Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I just assembled the Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR5 motherboard and tested the Intel BT/WiFi. The WiFi driver is working fine, but even though the Bluetooth driver is installed, it still cannot detect any Bluetooth devices.
I can test the new driver later today.

Is the 2.2.0 stable version kext allowing full 11ac speeds now?
Yes it should support 160MHz 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) speed. But Wi-Fi 6 is most likely not supported yet. I’ll check later this afternoon.

I just assembled the Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR5 motherboard and tested the Intel BT/WiFi. The WiFi driver is working fine, but even though the Bluetooth driver is installed, it still cannot detect any Bluetooth devices.
One more comment on this:
  • The Intel Bluetooth driver is completely separate from the Wi-Fi driver
  • Bluetooth is governed by IntelBluetoothFirmwre
  • Wi-Fi is governed by AirportItlwm

Doesn't work on the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211(Gig+) think Ile try the itlwm way later.

** Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi both Working in Ventura 13.5 **

The OpenIntelWireless drivers are working once again in Ventura. Please follow these guidelines:

Wi-Fi:
  • Download and install the latest 2.2.0 Stable version of AirportItlwm from here
  • For Ventura, set MinKernel to 22.0.0 and MaxKernel to 22.99.99
  • Wi-Fi 6 is not supported, unfortunately
  • I tested with Fenvi FV-AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 card (device ID 0x2723, vendor ID 0x8086)
Bluetooth:
  • Follow every step listed in @tonymacx86's post located here
  • The correct version of BlueToolFixup.kext is located in the post itself; simply download it from there
  • Be sure to add the two NVRAM entries as described in that post
  • After rebooting, Reset NVRAM (also mentioned in the post) by pressing SPACE at the OpenCore Boot Menu and selecting Reset NVRAM on the right side

Last edited:
A good idea, will make for a cleaner looking build. The problem is that most people already have a case that won't work with these boards. Wonder if Asus will start selling cases with their name brand on them to custom fit these ?
Not a good idea to me. All my cases are from years ago and will not be able to accommodate this design. I certainly will not want to throw my old cases away as they are still perfectly usable.

@CaseySJ @SmackAttack @Azimuth1 @dehjomz @etorix @trs96

Appreciate everyone for the great feedback!

And yes, it makes sense to start a new buying guide thread for further discussion...but I feel like the experienced folks are so active in this thread :lol:

Anyway, my response below is for some of the questions some of you have.

3. I ended up going with TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert Overclocking 10L DDR5 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) 6000MHz - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPHSL93T/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 due to the cheaper price. I've seen someone using this in another successful build thread.
6 and 7. I think I will go with 6800XT since it's cheaper. My need is sort of still being defined, although I mentioned briefly above for occasional gaming (and photo/video editing whenever I get time).
8. I think I might be confused with the bootable backup and main bootable that was outlined in Step 11 (sorry information overload).
9. To maintain around 2K budget, I'm reconsidering to go with the 12th generation and go with gigabyte-z690-aero-g that was outlined in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/
11. It actually looks quite nice but on the pricey side. Also out of stock on Amazon for some of the one I looked at.

Really appreciate you for providing things I need to consider. Based on that I think I will scale back a bit since the original selection was overkill for what I'm doing. I'm reconsidering to go with the 12th generation and go with gigabyte-z690-aero-g.

I'm currently using Macbook Pro 2019 version with bootcamp for Windows. It has served me well but I normally need to turn down the setting for gaming otherwise it will lag.

My current Macbook Pro has 32GB of RAM, so for me 32GB is a minimum. I plan to build one with 64GB and maybe upgrade to 128GB if I think I will need more.

I'm using 4K monitor so the resolution hasn't tuned down when I game, partly to not to interfere when I need to minimize. Graphic setting has been tuned to low or medium so it doesn't lag.

Yes, I will wait for the WWDC keynote before committing. I'm just hoping Apple will support Windows on M chip at some point in the future, perhaps 3+ years down the road? With Microsoft support Windows in Parallel, it's a step in the right direction.

I'm trying not to deviate too much from the "golden build" but some of the MOBO from the golden builds are out of stocks. I just found out that the gigabyte-z690-aero-g is in stock again, so I will downgrade my build (to save cost) and then follow the guide from this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/

Nice, I will look into that. I'm way behind on the CPU tech.

So there are way too many things to consider and this isn't even the "hard" part. I think perhaps the harder part is trying to make the MacOS install work with the hardware and most stuff is still functional after the install.

Now I feel like I should go back to the original (and expensive) build :mrgreen: :p lol. Actually will definitely scale back. We're just about 1.5 weeks away from WWDC so let's see what they announce.

As a ASUS ProArt Z790 + Intel i5-13600K user (developer and casual gamer), I would suggest 13600K will be more than enough for most tasks. My previous build was Z390 + i9-9900K. I never overclocked, and this year's MOBO or CPU had a problem. So I decided to move on to new build. One problem with older generations is, if you in the coming years have any problem with the hardware, it will really hard to find older hardware to replace. So try to get the newest generation possible. You may think that buying the fastest one will make it future-proof, and it may be. But most probably you won't need it unless you are pretty sure that you will need it.

I also bought 5K Apple Studio Display with the new build ,and I have to say it's an incredible monitor compared to 4K, especially for macOS because of the native Retina scaling. Also, 1440p gaming is mind blowing on 5K (being the 2x of the 1440p, everything looks sharp on Windows). Instead of putting extra money on CPU, GPU and (RGB) RAM, invest in a 5K monitor like Apple Studio Display or Samsung Viewfinity S9 when it's released. 5K monitor is a game changer for developers and designers on macOS, as text looks incredible crisp, reading documentation, writing code and designing pixel perfect UIs give so much joy that no 4K monitor can give on macOS because of the scaling issues. (Read "Mac external displays for designers and developers, part 2" article on bjango.com for details)

Custom USB port mapping can be easily done on Windows with USBToolbox for Z790. Broadcom Bluetooth works mostly smoothly (macOS had some issues but they are being resolved in the latest updates). 32GB RAM would be more than enough, but if you have so many Docker containers running, if you are doing music production with many samples or rendering high resolution videos, then 64GB is not a bad idea either.

05 June 2023 - Asus ProArt Z690-Creator build updated using Hackindrom v2.1.8

1. OC 0.9.2 update was successful.
  2. Ventura 13.4 upgrade is successful.

Note:
- I did have some issues initially.
- I got the Ventura 13.4 Failed to Prepare Update error 2-3 times when I tried the update.
- I had to restart a few times. made sure other software updates (e.g., command-line tools) were completed first.

I'm really interested in using the guide for my hugely overdue hardware upgrade which I intend on doing this year (the tenth anniversary of my first Hackintosh build, most parts of which I'm mostly still using- having repeatedly postponed MacOS updates, naturally).
I'm currently still using the CPU, RAM, MoBo, SSD's, PSU & tower case from 2013... oh, and Blu-Ray drive. I'm really hoping I can build another top spec hackintosh, new 2023 parts, that can last another ten years-with good luck. That means 12th Gen Intel CPU (i9?) & DDR5 RAM on a compatible motherboard.
I want to mirror my current setup and have two SATA SSDs- one for Windows and one for MacOSX, Hopefully that's not an issue.
Does anyone know if I could (or couldn't) do this with my current graphics card- a Gigabyte AMD Radeon 5700 XT and PC case (Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 White ATX Mid Tower Case)?
My current PSU is a 650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+, but I'm already kind of assuming that'll need replacing as well.
I know I'll need new CPU (&cooler?), MoBo, RAM, SSD's, But I'd prefer to re-use the GFX & case at the least.
Oh, I'm also still using a Firewire 400 PCI card for my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface. I built this hackintosh for musical reasons, after all.

I've never used OpenCore before, just the Tonymacx86 Clover/Chimera/Multibeast stuff, so I'm going to read and re-read all the guides connected to this build as throughly as I can.
I'm very nervous about the prospect of this endevour, as you might imagine.

PS. I know that "RX 5000 series" was in the original post as being recommended, I'm hoping that's still true/accurate for mine.

Last edited:
@RetroRocker I use this build with a Sapphire RX5700xt pulse, works like a charm with agdpmod=pikera.

I'd personaly go for at least 850w, but I indeed used this build very briefly with a 650w, worked just fine. If you buy a new PSU make sure it is compatible with ATX3 and PCIe 5, just to be futurepoofed ;)

For your ssds, not a problem, I have a drive for macos, a second for windows 11, a third for a bootable backup of macos (mandatory in my opinion) and i'm pondering on adding a fourth just to play with linux distros.

I recommend reading all the pages of this thread, I did it when it was 100p less and I learn a bunch.

** Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi both Working in Ventura 13.5 **

The OpenIntelWireless drivers are working once again in Ventura. Please follow these guidelines:

Wi-Fi:
  • Download and install the latest 2.2.0 Stable version of AirportItlwm from here
  • For Ventura, set MinKernel to 22.0.0 and MaxKernel to 22.99.99
  • Wi-Fi 6 is not supported, unfortunately
  • I tested with Fenvi FV-AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 card (device ID 0x2723, vendor ID 0x8086)
Bluetooth:
  • Follow every step listed in @tonymacx86's post located here
  • The correct version of BlueToolFixup.kext is located in the post itself; simply download it from there
  • Be sure to add the two NVRAM entries as described in that post
  • After rebooting, Reset NVRAM (also mentioned in the post) by pressing SPACE at the OpenCore Boot Menu and selecting Reset NVRAM on the right side

My machine doesn't sleep with v2.2.0.

Order of events;
Downloaded Monterey version, added into EFI.
Added MinKernal/MaxKernal 21.0.0 - 21.99.99
Rebooted, reset NVRAM. Tested the WiFi, works well, sleep doesn't.

Reverted back to v2.1.0 - sleep works.

Monterey 12.6.2
SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1
0.8.8 OC

Was i meant to follow up with the Bluetooth section? Or is that specifically for Ventura?

Thanks

Back