Contribute
Register

Asus Z590-E WIFI Gaming No longer boots after BIOS update

Board only has USB 2.0 Ports is what they told me!
Sorry but that sounds like complete bollox! They are fobbing you off or just messing with you.

No manufacturer would issue/sell a motherboard with such a defect, not even MSI.

Have you installed Windows or Linux on a spare drive, to confirm that none of the USB3 or Type-C ports work at the correct speed?

Board only has USB 2.0 Ports is what they told me!

UPDATE: OH and they havent replied to my email in forever now since I asked for some clarification
The board in your signature has a ton of USB3 ports, I venture you either misunderstood Asus or the answer you got was a mistake. Have you tried testing the speed of the ports in another OS?

Rear USB:Total 10 ports
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port(s) (1 x USB Type-C®)

3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (2 x Type-A, 1 x USB Type-C® )

4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (4 x Type-A)
2 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 x Type-A)
Front USB:Total 7 ports
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 connector(s) (suppport(s) USB Type-C®)

1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 header(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports

2 x USB 2.0 header(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 ports

Guys I did not mis understand you I was shocked myself they said that and I know they are giving me a load of BS wich is why i asked for clarification, if that was true the board they RMAd before this one was sent in for the same problem and it was not as good of a model so it stands to say that board had the same limitation as well (if true which i doubt) and they wasted my last year of back forths with these jokers..... Ill paste the email shortly Im hoping for a reply by monday....

You know what both boards have in common, no?

I'll tell you, as I don't want to keep you in suspense. The common factor is You - 'The User'.

The chances of you buying or receiving two Asus motherboards where the USB ports only work at USB2 speed is a big fat ZERO.

You are doing something wrong, that causes the system to fail to activate any USB3 ports at their native speed.

Thats your opionion... Its wrong but your entitled to having it! Not gonna bother posting proof of their idiocy as it seems it wont get me anymore with yall just keep protecting ASUS! I must have blown on the case thats why it just stopped working out of the blue!

Im sorry I dont mean to be rude but u seem to just be attacking me over the fact its impossible for it to happen.. with ASUS lately anything is possible... I can see in your Comments your top two builds are ASUS so perhaps this is biasd already I dont know. I will more than likely be happy to post their email responses once I get further information!

Thats your opionion... Its wrong but your entitled to having it! Not gonna bother posting proof of their idiocy as it seems it wont get me anymore with yall just keep protecting ASUS! I must have blown on the case thats why it just stopped working out of the blue!

Im sorry I dont mean to be rude but u seem to just be attacking me over the fact its impossible for it to happen.. with ASUS lately anything is possible... I can see in your Comments your top two builds are ASUS so perhaps this is biasd already I dont know. I will more than likely be happy to post their email responses once I get further information!
as mentioned above by @Leesureone , do your ports work properly in Windows or Linux at full USB3 speeds?

Yes they work in windows. Now yall can believe me with what ASUS told me or not its up to yall not sweat off my back... Ill update if they ever give me an answer any clarify that stupid answer

Yes they work in windows. Now yall can believe me with what ASUS told me or not its up to yall not sweat off my back... Ill update if they ever give me an answer any clarify that stupid answer
so you get full speeds in Windows but not in macOS....?

Just as an extra bit of information -

There are USB "issues" with the Z590 chipset, but usually only prior to Big Sur.

Apart from the above, another factor which might affect USB is the version of OpenCore being used. For example I discovered I could not get USB3 working on a Z490/Z590 running High Sierra, prior to v0.9.3 (at the time I was using 0.8.8). It now works as expected.

Pinning-down where the issue lies can take time, but I really believe that your motherboard will be fine, as Windows works. Certainly Asus is a quality brand, better than MSI.

P.S - are you not able to revert the BIOS version using a USB boot stick - Rufus etc.? This is how I've rolled-back a BIOS said to be officially non-downgradeable.

Last edited:
Reverting back to the bios that worked prior was possible but the same problem still existed. get this asus is making an exception (having clarified what the exception is yet) for me but once again refused to answer my question on whether or not its true that even boards with USB 3 or USB 3.2 ports and colored as such are capped out at 2.0 speeds and they continue to ignore me when I ask for clarification!

Prior to BIOS update I ran Big Sur and Monterey just fine as I had both installatons running just testing some things so I can confirm that.

And im starting to lose faith in ASUS, not just because of the situation because nobody is perfect and mistakes happen I cant wrong someone (as long as they make it right) for one mistake! The problem I'm hearing is content creators are being shipped dead products left and right and its been hard to get them replaced.... Ive hard problems with certain ASUS bios bricking boards, I think there is one other thing in the news forget....We will see Im still gonna consider myself an ASUS fan for now... I have a monitor by them and other products as well I really hate to lose them as this motherboard situation is the only time ive run into problems with them.....

Back