Contribute
Register

Bluetooth USB Adapter with HID proxy mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooohhhhh Yeeeahhhhh! :headbang:

I just received the Belkin F8T016CW and I can confirm it WORKS in HID Proxy Mode!
So, I can get rid of the Belkin F8T065BF which doesn't :lolno:

So far:
1. Apple Built-in BT module
with mod to plug it in some USB 2.0 port -> The RIGHT way, but you've got to mod it
2. Belkin F8T016NG
isn't made anymore
3. Belkin F8T016CW
WORKS in HID Proxy Mode!
4. D-Link DBT-120
rev B1-B4 with Apple Firmware upgrade, and all rev C without any Firmware upgrade -> Hard to find, and BIG USB dongle

Nice :D Thanks for your efforts!

Unhappily, Rocketfish RF-MRBTAD seems to be a NO-GO on my configuration, meaning that this Bluetooth adapter is NOT initiated in HID Proxy Mode by the BIOS.
More over, I found that there's quite a long time to wait for this adapter to establish contact with Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard at startup.
I have to wait something like 10-15s before the connection is properly done between the
adapter and the devices.

I just plugged the Belkin in back, and I'm about to reboot my system to check if it's still initiated in HID Proxy Mode by BIOS at Boot.

Sure, it does... :thumbup:

Not that I was doubting it, but better to double-check those things...

So, anyway, Belkin seems to be quite fast about setting its connection up and running, and my Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard are both immediately available at Connection Screen.

Oh, just remember to strike a key at boot to establish connection between the keyboard and the BT receiver.
I also attempted to do so with the Rocketfish adapter, but no luck with it.

After some days having used the Belkin F8T016CW, I would like to report 2-3 things I noted.

Sometimes, and only at cold boot, the communication does not establish between the keyboard and the adapter when the adapter is initiated in HID Proxy Mode (so better to have a little USB keyboard somewhere near for those moments)
When this happens, I also noted that often the keyboard is not immediately paired with the adapter in HCI Mode at OS X Login Screen, as it uses to be at almost all times.

So, excepted for this glitch, I love my adapter, it does the job pretty well, is cheap, and very little!
Drawbacks are limited range (as well as maaaaaaaaaany others, I could test it myself...) and limited availability.

Note: Belkin F8T065BF, Belkin F8T016CW, and Rocketfish RF-MTBAD are using Broadcom Chipset.
  • BCM20702A0 for the F8T065BF
  • BCM2046B1 for the F8T016CW
  • BCM2046B1 for the RF-MRBTAD

EDIT:
So, as you can see, Belkin F8T016CW and Rocketfish RF-MRBTAD are using the same Chipset...
I don't understand why the Rocketfish is not initiated in HID Proxy Mode when booting,... IT SHOULD!
Mmmmhhhh... Maybe I should try some other USB port than the one habitually used by the Belkin.

Another day, another problem!

So, I did the tutorial to pair Magic Mouse both in Windows and OS X without having to pair them again and again each time I switch OS, but... by pairing also the wireless Keyboard into Windows, it seems I just lost HID Proxy Mode at boot... :banghead:

So, anyone aware of this problem that might have a solution? :idea:

Another day, another problem!

So, I did the tutorial to pair Magic Mouse both in Windows and OS X without having to pair them again and again each time I switch OS, but... by pairing also the wireless Keyboard into Windows, it seems I just lost HID Proxy Mode at boot... :banghead:

So, anyone aware of this problem that might have a solution? :idea:

That sounds really bad. Did you install any 3rd party drivers or is it using the generic BT radio driver in Windows? U know, sometimes installing a driver may also update the firmware of the dongle, and that is where the proxy mode feature is either disabled or enabled. This is probably why you saw the feature working on only one of two chipsets of the exact same model, referring to your earlier post. Why any update might disable such a useful feature doesn't make any sense.

That sounds really bad. Did you install any 3rd party drivers or is it using the generic BT radio driver in Windows? U know, sometimes installing a driver may also update the firmware of the dongle, and that is where the proxy mode feature is either disabled or enabled. This is probably why you saw the feature working on only one of two chipsets of the exact same model, referring to your earlier post. Why any update might disable such a useful feature doesn't make any sense.

Nope, Generic driver was already installed, and I already booted into Windows 7 a few times without nothing happening.
This has been only AFTER having paired the Wireless Keyboard in Windows.
So, I think (hope) BT dongle firmware has not been updated (!!!)

That could also be a selected mode issue only, where mode has been set on HCI only by Windows.

What I should do is to boot into Windows back, then delete the keyboard from BT Devices (or try to pair Keyboard in HCI mode and not HID mode as it is now), then reboot, go back to OS X, delete Keyboard, pair it, unplug BT Dongle, plug BT Dongle (to ensure deleting any preferences set by any OS), ensure everything is back to normal (link keys set for example, and not 00000 as I have with Keyboard when booting back into OS X after Windows...).... Phew!

Then, reboot, and check if HID Proxy mode can be triggered like before...

Let's roll!

Now I'm damn sure it's a select mode issue only :headbang:

I deleted the keyboard in OS X, then re-added it.
I need to explain a little further why I did this.
Basically, when you pair your Keyboard in Windows, and install the device with HID Driver, and you get back to OS X, I noticed my link keys in /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist had become 00000000 00000000 00000000 000000000
I think it does mean that you're paired in HID only mode allowing less secure connection between BT device and BT Dongle.
So, when you delete the keyboard in OS X then re-add it, the connection is then done in HCI mode (because OS X have the right DRIVERS for the Keyboard), and set up in a secure way (you do that by typing a passcode on the keyboard)

Then, again, to ensure BT Dongle memory erasing, I unplugged it (while in OS X), then re-plugged it, checked my devices were pairing all right with it, and finally rebooted.

And guess what? I have my HID Proxy mode back :)

I think Windows has set BT Dongle in HCI Mode only because of the lack of drivers for the keyboard (or at least its inability to pair in a secure way in HCI), so as long as your BT Dongle is powered, you can't get your HID Proxy Mode back...
:banghead:
That being said, this is not enough, you MUST have paired your keyboard at least once in HCI mode with a valid link key, which I think is stored by the BT Dongle (that could be why HID Proxy Mode works only AFTER you have paired your keyboard at least ONCE)
So that is why I also deleted the keyboard in OS X, and then re-added it, to establish a secure connection and make the BT Dongle store the damn Link Key :thumbup:

PS: I hope I'm clear enough in my explanations :lol:

So, put in another way:

1. Delete then re-add keyboard in OS X
2. Unplug/Replug BT Dongle while in OS X
3. Reboot
4. Enjoy ^^

Your explanation was very detailed, glad you got it sorted out.

:think: I think I went through this too when I did the link key match during setting up the dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back