Contribute
Register

Asus Z590-E WIFI Gaming No longer boots after BIOS update

Ok. Some questions to ask you - did you ever run a ResetNVRAM once you had updated your EFI to try and reboot the system? While it isn't always best to run (as it shortens the life of the NVRAM itself), it is a necessary step sometimes to get a system back online.

As to your SSD issue, what brand and model are you using? Have you tried to update the firmware for the SSD?

I also noticed your Opencore log showed your system should have been loading a SSDT-RHUB.aml in your ACPI but it wasn't.

If it helps, I have a Z590I Vision D and this is how I've set my EFI for Ventura

View attachment 569061
View attachment 569062
Well I think someone suggested it was an SSD issue honestly NO CHANGES were made at all other than ASUS bios upgrade 1601 to 1701 and suddenly would no longer boot after I re-added the UEFI entry...

Thanks for putting out RHUB isnt loading I guess I tend to overlook thing when a bios update normally dont cauuse problems and I hate coincendences LOL, but thanks lemme see if this gives me any luck everything u gave me! :)

As always, great advice from @Edhawk, check your bios settings. They would have reverted to defaults after the update. That alone would keep OSX from booting. Asus notes on its website bios 1701 cannot be downgraded without using the flashback option, take that with a grain of salt though. If it was to work you'd still not be able to boot OSX without resetting your bios options. See below

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1701

Version 1701
11.37 MB 2022/12/29
"1. Improve system stability
2. Improve compatibility with NVIDIA RTX40 series cards

Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235 to ensure optimized system settings.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ590E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

Remark: Please note this version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous version, except via USB BIOS FlashBack™."
I havent had any luck even with making sure that ACPI file was loaded but you mentioned your running 1701 fine on a differerent motherboard, have you managed to try 1801 yet I just noticed that it released...

I havent had any luck even with making sure that ACPI file was loaded but you mentioned your running 1701 fine on a differerent motherboard, have you managed to try 1801 yet I just noticed that it released...
I've change boards to the Z690 Gaming E so sorry, I can't help you with that.

OK well I made sure that RHUB was loaded with the other SSDTs now for sure but now its giving ACPI errors related to namespace lookup failure AE_NOT_FOUND PXSX

I swear I do have insomnia so my memory is terrible, but I really just remember updating BIOS and then this problem started, btw I was able to finally downgrade to 1601 and that didnt make any difference at all so its definitly not that.... I dont get it, Lost again! :(

OK well I made sure that RHUB was loaded with the other SSDTs now for sure but now its giving ACPI errors related to namespace lookup failure AE_NOT_FOUND PXSX

I swear I do have insomnia so my memory is terrible, but I really just remember updating BIOS and then this problem started, btw I was able to finally downgrade to 1601 and that didnt make any difference at all so its definitly not that.... I dont get it, Lost again! :(
Ok then if that’s the case try and see if XHCI Handoff has been enabled in the BIOS. It’s possible that your latest update of the BIOS may have changed some of your previously applied settings.

Ok then if that’s the case try and see if XHCI Handoff has been enabled in the BIOS. It’s possible that your latest update of the BIOS may have changed some of your previously applied settings.
I thought the same went thru all the settings I had written down that I needed to have set but XHCI Handoff is enabled in BIOS

SO weird I know it doesn't matter now regardless but I swear I only did a BIOS update beccause everything on the macOS end was PERFECT lmao (not anymore haha) -- Anyways any other ideas? BTW per Dortania these are the SSDTs I should be loading correct? SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC-USBX, SSDT-AWAC, SSDT-RHUB, and SSDT-PMC... Hmmm I dont remember needing a PMC that was related to NVRAM docu could of changed I been away kinda awhile....

No you don't need the SSDT-PMC.aml table. This is used to fix an issue in Intel 300 series motherboards, Z390 etc. Comet Lake and newer systems don't need that SSDT.

The rest of the SSDT's are required.

But it would be better if they were created/generated from your system DSDT.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script. Custom SSDT's generated specifically for your system, rather than generic SSDT's that try to cover all Intel systems. These custom SSDT's can be generated in macOS, Windows and possibly Linux.

No you don't need the SSDT-PMC.aml table. This is used to fix an issue in Intel 300 series motherboards, Z390 etc. Comet Lake and newer systems don't need that SSDT.

The rest of the SSDT's are required.

But it would be better if they were created/generated from your system DSDT.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script. Custom SSDT's generated specifically for your system, rather than generic SSDT's that try to cover all Intel systems. These custom SSDT's can be generated in macOS, Windows and possibly Linux.

I already custom generate my SSDTs using SSDTTime and I re-generated them after BIOS update just to be safe as well!

The SSDT-RHUB can this be custom generated as well?

I just realized that my last boot attempt these were the errors now...

11:615 00:982 OC: Prelinked blocker (Disable) result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleGFXHDA (Disable AppleGFXHDA) - Not Found

11:647 00:032 OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet (I225-V patch) - Not Found

Unsure if that is halting the boot most likely the gfx one is hmmm wth is going on

Back