proxy mode is not working in contrast to what is reported here. I tried it with a Logitech K810 and the Apple Wireless Keyboard. After I connected them in HCI bluetooth mode in Windows or Linux (which worked without a problem), I tried to reboot to BIOS and didn't get a single key transferred during that phase. The Belkin BT dongle seems to report a USB-HID mouse and keyboard in BIOS, but nevertheless it's not working. As soon as I press a key on the keyboard, the blue LED is blinking (so a connection seems to be established) but that's all. A short disconnection even didn't help. I tested everything on two different laptops and one Pico-ITX mainboard.

There is a button on that small dongle, but the function is nowhere explained. I tried to push+hold it, the dongle starts flashing faster, but I don't know what to do then. Tried to enter 0000 and 1234, but nothing did help.

Any help or experience with this dongle? What am I doing wrong with it? Does someone own that F8T016NG dongle and could post me a "lsusb" or some similar output?!

Thank you and best regards,
K-Meleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back