Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello! I used this guide to install MacOS on ProArt Z690 + 12400F + RX570. In general, everything works, including graphics and built-in Wi-Fi via Airportitlwm. However, there are several serious problems:

1. None of the included SSDTs can make all USB-A ports on the motherboard work. Even HS01, HS02 do not work, so I have to use HS07, HS08 for the mouse and keyboard, which is inconvenient, but I don’t know which way to go to fix it yet.

2. Sleep mode does not work. When going into sleep mode, the screen immediately turns off, but the computer goes into sleep for another 5-7 minutes (I can see this from the coolers/rgb backlight). After this wait, the computer goes to sleep. Then, when I press the keyboard, the computer begins to wake up (the monitor backlight and coolers turn on), but the image does not appear on the monitor. The only way to get out of this state is through a hard reset, which is very annoying. Unfortunately, I didn’t find a way to find any logs after a hard reset, so I also don’t know where to go next.

I would be glad to receive any advice! Thanks!

Hello.

Did you modify the supplied EFI folders in any way?

If so ZIP the one you are using and attach it to a post (after first blanking your serial-number).

:)

@alpineroot,

Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which version of OpenCore?
  • Which version of BIOS?
  • Was macOS installed fresh, or was it migrated from a previous system?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor or a television?
  • If you're using a non-Thunderbolt computer monitor, are you using HDMI-to-HDMI or DP-to-DP (no video adapters in the signal path)?
  • Are there any Corsair smart devices installed (iCue, etc.)?
  • Are you using a 15-port USB SSDT or an ALL-PORTS USB SSDT?
    • Posting a screenshot of the following will help:
      • OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI
      • OpenCore Configurator -> Kernel

Hello.

Did you modify the supplied EFI folders in any way?

If so ZIP the one you are using and attach it to a post (after first blanking your serial-number).

:)
@alpineroot,

Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which version of OpenCore?
  • Which version of BIOS?
  • Was macOS installed fresh, or was it migrated from a previous system?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor or a television?
  • If you're using a non-Thunderbolt computer monitor, are you using HDMI-to-HDMI or DP-to-DP (no video adapters in the signal path)?
  • Are there any Corsair smart devices installed (iCue, etc.)?
  • Are you using a 15-port USB SSDT or an ALL-PORTS USB SSDT?
    • Posting a screenshot of the following will help:
      • OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI
      • OpenCore Configurator -> Kernel

Hi! Thanks for your replies!
I remade my SSDT from scratch and it seems the problem with the USB ports has been fixed - now all works as I wanted to.

I didn’t need any Type-C ports, so my custom version uses only HS01/SS01, HS02/SS02, HS03/SS03, HS04/SS04, HS05/SS05 (all USB-A ports on the back, except BIOS Flashback), HS07/SS07 + HS08/SS08 (front panel USB on my PC case) + HS14 for internal BT/Wi-Fi, a total of 15 ports, so XhciPortLimit is disabled.

In the archive I named my file: SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-CUSTOM

In addition, the archive contains the file SSDT-GPU-DISABLE - this is my own SSDT, which disables the Nvidia GPU (since I have 2 video cards - RX 570 in the first slot, RTX 2060 in the second).

The remaining attached files are enabled in OpenCore, but are taken from the guide and have not been edited.

The only problem left is with sleep mode, nothing has changed from previous post.

Additional info:
I’m using OpenCore 0.9.5 with macOS Ventura 13.5.2.
BIOS Ver. 1403
macOS is fresh installed
I'm not using any Thunderbolt ports, monitor is connected to PC via HDMI <-> HDMI port on RX 570.
No Corsair devices installed.

I also attach screenshots of OpenCore Configurator.

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24-ACPI.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24-ACPI.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24-Kernel.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24-Kernel.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Hi! Thanks for your replies!
I remade my SSDT from scratch and it seems the problem with the USB ports has been fixed - now all works as I wanted to.

I didn’t need any Type-C ports, so my custom version uses only HS01/SS01, HS02/SS02, HS03/SS03, HS04/SS04, HS05/SS05 (all USB-A ports on the back, except BIOS Flashback), HS07/SS07 + HS08/SS08 (front panel USB on my PC case) + HS14 for internal BT/Wi-Fi, a total of 15 ports, so XhciPortLimit is disabled.

In the archive I named my file: SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-CUSTOM

In addition, the archive contains the file SSDT-GPU-DISABLE - this is my own SSDT, which disables the Nvidia GPU (since I have 2 video cards - RX 570 in the first slot, RTX 2060 in the second).

The remaining attached files are enabled in OpenCore, but are taken from the guide and have not been edited.

The only problem left is with sleep mode, nothing has changed from previous post.

Additional info:
I’m using OpenCore 0.9.5 with macOS Ventura 13.5.2.
BIOS Ver. 1403
macOS is fresh installed
I'm not using any Thunderbolt ports, monitor is connected to PC via HDMI <-> HDMI port on RX 570.
No Corsair devices installed.

I also attach screenshots of OpenCore Configurator.
Two suggestions:
  1. Try the attached USB SSDT. If sleep problem persists then try item 2 (but keep the new USB SSDT installed)
  2. Shutdown the computer and flip power switch on PSU to OFF (necessary); then detach all VGA power cables running to your Nvidia GPU (okay to keep card installed); now flip power back on and boot computer; does computer sleep and wake?

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-CUSTOM.aml
    709 bytes · Views: 3
i tried searching this thread and saw a device id that i manually added to config.plist but it wasn't 0x73FF, it was 78140000 as per opencore configurator screenshot

i put my old rx 570 back in and it's working instantly and so far really well with ventura.. i'll try again soon :)

--edit--
i tried to follow a youtube video how to spoof 6650xt, creating an aml, linking with config.plist, using FF73000 in device-id, pikera too, and still the same result, won't boot into macos ventura
For me to check the SSDT, please post the following two files:
  • The SSDT (.aml file) you created
  • Output of IORegistryExplorer (File -> Save As...)
Is this for your Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH or your Asus Z690 ProArt Creator?

Two suggestions:
  1. Try the attached USB SSDT. If sleep problem persists then try item 2 (but keep the new USB SSDT installed)
  2. Shutdown the computer and flip power switch on PSU to OFF (necessary); then detach all VGA power cables running to your Nvidia GPU (okay to keep card installed); now flip power back on and boot computer; does computer sleep and wake?

Replacing the SSDT didn't work, so I physically unplugged the nvidia card, aaaand... it worked! PC goes to sleep and comes back without any problems.

Could there be something wrong with my SSDT to disable GPU? Are there any alternative ways to disable the PCI slot, maybe somewhere at the OpenCore level?

But this is already a great success, thanks for your help!

Replacing the SSDT didn't work, so I physically unplugged the nvidia card, aaaand... it worked! PC goes to sleep and comes back without any problems.

Could there be something wrong with my SSDT to disable GPU? Are there any alternative ways to disable the PCI slot, maybe somewhere at the OpenCore level?

But this is already a great success, thanks for your help!
make sure your SSDT is setup correctly, ie:

make sure your SSDT is setup correctly, ie:
Finally it works!
Followed a simpler guide and found the correct ACPI path using Windows: https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Desktops/desktop-disable.html
Then I fixed my SSDT, now macOS does not see the Nvidia card and sleep mode works as intended.

Thank you all very much for your help!
I didn’t think that I could solve all the problems in one day :)

For me to check the SSDT, please post the following two files:
  • The SSDT (.aml file) you created
  • Output of IORegistryExplorer (File -> Save As...)
Is this for your Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH or your Asus Z690 ProArt Creator?
seems the card isn't working with windows either, i'm going to return it.. i think i'll get a 6600 XT instead to save me from worrying about the 6650 tweaks, and you won't have to waste time helping me haha

thanks for all your help, as always!!

ps - did you happen to get handoff or airdrop to work with ventura or later? i miss it so much, haha.. was seriously contemplating on reverting everything back to big sur today, but i decided to not look back because ventura does seem to run better and lots of new software won't work on big sur :)

happy holidays to you and everyone!!

seems the card isn't working with windows either, i'm going to return it.. i think i'll get a 6600 XT instead to save me from worrying about the 6650 tweaks, and you won't have to waste time helping me haha
That's odd -- the 6650 XT should work natively in Windows as long as the VGA power cable is connected. It is a good card, but I don't blame you for preferring the 6600 XT for plug-and-play compatibiity with macOS.

ps - did you happen to get handoff or airdrop to work with ventura or later? i miss it so much, haha.. was seriously contemplating on reverting everything back to big sur today, but i decided to not look back because ventura does seem to run better and lots of new software won't work on big sur :)
I tried the OCLP patch, but did not like the security compromises and patched kernel. So I've removed OCLP patch from all of my systems. For AirDrop I decided to use a workaround (because I could :)):
  • I have a self-built NAS running TrueNAS Scale that supports containers (like most all NAS operating systems do)
  • On the NAS I've installed NextCloud that is like a private version of DropBox or iCloud
  • On every Hackintosh I've installed the macOS NextCloud app that also acts like a DropBox app (from the menu bar)
  • On every iOS device I've installed the iOS NextCloud app
  • Whenever I need to "air drop" something from iOS to macOS or vice-versa, I simply upload the file to the local NextCloud app, which is very easy and convenient to do
  • The file (or files) then appear very quickly on all other devices running NextCloud
  • This runs entirely on the home network and none of the files is ever transmitted to a remote server
The entire thing is documented here:

happy holidays to you and everyone!!
Happy holidays!

Back