Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Yes, simply replace all occurrences of RP05 with RP09.

Use the former: "z690 Platform". I've made the changes for you in attached SSDT. It is necessary to use both of the SSDTs attached here.

Hi,CaseySJ,

I just installed a flashed Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt card via M2 to PCIE.

Everything works except the following issues. I found startup got stuck on ASUS logo screen around 1 min for further loading. After apple logo screen disappears, it will turn to 20-30sec’s black to get displays come up. This also happens in the wakeup from sleep.

If I disable the onboard thunderbolt in the bios, the ASUS logo screen will just pass through, but the bootup and wakeup balck screen issue still exit.

I had two LG 5K monitors. One is connected over thunderbolt (with Titan Ridge two dp-in)to get 60hz 5k, the other is through USB-C (non Thunderbolt) cable at the custom timing of 39hz to get 5k.

Any advice about these problems? I have attached the config and IORegistryExplorer files.

My system is:

OpenCore 0.9.5 with macOS Ventura 14.1.1 OCLP.
BIOS Ver. 2802
MacOS is fresh installed
No Corsair devices installed.

Happy holidays to you and everyone!!

Attachments

• 截屏2023-12-25 10.34.51.png
    截屏2023-12-25 10.34.51.png
    940.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi,CaseySJ,

I just installed a flashed Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt card via M2 to PCIE.

Everything works except the following issues. I found startup got stuck on ASUS logo screen around 1 min for further loading. After apple logo screen disappears, it will turn to 20-30sec’s black to get displays come up. This also happens in the wakeup from sleep.

If I disable the onboard thunderbolt in the bios, the ASUS logo screen will just pass through, but the bootup and wakeup balck screen issue still exit.

I had two LG 5K monitors. One is connected over thunderbolt (with Titan Ridge two dp-in)to get 60hz 5k, the other is through USB-C (non Thunderbolt) cable at the custom timing of 39hz to get 5k.

Any advice about these problems? I have attached the config and IORegistryExplorer files.

My system is:

BIOS Ver. 2802
MacOS is fresh installed

Happy holidays to you and everyone!!
Hello @ianccc,

Even though I discourage the use of Thunderbolt monitors and warn users about the issues that often arise, I can at least try to help you with the Thunderbolt-related long boot issue.

We discovered this issue years ago in the Designare Z390 thread and provided a guide for fixing it via an ACPI patch. The procedure can be a bit tricky. I can take a look at it, but I will need your motherboard's DSDT.aml

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 11.00.28 AM.png

Additionally, you will need a second Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT for the 2nd Thunderbolt controller. This SSDT needs to set a unique Thunderbolt Bus ID and a unique Thunderbolt UID in the Thunderbolt DROM. It also needs to conform to PC00.PEG0.PEGP.

Do you know how to make these changes? If not, then try the attached SSDT, reboot and post screenshot of IORegistryExplorer (PEG0.PEGP section).

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-PEG0-PEGP.aml
    2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That's odd -- the 6650 XT should work natively in Windows as long as the VGA power cable is connected. It is a good card, but I don't blame you for preferring the 6600 XT for plug-and-play compatibiity with macOS.

I tried the OCLP patch, but did not like the security compromises and patched kernel. So I've removed OCLP patch from all of my systems. For AirDrop I decided to use a workaround (because I could :)):
  • I have a self-built NAS running TrueNAS Scale that supports containers (like most all NAS operating systems do)
  • On the NAS I've installed NextCloud that is like a private version of DropBox or iCloud
  • On every Hackintosh I've installed the macOS NextCloud app that also acts like a DropBox app (from the menu bar)
  • On every iOS device I've installed the iOS NextCloud app
  • Whenever I need to "air drop" something from iOS to macOS or vice-versa, I simply upload the file to the local NextCloud app, which is very easy and convenient to do
  • The file (or files) then appear very quickly on all other devices running NextCloud
  • This runs entirely on the home network and none of the files is ever transmitted to a remote server
The entire thing is documented here:

Happy holidays!
Ya, I know, right? The card was definitely powered. It was cheaper than a lot of places, and it might have been rebuilt or something. I'm not sure.
But I found a Sapphire 6600 XT for similar pricing. So wish me luck. haha.

As for the OCLP, I'm using that on my

I've heard of nextcloud, and I've used owncloud in the past. But I actually wanted my files to be available online and my webhost, at the time, disagreed, haha.. I don't blame them, even though I wasn't using large files, lol.. Oh well.

I will look into this, thanks!

I also attached the IOREG copy. Pls help me out. Have no clue how to do that. By the way, I have tried with or without the 5K monitor in Windows 11 or Ventura. The same stuck on the ASUS logo Screen if I turn on the onboard Thunderbolt. Thanks a million.

Attachments

• 截屏2023-12-26 04.34.13.png
    截屏2023-12-26 04.34.13.png
    496.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 截屏2023-12-26 04.34.52.png
    截屏2023-12-26 04.34.52.png
    414.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSDT.aml
    558.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IANMac.ioreg
    26.2 MB · Views: 3
I also attached the IOREG copy.Pls help me out. Have no clue how to do that. By the way. I have tried with or without the 5K monitor in Windows 11 or Ventura. The same stuck on the ASUS logo Screen if I turn on the onboard Thunderbolt.Thanks a million.
The previous hot-plug SSDT that I posted is not correct so please replace it with the new version attached here.

Regarding the long boot problem, the DSDT does not contain the information I was looking for. So please do this:
  • Run maciASL
  • From File menu select Export Tableset...
  • Post that file
    Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 4.39.29 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-PEG0-PEGP.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The previous hot-plug SSDT that I posted is not correct so please replace it with the new version attached here.

I'll examine the DSDT.aml soon.
Thanks so much. Should the original "SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml" still be enable? Actually I can live with only two Titan-Ridge Thunderbolts. If I turn off the Maple-Ridge in BIOS, I find out these two ports will be unavailable as normal type-c. Is there a way I can still use these two USB?

Thanks so much. Should the original "SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml" still be enable? Actually I can live with only two Titan-Ridge Thunderbolts. If I turn off the Maple-Ridge in BIOS, I find out these two ports will be unavailable as normal type-c. Is there a way I can still use these two USB?
Both of the SSDTs should be enabled.

Sorry to bother you again, CaseySJ.
Suddenly I lost the Ethernet and wireless. In the beginning, I guess it might be OCLP crash in Sonoma. So I reinstalled a fresh Ventura, first it worked fine. After a long wakeup from sleep, I encountered the same problem. What I tried the following three method from your guide,also reset BIOS and NVRAM。 None of those work.
1:Jul 30, 2023, Add boot argument e1000=0 and AppleIGC.kext
2: Dec 04,2023,Native macOS driver requires AppleVTD to be enabled
3: Jul 21, 2022old procedure

I found macOS did not recognize the Ethernet port. The wifi can work in the case of disabling the onboard thunderbolt in bios. Any suggestion? I attached the ACPI file.

PS: Hot-plugging does work. I also attached the ACPI file for the Long boot issue. Really appreciate that.

Attachments

• config.plist
    36.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IANMACPRO.ioreg
    26.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IANMACPRO's.acpi
    738.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sorry to bother you again, CaseySJ.
Suddenly I lost the ethernet and wireless. In the beginning, I guess it might be OCLP crash in Sonoma. So I reinstalled a fresh Ventura, first it worked fine. After a long wakeup from sleep, I encountered the same problem. What I tried the following three method from your guide,also reset bios and nvam。 None of those work.
1:Jul 30, 2023, Add boot argument e1000=0 and AppleIGC.kext
2: Dec 04,2023,Native macOS driver requires AppleVTD to be enabled
3: Jul 21, 2022old procedure

I found macOS did not recognize the Ethernet port. The wifi can work in the case of disabling the onboard thunderbolt in bios. Any suggestion? I attached the acpi file

PS: Hot-plugging does work.I also attached the acpi file for the Loog boot issue. Really appreciate that.

Regarding boot delay with Thunderbolt enabled:

Does the boot delay occur if Internal Thunderbolt is disabled in BIOS? It is okay to disable internal Thunderbolt and just use the GC-Titan Ridge. In this case, simply disable or uncheck the other hot-plug SSDT as shown:
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 8.40.51 AM.png

If the boot delay still occurs, try the following ACPI patch (no guarantees this will work -- it has not been tested):
  • Table Signature: DSDT
  • Find: 4F535953 A03E5B12 5C445446 5300A034 93445446 53015B23 4F53554D FFFFA018 5B125C2E 5F475045 4454494E 005C2E5F 47504544 54494E5B
  • Replace: 4F535953 A03E5B12 5C445446 5300A034 93445446 53015B23 4F53554D FFFFA3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3
  • Comment: Bypass Thunderbolt Boot Delay
  • Count: 1
  • Enabled: True
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 8.26.47 AM.png

Regarding the WiFi and Ethernet issues:

In a previous post you listed your configuration as follows:
My system is:

BIOS Ver. 2802
MacOS is fresh installed
Ventura is actually 13.x.x, but Sonoma is 14.x.x. I think you meant Sonoma because OCLP appears on the same line. I do not recommend the OCLP patch because it has not been very reliable in my own experience. For technical support on OCLP, please refer to the OCLP GitHub site. There may be an "Issues" page where problems can be reported.

Ethernet:
If it works when on-board Thunderbolt is disabled, then it may be a BIOS issue. You may want to consider keeping on-board Thunderbolt disabled even though you will lose two USB-C ports. However, because the GC-Titan Ridge is working, consider a Thunderbolt dock that provides additional USB-C ports and Thunderbolt daisy-chain port for one of the Thunderbolt monitors.

Last edited:
Both of the SSDTs should be enabled.

Regarding boot delay with Thunderbolt enabled:

Does the boot delay occur if Internal Thunderbolt is disabled in BIOS? It is okay to disable internal Thunderbolt and just use the GC-Titan Ridge. In this case, simply disable or uncheck the other hot-plug SSDT as shown:
View attachment 576426

If the boot delay still occurs, try the following ACPI patch (no guarantees this will work -- it has not been tested):
  • Table Signature: DSDT
  • Find: 4F535953 A03E5B12 5C445446 5300A034 93445446 53015B23 4F53554D FFFFA018 5B125C2E 5F475045 4454494E 005C2E5F 47504544 54494E5B
  • Replace: 4F535953 A03E5B12 5C445446 5300A034 93445446 53015B23 4F53554D FFFFA3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3
  • Comment: Bypass Thunderbolt Boot Delay
  • Count: 1
  • Enabled: True
View attachment 576425

Regarding the WiFi and Ethernet issues:

In a previous post you listed your configuration as follows:

Ventura is actually 13.x.x, but Sonoma is 14.x.x. I think you meant Sonoma because OCLP appears on the same line. I do not recommend the OCLP patch because it has not been very reliable in my own experience. For technical support on OCLP, please refer to the OCLP GitHub site. There may be an "Issues" page where problems can be reported.

Ethernet:
If it works when on-board Thunderbolt is disabled, then it may be a BIOS issue. You may want to consider keeping on-board Thunderbolt disabled even though you will lose two USB-C ports. However, because the GC-Titan Ridge is working, consider a Thunderbolt dock that provides additional USB-C ports and Thunderbolt daisy-chain port for one of the Thunderbolt monitors.

Thanks for your hard work, Genius.

1. It does speed up after the apple logo. Unfortunately it does not work for the ASUS logo Screen stuck. I can live with it just disable the internal Thunderbolt.

2. Regarding the OS, yesterday it was Sonoma with OCLP. Because the network clashed so I chose to install Ventura. It turn out the same network clashed. Anyway, I have figure out why the network failure.For wireless, just disable the internal Thunderbolt, it will be fine. For ethernet, it was miserable. I confirmed the ethernet in BIOS was on, even restored bios to default several times. So I checked everything like Cable, Kernel, Router,Opencore, Thunderbolt, OS and so on. It all turn out failure. Never thought it was the BIOS problem. Just switch the ethernet off, reboot and switch it on. That's done. It is so wierd. (Write it down for someone might encounter that problem.)

Many thanks to CaseySJ again, have a good day!!

Back