Contribute
Register

Asus Z87 Gryphon with 4 dimm = dram led error

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, im still waiting for a replacement.

Well it seems I wont be resurrecting this build after all. The supplier contacted me today to say they had issues with using 4 ram sticks too and are sending their boards back to Asus for diagnostics/whatever. They have refunded my cash.

Had another look this morning and the number of remaining UK suppliers is dwindling fast.

:|

Well it seems I wont be resurrecting this build after all. The supplier contacted me today to say they had issues with using 4 ram sticks too and are sending their boards back to Asus for diagnostics/whatever. They have refunded my cash.

Had another look this morning and the number of remaining UK suppliers is dwindling fast.

:|

Oh dear. That's bad news. I will need to take my issue directly to Asus unfortunately. Hopefully they actually do know of a fix and are able to replace it with a working board or replace it with a different model.

Dang.

Oh dear. That's bad news. I will need to take my issue directly to Asus unfortunately. Hopefully they actually do know of a fix and are able to replace it with a working board or replace it with a different model.

Dang.

I've just been looking round and found one last supplier with the C2 version still in stock, so Ive ordered that.

Fantastic, let me know how it goes for you.

FYI, the supplier Ive just returned the board to contacted Asus and they instructed them to refund the board straight away. I think this issue is definitely known about by Asus.

The one I receive tomorrow will be the third gryphon board (1 x C1 and 2 x C2 revisions). I just hope it works as expected this time. If not, I'll have to rethink the entire build.

FYI, the supplier Ive just returned the board to contacted Asus and they instructed them to refund the board straight away. I think this issue is definitely known about by Asus.

The one I receive tomorrow will be the third gryphon board (1 x C1 and 2 x C2 revisions). I just hope it works as expected this time. If not, I'll have to rethink the entire build.

Thanks, that's good information for me to give to Asus, hopefully they just own up to it.

Thanks, that's good information for me to give to Asus, hopefully they just own up to it.

I dont know if this is a manufacturing issue as such or something else. We know the haswell memory controller is more picky/delicate than previous generations. They must be having a rough time with returns either way though.

Ok, a little update here.

Received the new board this morning from a different supplier. First thing I did was check the serial number, which was when my heart sunk. It was almost identical to the one I have returned, like so:

xxxxxxxxxx48 - Old board

xxxxxxxxxx50 - New board

That was almost too close for comfort. What are the odds of getting such close serial numbers for the same item from 2 different suppliers ? Only other thing I can think of is that the serial numbers are actually batch numbers of some kind, but I have no way to verify that.

Anyway, Ive stuck the bare board in the case with absolute minimum hardware as usual. The bios version on the board was 1707. To my surprise it booted up first time with 4 sticks of ram inserted (Corsair Vengeance Pro, see below) and went straight to the bios setup as expected. A good sign so far then!

Next up was to bump the bios version to the latest one (2004) and then reboot; still everything works fine.

Next I've swapped out that ram for my favourite modules right now, which are G.Skill 2133. Again everything works just fine with all 4 sticks in there and XMP selected.

Last thing for now is a quick run of the latest version of memtest86. I stopped it short actually at around 95% of a full test run, and not a single error reported.

All the signs so far are positive then :thumbup:

The next plan is to do some more in depth testing with several memory sets, of which there are four in total, each comprising 4 sticks :

Corsair Vengeance Pro Series, 1866, Part No : CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 (4 x 8Gb)

Corsair Vengeance LP, 1600, Part No : CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (4 x 4Gb) - 1.35v

G.Skill Ripjaws, 2133, Part No : F3-2133C9D-16GXH (4 x 8Gb)

Kingston HyperX, 1600, Part No : KHX1600C9D3X2K2 (4 x 4Gb)

Early indications then are good so far.

Next part of the plan is to fully install the board together with the armor kit which I already had, and all of the intended hardware for the build, followed by more testing.

I'll be doing a full single test run of the Corsair and Kingston ram sets, followed by an overnight run of the G.Skill, which is the intended ram for this build.

:thumbup:

Ok, a little update here.

Received the new board this morning from a different supplier. First thing I did was check the serial number, which was when my heart sunk. It was almost identical to the one I have returned, like so:

xxxxxxxxxx48 - Old board

xxxxxxxxxx50 - New board

That was almost too close for comfort. What are the odds of getting such close serial numbers for the same item from 2 different suppliers ? Only other thing I can think of is that the serial numbers are actually batch numbers of some kind, but I have no way to verify that.

Anyway, Ive stuck the bare board in the case with absolute minimum hardware as usual. The bios version on the board was 1707. To my surprise it booted up first time with 4 sticks of ram inserted (Corsair Vengeance Pro, see below) and went straight to the bios setup as expected. A good sign so far then!

Next up was to bump the bios version to the latest one (2004) and then reboot; still everything works fine.

Next I've swapped out that ram for my favourite modules right now, which are G.Skill 2133. Again everything works just fine with all 4 sticks in there and XMP selected.

Last thing for now is a quick run of the latest version of memtest86. I stopped it short actually at around 95% of a full test run, and not a single error reported.

All the signs so far are positive then :thumbup:

The next plan is to do some more in depth testing with several memory sets, of which there are four in total, each comprising 4 sticks :

Corsair Vengeance Pro Series, 1866, Part No : CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 (4 x 8Gb)

Corsair Vengeance LP, 1600, Part No : CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (4 x 4Gb) - 1.35v

G.Skill Ripjaws, 2133, Part No : F3-2133C9D-16GXH (4 x 8Gb)

Kingston HyperX, 1600, Part No : KHX1600C9D3X2K2 (4 x 4Gb)

Early indications then are good so far.

Next part of the plan is to fully install the board together with the armor kit which I already had, and all of the intended hardware for the build, followed by more testing.

I'll be doing a full single test run of the Corsair and Kingston ram sets, followed by an overnight run of the G.Skill, which is the intended ram for this build.

Whaaaaaaat!? Fantastic news. I'll check the serial number on my board and start the RMA process again with Asus then. Thanks for the update.

Whaaaaaaat!? Fantastic news. I'll check the serial number on my board and start the RMA process again with Asus then. Thanks for the update.

If you're in UK and interested, this is the link to the exact one I got. It is C2 version as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back