Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @echosat1

I noticed you have pretty much the same hardware as me, and I am still struggling to even boot off the USB key...
Would you be so kind as to post your EFI so I can have a look and understand why my config is not working ?

Regarding the need to feed both DP inputs from the GPU, what was happening if you fed only one (DP in 2) ?
In any case, thanks for sharing all your findings regarding dual boots & Apple Display Studio. I am pretty sure this will be useful when I reach that step.

As for setting the brightness of the Apple Studio Display on Windows side, if you did not see it yet, you might be interested in this topic
> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-studio-display-windows-compatibility.2338993/

There is now an utility to adjust it without BootCamp drivers.

Hello @gemini44,

What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt 3 dock?

Most Thunderbolt 3 docks should work when connected and powered before boot.

What are the Thunderbolt settings in BIOS? You can press F12 in BIOS to capture screenshot. It will be saved to EFI partition.
Sorry for late. My TB3 dock is Belkin express dock hd. I borrowed a TB4 dock (qgeem TB4 dock) to try. Same problem with it. I'm using "SSDT-TB4-EX.aml" for TB. I attached my TB's & USB settings. The problem is that the pc does not see the TB dock even though the device is plugged in, no matter hot or cold boot :(. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 230619044512.png
    230619044512.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 230619044517.png
    230619044517.png
    353.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 230619044520.png
    230619044520.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 14.06.31.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 14.06.31.png
    812.4 KB · Views: 19
Soo, predictably the worry about the ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi Motherboard I bought not being available has come true (I'm so beyond annoyed at websites listing things for sale that they don't have); is it worth me giving in and going for the Z790, or should I try to find the Z690 somewhere else? What's the confidence level that the Z790 is going to work for the hackintosh build? I've read through the posts and I'm not quite sure. I've literally bought and received every other part I needed, it's just the motherboard left now. :(

Last edited:
is it worth me giving in and going for the Z790, or should I try to find the Z690 somewhere else?
If you buy open box at Newegg it should be good as new. You always have return/refund rights if anything is wrong. I'd say it's worth a chance. Looks like 3rd party sellers are jacking up the price almost double the normal retail. I would go with the open box and fully test it out. Saves a lot of money.

Last edited:

If you buy open box at Newegg it should be good as new. You always have return/refund rights if anything is wrong. I'd say it's worth a chance.
Thanks for the link and the fast response, I really appreciate it. But it's worth stating that I live in the UK; it doesn't appear I can purchase it from there in that case.
I just phoned another UK shop that had it listed on their website, and predictably they also don't actually have any.
It's starting to look like the Z790 is my only option, the Z690 is discontinued and companies are just slow to update their online shops

How about this on Ebay UK ? Shipping looks reasonable. Ebay does have buyer protection too. All 3rd party resellers raise the price up on new unused boards. Just the way it is once out of production.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and the fast response, I really appreciate it. But it's worth stating that I live in the UK; it doesn't appear I can purchase it from there in that case.
I just phoned another UK shop that had it listed on their website, and predictably they also don't actually have any.
It's starting to look like the Z790 is my only option, the Z690 is discontinued and companies are just slow to update their online shops

Hi there.

(Good find @trs96 :thumbup: )

Here in the UK we never get the full breadth of components they do in the US, so finding a previous gen motherboard can be tricky.

If you specifically want or need to follow this build thread, then options are limited. The Ebay UK find above looks a possibility. A Z790 or going further away from the 400-series - the last officially supported by Apple - will always get trickier. But there are always people willing to trail-blaze. For example a 500-series, though close, still provides obstacles.

If you are more flexible, check other Golden Builds that match your needs and then go looking for those parts.

:)

Hi, my thanks to both of you. After slightly panicking and a tense few minutes of internal debate, I decided to take the risk and buy the Z690 from that Danish eBay seller. Lets hope it turns up in good condition (they claimed it wasn't opened/used, I really hope that's true).
Then I'll have all my parts and the real fun will begin ;)

@CaseySJ
I am having some USB disconnection problems, can you help me finding out what's going on?
  • If I run my hack on Ultrafine 5k via Caldigit TS3+, without Fenvi card installed, everything is fine
  • If I run Fenvi card without 5k monitor, everything is fine
  • If I run Fenvi + 5k monitor, I just a notification in BTT (BetterTouchTool) which notifies me after a couple of minutes upon boot that some USB devices disconnect
Is there some conflict between USB devices onboard of the 5k monitor and the Fenvi card? How can I find our exactly what's happening and, maybe, fix it please?

Thank you

Back