Contribute
Register

Big Sur stuck on boot - Z590/11900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on progress on your build...

Can u report:
- SMBIOS
- Framebuffer / Whatevergreen config
- BIOS PCIe config re lane assignments re M.2
- Overclock config (ASUS AI?)
- SSD model, which slot

For me open items are:
- Something in the kernel is constantly eating 35% of one CPU thread. Not a big deal but am curious what's doing it. Kernel tracing might reveal but learning curve
- Board MSR CFG is writeable but if I disable both CFGlock patches boots will sometimes panic, then works next boot.
- Board sleep wakes up after 2 seconds and a flash-drive might disconnect.
- Thunderbolt untested. The z490/z590 thread has some excellent reporting on status of Gigabyte Vision / ASUS Hero z590 TB. It's a mixed bag due to half-baked BIOS and backwards compatibility of hot-plug and new TB security features.

For my z590 10900 build, I've pretty much closed out the whole Dortania guide post-install and am very good with function, performance an stability. My best EFI is posted over at z490/z590 per previous msg.

Thinking about replacing Comet Lake i9 with Rocket Lake. I see a possibility to gain 30% single core benchmark improvement and double SSD throughput by putting in a Rocket Lake i9... But your report is more like a 12% perf gain

My best GB5 single was 1350 early on. Today it's about 1290, which has me wondering about what is buring cycles in the kernel. Some report GB5 of 1900.

I am coming from a 2008 cMP 3,1 so this build feels incredibly responsive and does everything at least 4x faster and this new silicon murders the old mac on key tasks like encryption.

Playing with a M1 MBP I am astonished by its responsiveness and compute power in 25W envelope with no fan at all, but it throttles easily under multicore load while this space heater can run at full load all day with highend graphics and 8x the RAM. It gives a substantial compute increase over a fully loaded iMac 20,2 and costs literally half as much. Overall compares insanely well with 12 core Mac Pro at 1/3 cost. Apple is still milking its market on storage and config options.

Random blabbering opinions: I am very skeptical about prospects for Intel Alder Lake in general, and for macOS almost zilch to look forward to. So in my view, this z590 is swan song, end of an era.

Nice, glad to see there are others out there making progress with the Maximus Hero XIII.

To answer your questions:
- SMBIOS:
Set to iMac20,2 - most closely resembled the newer hardware / works well for me.​
- Framebuffer:
According to HackinTool mine is set to an Iris 655 - Coffee Lake - 0x3EA50009 (I did not set this manually so I'm guessing it pulled as the default from my Comet Lake CPU spoof - EB060900 to get my 11900k working in big sur).​
- BIOS lane assignments:
I'm running 2 Samsung 980 Pros (both PCIe 4.0) so I have the M.2_2 slot enabled.​
*ADVANCED -​
ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION -​
CPU PCIE Configuration Mode = PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2 + M.2_2​
Actual lane configuration is as follows​
  • PCIEX16_1 - 8x ( Nvidia GTX 1080 - for gaming for windows)
  • PCIEX16_2 - 4x ( AMD RX 580 8gb - for big sur)
  • M.2_1 - 4x (Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0)
  • M.2_2 - 4x (Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0)
- Overclocking:
No OC just yet, AI profile set to XMP1 to get my memory running at 3600mhz. I do plan to OC the 119000 eventually, just haven't yet.​
- SSD: See above BIOS lane assignments section

Outstanding issues:
  • Bluetooth randomly works some days and other days it doesn't... not really sure what's up with that.
  • WiFi doesn't work at all but I know there isn't much support for the AX210 WiFi chipset.. yet.
Notes:

I got super lucky and stumbled upon someone selling an MSI RX580 8gb GPU on eBay for $95 (it had been used for mining for 6 months but idc, I only use my Hackintosh for coding and surfing the web) so I gave up on messing with the iGPU of the 11900.

I'm not sure why your GB5 scores would decrease in that manner but if you find out more let me know. I just ran one and clocked in at 1536 with stock clock speeds. However, when I had my SSDT-PLUG enabled my score was half of that so I disabled it and haven't noticed any issues since.

I'm also not sure what BIOS version you're running but the latest one 0704 (Beta) gave me some seriously weird issues like random freezing, rebooting, etc. Just all around unstable. As soon as I downgraded to 0605 everything worked flawlessly and has been since.

I also run the ControlMsr2.efi driver to check my CFG-Lock and from what I can tell its unlocked by default? I haven't touched it but I haven't run into any issues with how it is.

As far as the Thunderbolt stuff goes, I've been using an SSDT from someone who mapped the Thunderbolt ports for the XIII (in that same Z490/z590 thread or possibly another one) and all 3 TB ports work for me in Big Sur (2x on the back and 1 on my PC case connected to my MOBO).

I've heard great things about the M1 chips and I know Apple is going full-steam ahead with them but I am hoping they eventually release native support for the Rocket Lake 11x chips so that they can be fully utilized. Agreed though, I would be surprised to see Alder Lake support especially with the M2 chip around the corner.

Attached is the latest copy of my EFI that I've been running with that has been working for me over the last several weeks with no issues. Big Sur 11.2.3 and OC 0.6.8.

Attachments

• Z590-11900k-EFI.zip
    43.5 MB · Views: 461
Nice, glad to see there are others out there making progress with the Maximus Hero XIII.

- SMBIOS:
Set to iMac20,2 - most closely resembled the newer hardware / works well for me.​
- Framebuffer:
According to HackinTool mine is set to an Iris 655 - Coffee Lake - 0x3EA50009 (I did not set this manually so I'm guessing it pulled as the default from my Comet Lake CPU spoof - EB060900 to get my 11900k working in big sur).​
- BIOS lane assignments:
I'm running 2 Samsung 980 Pros (both PCIe 4.0) so I have the M.2_2 slot enabled.​
*ADVANCED -​
- Overclocking:
No OC just yet, AI profile set to XMP1 to get my memory running at 3600mhz. I do plan to OC the 119000 eventually, just haven't yet.​

Outstanding issues:
  • Bluetooth randomly works some days and other days it doesn't... not really sure what's up with that.
  • WiFi doesn't work at all but I know there isn't much support for the AX210 WiFi chipset.. yet.
Notes:

I got super lucky and stumbled upon someone selling an MSI RX580 8gb GPU on eBay for $95 (it had been used for mining for 6 months but idc, I only use my Hackintosh for coding and surfing the web) so I gave up on messing with the iGPU of the 11900.

I'm not sure why your GB5 scores would decrease in that manner but if you find out more let me know. I just ran one and clocked in at 1536 with stock clock speeds. However, when I had my SSDT-PLUG enabled my score was half of that so I disabled it and haven't noticed any issues since.

I'm also not sure what BIOS version you're running but the latest one 0704 (Beta) gave me some seriously weird issues like random freezing, rebooting, etc. Just all around unstable. As soon as I downgraded to 0605 everything worked flawlessly and has been since.

I also run the ControlMsr2.efi driver to check my CFG-Lock and from what I can tell its unlocked by default? I haven't touched it but I haven't run into any issues with how it is.

As far as the Thunderbolt stuff goes, I've been using an SSDT from someone who mapped the Thunderbolt ports for the XIII (in that same Z490/z590 thread or possibly another one) and all 3 TB ports work for me in Big Sur (2x on the back and 1 on my PC case connected to my MOBO).

I've heard great things about the M1 chips and I know Apple is going full-steam ahead with them but I am hoping they eventually release native support for the Rocket Lake 11x chips so that they can be fully utilized. Agreed though, I would be surprised to see Alder Lake support especially with the M2 chip around the corner.

Attached is the latest copy of my EFI that I've been running with that has been working for me over the last several weeks with no issues. Big Sur 11.2.3 and OC 0.6.8.

Thank you!

Some thoughts to add on your report:

PREFACE

I got tripped up a number of times in my config with lore that is becoming outdated. I always felt a little iffy about Clover, rEFInd etc, but OpenCore looks really good and brings together a huge amount of experience. Not for weenies but everything about it adds up and makes sense to me. Problem for noobs is knowing which lore is old-testament and which is new.

Dortania guide is a work of art and an incredible resource, much appreciated.

HACKINTOOL / GPU CONFIG

Does Hackintool take a guess at config based on what it's hosted on? I got confused between the difference between hoping Hackintool was telling me what is needed (lazy hope) and hackintool providing a baseline for crafting a suitable config. Hackintool does the latter. Don't trust it to cough up a meaningful config. User is offered meaningful suggestions, but user must think it though.

In your case, Rocket Lake CPUID will certainly not be recognized by macOS so telling OS it is Coffee Lake was used to get Iris support? Sorry if I am not quick but I'm trying to make sure I understand what you are saying...

*** My finding is that SMBIOS iMac 20,2 means iGPU is not gonna drive a display. That platform always has a dGPU. I wasted a lot of time thinking otherwise.

In my build, Comet Lake CPU device ID is supported per iMac 20,2 i9-10910K. So only DeviceProperty needed is platform-id. UHD 630 iGPU VDA / Quicksync works out-of-box on Comet Lake with platform-id 07009B3E. (the 07... doesn't change fact that SMBIOS means this config is iGPU headless.)

Note—ASUS BIOS appears to correctly support DVMT pre-alloc to just set to 64MB or bigger so no goofing around with stolenmem etc required, and of course connectors are irrelevant.

BIOS / THUNDERBOLT

I am using 704 beta BIOS and have seen no problems I can attribute to BIOS. System is working great at that level.

I can't try TB because it's newfangled tech for me and I want TB4 or nothing and with Comet Lake I must accept nothing.

But word on street is TB3 works on Asus Hero VIII.

However... A Gigabyte user on z490/z590 thread has been really struggling with TB3 hot-plug. There's some awful frustration with Gigabyte TB not ready for prime-time, which I think (hope) will pass. however.

Gigabyte boards have been a reliable hackintosh go-to, but in z590 era, Asus seems to have a bit cleaner release.

Working on my build I've come to better appreciate Apple's Mac HW design choices and their move to their own ARM. TB really should revolutionize PC I/O but only Apple takes it seriously and it messes up the whole notion of what a PC is so Microsoft is not stoked about it... I worked with Intel super-computer architecture teams way back in day and close HW engineers whose work would lead to TB and Microsoft never wanted the power of that tech. They took one look and thought "This I/O archiecture will completely disrupt the centrality of the kernel to the system protection model, and without the kernel there is no centrality of Microsoft!" Then their architects ran in the other direction. Intel doesn't have the capability to redefine compuer architecture against MSFT's wishes, and Apple does but has always been marginal. Until now. So here we are decades later and Apple finally as all the Apples, so may systems architecture can again evolve.

Sry I'm babbling. What I meant to say is that I didn't know whether to do Gigabyte or Asus for my z590 and was a little concerned about Asus rep, but I choose it because it looked cool :) Lol

What hits me these days is BIOS is just as complicated as a whole OS, and config mgmt of BIOS is a combinatorial nightmare. I feel I should've been bitten but so far haven't just be luck.

WIRELESS

itlwm may be the future of hackintosh Intel wireless.

For now the bells/whistles integration of Apple-ID per airdrop / hand-off / continuity are unavailable. So I used an add-on PCIe BCRM card. I have to say I really enjoy the way Big Sur lets my Apple ID harmonize Airdop, file-sharing, etc. It's slippery-slope convenience, which I like, against all warnings of history.

PCI CONFIG

Can you or someone explain that BIOS config in layman's lingo? What the hell is PCI bifurcation, what does choosing the Asus lane config really do? I just wanted my NVMe to be recognized and it was a big deal to learn that M2_1 was reserved for PCI4 out of CPU. Omg. It was like discovering that a PCIe Wifi card needs a USB header for BT. Garrr

GEEKBENCH

I've nothing to complain about. But my 1350 is the very top end of all reports on the GB website, which was nice.

Your mid-1500s is well below the best reports of 1900 for i9-11900. So there's a fair amount of useful power still on table in your rig. I promise to share anything I learn re wasted cycles.

Have you tried a drive benchmark? Do you find all the I/O that PCI4 promises?

P.S.

This stackexchange is the best rundown on performance investigation tools I've found so far...

Last edited:
See Dortania status report on z590.

Well worth a read for anyone interested in z590.

Disappointingly, Rocket Lake is reported to be an outlier...

Intel Z590 compatibility with macOS

//RKL IGPU is unsupported and will likely never be. Booting with RKL IGPU enabled with or without connectors results in boot failure (black screen). Can be disabled by WEG in macOS exclusively through injecting disable-gpu into an IGPU device. This can let other systems use IGPU acceleration to off-load tasks.//

//By default USB audio will cause macOS to immediately wake after sleep. The fix is explained in the USB section below. ... To workaround this immediate S3 wake issue caused the audio controller the USB port it is connected to (commonly HS02 on ASUS, yet can easily be found in the I/O Registry) needs to be given an internal type via the USB port plist kext (UsbConnector → 255). Afterwards the board should sleep just fine. To resolve the issue with USB wake not lighting the screen USBWakeFixup is still needed.//

Ah-ha!

———

My experience with and Asus Hero VIII, Comet Lake i9-10900K, and W5700 Pro is 98.5% positive. I'm lucky, maybe, to have this build work with expected performance and very manageable compromises. I'm super happy with my config. Anyway, read the informative report.

Thank you!

Some thoughts to add on your report:

PREFACE

I got tripped up a number of times in my config with lore that is becoming outdated. I always felt a little iffy about Clover, rEFInd etc, but OpenCore looks really good and brings together a huge amount of experience. Not for weenies but everything about it adds up and makes sense to me. Problem for noobs is knowing which lore is old-testament and which is new.

Dortania guide is a work of art and an incredible resource, much appreciated.

HACKINTOOL / GPU CONFIG

Does Hackintool take a guess at config based on what it's hosted on? I got confused between the difference between hoping Hackintool was telling me what is needed (lazy hope) and hackintool providing a baseline for crafting a suitable config. Hackintool does the latter. Don't trust it to cough up a meaningful config. User is offered meaningful suggestions, but user must think it though.

In your case, Rocket Lake CPUID will certainly not be recognized by macOS so telling OS it is Coffee Lake was used to get Iris support? Sorry if I am not quick but I'm trying to make sure I understand what you are saying...

*** My finding is that SMBIOS iMac 20,2 means iGPU is not gonna drive a display. That platform always has a dGPU. I wasted a lot of time thinking otherwise.

In my build, Comet Lake CPU device ID is supported per iMac 20,2 i9-10910K. So only DeviceProperty needed is platform-id. UHD 630 iGPU VDA / Quicksync works out-of-box on Comet Lake with platform-id 07009B3E. (the 07... doesn't change fact that SMBIOS means this config is iGPU headless.)

Note—ASUS BIOS appears to correctly support DVMT pre-alloc to just set to 64MB or bigger so no goofing around with stolenmem etc required, and of course connectors are irrelevant.

BIOS / THUNDERBOLT

I am using 704 beta BIOS and have seen no problems I can attribute to BIOS. System is working great at that level.

I can't try TB because it's newfangled tech for me and I want TB4 or nothing and with Comet Lake I must accept nothing.

But word on street is TB3 works on Asus Hero VIII.

However... A Gigabyte user on z490/z590 thread has been really struggling with TB3 hot-plug. There's some awful frustration with Gigabyte TB not ready for prime-time, which I think (hope) will pass. however.

Gigabyte boards have been a reliable hackintosh go-to, but in z590 era, Asus seems to have a bit cleaner release.

Working on my build I've come to better appreciate Apple's Mac HW design choices and their move to their own ARM. TB really should revolutionize PC I/O but only Apple takes it seriously and it messes up the whole notion of what a PC is so Microsoft is not stoked about it... I worked with Intel super-computer architecture teams way back in day and close HW engineers whose work would lead to TB and Microsoft never wanted the power of that tech. They took one look and thought "This I/O archiecture will completely disrupt the centrality of the kernel to the system protection model, and without the kernel there is no centrality of Microsoft!" Then their architects ran in the other direction. Intel doesn't have the capability to redefine compuer architecture against MSFT's wishes, and Apple does but has always been marginal. Until now. So here we are decades later and Apple finally as all the Apples, so may systems architecture can again evolve.

Sry I'm babbling. What I meant to say is that I didn't know whether to do Gigabyte or Asus for my z590 and was a little concerned about Asus rep, but I choose it because it looked cool :) Lol

What hits me these days is BIOS is just as complicated as a whole OS, and config mgmt of BIOS is a combinatorial nightmare. I feel I should've been bitten but so far haven't just be luck.

WIRELESS

itlwm may be the future of hackintosh Intel wireless.

For now the bells/whistles integration of Apple-ID per airdrop / hand-off / continuity are unavailable. So I used an add-on PCIe BCRM card. I have to say I really enjoy the way Big Sur lets my Apple ID harmonize Airdop, file-sharing, etc. It's slippery-slope convenience, which I like, against all warnings of history.

PCI CONFIG

Can you or someone explain that BIOS config in layman's lingo? What the hell is PCI bifurcation, what does choosing the Asus lane config really do? I just wanted my NVMe to be recognized and it was a big deal to learn that M2_1 was reserved for PCI4 out of CPU. Omg. It was like discovering that a PCIe Wifi card needs a USB header for BT. Garrr

GEEKBENCH

I've nothing to complain about. But my 1350 is the very top end of all reports on the GB website, which was nice.

Your mid-1500s is well below the best reports of 1900 for i9-11900. So there's a fair amount of useful power still on table in your rig. I promise to share anything I learn re wasted cycles.

Have you tried a drive benchmark? Do you find all the I/O that PCI4 promises?

P.S.

This stackexchange is the best rundown on performance investigation tools I've found so far...

This is actually my first build using OpenCore and I have to agree that the Dortania guide is amazing, much kudos to them for putting the time into building that for the public. I came from Clover and I find the boot menu of Clover to be more aesthetically pleasing but the OpenCore platform is much cleaner under the hood. I haven't used HackinTool a whole bunch myself but its an awesome piece of software so I'm looking forward to using it more. I agree that it seems more like a window "behind-the-scenes" utility rather than some magic tool, which is awesome for Hackintosh efforts.

So I have my CPU spoofed to a Comet Lake processor (EB060900) and Hackintool shows that my framebuffer/iGPU is a Coffee Lake-Iris 655, I'm assuming they are connected because I never manually set the framebuffer.

I've actually heard that about the 20,2 SMBIOS which is why I went with that one vs 19,1/20,1 as I'm using an RX 580 and gave up on trying to figure out trying to get the iGPU to fully work.

Yeah I'm not fully sure why the 0704 BIOS didn't work for me but I wasn't able to have my system online for more than 5-10 minutes before it locked up and rebooted. I would think its related to the Rocket Lake 11900k so thankfully downgrading to 0605 has been working perfectly for me. I'll wait until the next revision comes out and try again. Overall I'm very happy with the Asus board vs any of the others though. I came from a 4790k/Asus Maximus Hero VII so this was a pretty big upgrade for me. It's unfortunate that the wireless/bluetooth don't fully work yet but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

So PCIe bifurcation is basically the sharing of the available PCIe lanes across multiple ports, to put it simply. So instead of PCIe16x1 having 16/20 lines, you can tell your motherboard to split them across PCIe16x2 or the M.2_2 port in our case. I have mine pretty much all maxed out with 2 video cards and 2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's.

PCIe 4.0 is why I waited for the z590/11900k and it was worth the wait. This build can handle anything I've thrown at it and I still haven't even OC'd my CPU. I haven't bench marked the drives in Big Sur but I have in Windows and hit 6500/5000 mbps read/write which is amazing.

See Dortania status report on z590.

Well worth a read for anyone interested in z590.

Disappointingly, Rocket Lake is reported to be an outlier...

Intel Z590 compatibility with macOS

//RKL IGPU is unsupported and will likely never be. Booting with RKL IGPU enabled with or without connectors results in boot failure (black screen). Can be disabled by WEG in macOS exclusively through injecting disable-gpu into an IGPU device. This can let other systems use IGPU acceleration to off-load tasks.//

//By default USB audio will cause macOS to immediately wake after sleep. The fix is explained in the USB section below. ... To workaround this immediate S3 wake issue caused the audio controller the USB port it is connected to (commonly HS02 on ASUS, yet can easily be found in the I/O Registry) needs to be given an internal type via the USB port plist kext (UsbConnector → 255). Afterwards the board should sleep just fine. To resolve the issue with USB wake not lighting the screen USBWakeFixup is still needed.//

Ah-ha!

———

My experience with and Asus Hero VIII, Comet Lake i9-10900K, and W5700 Pro is 98.5% positive. I'm lucky, maybe, to have this build work with expected performance and very manageable compromises. I'm super happy with my config. Anyway, read the informative report.

Very interesting assessment. I'm going to hope they are wrong and that Apple will eventually support it but who knows. I haven't had any booting/black screen issues with my Rocket Lake yet but I also have it spoofed to a Comet Lake.

I don't use sleep really but that's a good find and good to know!

This is actually my first build using OpenCore and I have to agree that the Dortania guide is amazing, much kudos to them for putting the time into building that for the public. I came from Clover and I find the boot menu of Clover to be more aesthetically pleasing but the OpenCore platform is much cleaner under the hood. I haven't used HackinTool a whole bunch myself but its an awesome piece of software so I'm looking forward to using it more. I agree that it seems more like a window "behind-the-scenes" utility rather than some magic tool, which is awesome for Hackintosh efforts.

So I have my CPU spoofed to a Comet Lake processor (EB060900) and Hackintool shows that my framebuffer/iGPU is a Coffee Lake-Iris 655, I'm assuming they are connected because I never manually set the framebuffer.

I've actually heard that about the 20,2 SMBIOS which is why I went with that one vs 19,1/20,1 as I'm using an RX 580 and gave up on trying to figure out trying to get the iGPU to fully work.

Yeah I'm not fully sure why the 0704 BIOS didn't work for me but I wasn't able to have my system online for more than 5-10 minutes before it locked up and rebooted. I would think its related to the Rocket Lake 11900k so thankfully downgrading to 0605 has been working perfectly for me. I'll wait until the next revision comes out and try again. Overall I'm very happy with the Asus board vs any of the others though. I came from a 4790k/Asus Maximus Hero VII so this was a pretty big upgrade for me. It's unfortunate that the wireless/bluetooth don't fully work yet but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

So PCIe bifurcation is basically the sharing of the available PCIe lanes across multiple ports, to put it simply. So instead of PCIe16x1 having 16/20 lines, you can tell your motherboard to split them across PCIe16x2 or the M.2_2 port in our case. I have mine pretty much all maxed out with 2 video cards and 2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's.

PCIe 4.0 is why I waited for the z590/11900k and it was worth the wait. This build can handle anything I've thrown at it and I still haven't even OC'd my CPU. I haven't bench marked the drives in Big Sur but I have in Windows and hit 6500/5000 mbps read/write which is amazing.

Very interesting assessment. I'm going to hope they are wrong and that Apple will eventually support it but who knows. I haven't had any booting/black screen issues with my Rocket Lake yet but I also have it spoofed to a Comet Lake.

I don't use sleep really but that's a good find and good to know!
Unfortunately, the USB audio connector tweak didn't fix the instant wake after sleep for me...

FYI any further comments I have, if any, will be over at z490/z590 thread.

Good luck!

- SMBIOS:
- Framebuffer:
- BIOS lane assignments:
*ADVANCED -​
- Overclocking:

Outstanding issues:
Notes:

Veranci,

I have fully working Intel AX201 WiFi with the OpenIntelWireless. Download the itlwm driver from last September.
Use that with the Heliport app, and add an Ethernet en0 or en2 port in Preferences to get it to work.

Incidentally I've also got working Intel 2.5GBe as well as Aquantia 10GBe ports on Big Sur.
My latest EFI files are here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/post-2247071

The only issue I'm having is my new i9-11900K doesn't do VDA decoding so well as yours at the moment. Did you disable your GTX1080 to do so by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back