Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

** And We're Back in Business!! **
6 weeks after sending motherboard for repair​

Asus replaced the motherboard.

A brand new ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi came via FedEx this morning and it has been fully installed. This is being posted from that system.

Diagnosis: At least one CPU socket pin was damaged.

Replacement came in a nondescript white box. I kept the original box.
View attachment 551478

Problem: Damage to at least one CPU socket pin
View attachment 551481

Brand New: Plastic wrap on IO shield.
View attachment 551479

Brand New: Plastic wrap on chipset cover and plastic wrap under each NVMe heat shield.
View attachment 551480

Good news!

Interesting to see what the fault was. I guess with 1700 pins that can happen. I remember a couple of years ago I dropped a CPU into the socket of a motherboard and bent several of the pad-contacts/pins in it. Totally my fault. Tried pulling the pins back up using a sewing needle but my eyes weren't up to the job! Sold it on to a person with better eyesight, and he got a bargain in the end I suspect!

:)

So did you damage it or was it that way from the factory ? AFAIK they don't replace the board if the owner does the damage to the pins.
I have installed Intel CPUs (LGA socket devices) numerous times without fail. This was no different, and it was the second Z690 system after the Gigabyte Aero G. The CPU was placed into the socket once, checked for fitment, then secured down. Same process I repeated moments ago on the replacement board.

So did you damage it or was it that way from the factory ? AFAIK they don't replace the board if the owner does the damage to the pins.
There’s been a lot of discussion about the LGA1700 mounting mechanism and how it can cause the CPU and even motherboard PCB to warp in shape. There is uneven pressure on the CPU which can lead to sub-optimal contact with the CPU cooler.

Der8auer and thermal grizzly have released an alternative mounting solution for Intel's Alder Lake processors that are more optimally designed for Alder Lake processors. Intel maintains there is no problem with the LGA1700 mounting mechanism. But gamer’s Nexus has released a video showing uneven cooler contact using the stock LGA1700 mounting mechanism, and much more even contact using der8auer’s solution.

I wonder if the mounting mechanism may have contributed in any way to Casey’s unfortunate issue? Or perhaps the real story is just that that particular board was defective from the factory?

I have installed Intel CPUs (LGA socket devices) numerous times without fail. This was no different, and it was the second Z690 system after the Gigabyte Aero G. The CPU was placed into the socket once, checked for fitment, then secured down. Same process I repeated moments ago on the replacement board.
I suppose they put it under the microscope to find this damaged pin. It does say "pin" and not pins. If you had damaged it, it's pretty much impossible to damage only one pin. They are so close together.

Probably a factory defect then when the socket was created at the factory.

Last edited:
** And We're Back in Business!! **
6 weeks after sending motherboard for repair​
Awesome news. Glad to hear you're back in the ProArt game! Disappointing that it took six weeks to replace the board.

Is there a single pin out of 1700 that, when damaged, would exhibit the following:
  • Allow BIOS to upgrade two times in the past. A boot loop was encountered, but the loop went away.
  • Allow system to run perfectly fine since.
  • Then fail after a 3rd BIOS upgrade.
I'm wondering if the problem really was a socket pin, or a combination of issues. Another owner recently mentioned a boot loop on their ProArt Z690-Creator. Same problem?

Another owner recently mentioned a boot loop on their ProArt Z690-Creator. Same problem?
Asus couldn't figure it out and used the single damaged pin as the scapegoat ?

Is there a single pin out of 1700 that, when damaged, would exhibit the following:
  • Allow BIOS to upgrade two times in the past. A boot loop was encountered, but the loop went away.
  • Allow system to run perfectly fine since.
  • Then fail after a 3rd BIOS upgrade.
I'm wondering if the problem really was a socket pin, or a combination of issues. Another owner recently mentioned a boot loop on their ProArt Z690-Creator. Same problem?

That might just indicate a warping problem, then. Who knows what 1 of 1700 pins might connect with? (Well Intel, obv.) Clearly something that developed over time, so warping does sound like a good candidate. Maybe review the heatsink's level and surface contact? Perhaps a different cooler?

I had dead TB port out of the box... maybe it's just production issues during a pandemic.

That might just indicate a warping problem, then. Who knows what 1 of 1700 pins might connect with? (Well Intel, obv.) Clearly something that developed over time, so warping does sound like a good candidate. Maybe review the heatsink's level and surface contact? Perhaps a different cooler?
This is the most plausible theory yet posited.

Asus detected a fault, but they didn't describe the causal mechanism. They didn't question the cause either and determined that the fault was covered under warranty.

Back