Contribute
Register

Asus Z590-E WIFI Gaming No longer boots after BIOS update

Just had a quick look at your issue online. It seems that Asus officially states it is not possible to rollback the firmware for this motherboard to 1601 because the update was quite significant. > https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/z590-e-gaming-wifi-bios-rollback/td-p/933935

Which means your only option now is to work with the existing EFI and have it updated to what settings @c-o-pr is using.
Asus posts misleading information occasionally. They state it is possible to downgrade from 1701 using the flashback method but I had a similar experience on my Z690 Gaming G. Downgrading would not work and after contacting Asus and sending the board back they eventually relented and said downgrading wasn't possible.
That could be what is happening here, if he can't downgrade then move on.

Last edited:
You wrote you can't boot macOS but pls say where it fails... Not seeing drive at all, or does startup get underway then fall?

Assuming the macOS instance gets started: If you didn't save your settings and restore after the update, that is the problem.

But if you did preserve your settings, then maybe verify the restore worked as expected.

I am using 1701 on z590 Hero with OC as early as 0.8.8 and Ventura and it works. Have since updated OC to latest, but I doubt OC version update will have any bearing whatsoever on regaining access.
FWIW I've got the same mobo as @c-o-pr and just recently updated my BIOS to 1701. At the time I was running OC 0.9.3, with Mac Ventura 13.4.0 on one SSD and Windows 11 on a second SSD.

I had never updated a computer's BIOS before so I downloaded both the User Guide and the BIOS Manual for my mobo. The User Guide mentioned what seemed like 3 different ways to update BIOS (EZ Update, EZ Flash 3, and Crash Free Bios 3), but the BIOS Manual only mentioned the last two; nothing about EZ Update). The way I read it, the Crash Free Bios 3 method sounded more like a way to do an emergency revert back to an older BIOS version, in case an update failed. So I decided to opt for the second method, EZ Flash 3, as shown on page 3-3 of the User Guide.

When I went to the Asus support site for the new BIOS file I saw an ME update (15.0.42.2235) along with it that apparently had to be installed with the BIOS update. After downloading both files, I booted into my Windows 11 partition and did the ME update. After doing that update, I copied the BIOS file to a USB thumbdrive, then shut down and disconnected all USB externals except keyboard, mouse, and the USB thumbdrive.

I booted into BIOS and followed the procedure on page 3-3 of the mobo User Guide, which strongly suggested that I "Load Optimized Defaults" first. Then I continued the procedure as described in the Guide and used the Advanced>Tools menu in BIOS to select the 1701 file on the USB thumbdrive and update to 1701. After several minutes the update appeared to have been successful. I rebooted my hack, a black-and-white screen appeared afterwards (I think it said something about American Megatrends) but after another reboot, I was able to hit F2 and re-enter the (new) BIOS settings.

I had taken screenshots of my old (1007) BIOS settings but frankly, after the update there weren't really that many things I had to revert back to my old settings. I used a checklist I got on this forum to verify the critical settings. I made & saved those changes, then allowed my hack boot to Windows 11 just to be sure it could still run that OS okay.

After shutting down again, I reconnected all USB externals and booted back into Mac Ventura 13.4 with no problems.

Actually go back to the asus BIOS area for my motherboard... if you read it again yo will see at the end it says unless you use flashback or something or another, but again I cant get it to flash anyways...

Anyways the error im getting at boot is A0 - which is related to the boot drive, but its working fine... I cant mount and access the EFI from windows so im not sure what thats about...

FWIW I've got the same mobo as @c-o-pr and just recently updated my BIOS to 1701. At the time I was running OC 0.9.3, with Mac Ventura 13.4.0 on one SSD and Windows 11 on a second SSD.

I had never updated a computer's BIOS before so I downloaded both the User Guide and the BIOS Manual for my mobo. The User Guide mentioned what seemed like 3 different ways to update BIOS (EZ Update, EZ Flash 3, and Crash Free Bios 3), but the BIOS Manual only mentioned the last two; nothing about EZ Update). The way I read it, the Crash Free Bios 3 method sounded more like a way to do an emergency revert back to an older BIOS version, in case an update failed. So I decided to opt for the second method, EZ Flash 3, as shown on page 3-3 of the User Guide.

When I went to the Asus support site for the new BIOS file I saw an ME update (15.0.42.2235) along with it that apparently had to be installed with the BIOS update. After downloading both files, I booted into my Windows 11 partition and did the ME update. After doing that update, I copied the BIOS file to a USB thumbdrive, then shut down and disconnected all USB externals except keyboard, mouse, and the USB thumbdrive.

I booted into BIOS and followed the procedure on page 3-3 of the mobo User Guide, which strongly suggested that I "Load Optimized Defaults" first. Then I continued the procedure as described in the Guide and used the Advanced>Tools menu in BIOS to select the 1701 file on the USB thumbdrive and update to 1701. After several minutes the update appeared to have been successful. I rebooted my hack, a black-and-white screen appeared afterwards (I think it said something about American Megatrends) but after another reboot, I was able to hit F2 and re-enter the (new) BIOS settings.

I had taken screenshots of my old (1007) BIOS settings but frankly, after the update there weren't really that many things I had to revert back to my old settings. I used a checklist I got on this forum to verify the critical settings. I made & saved those changes, then allowed my hack boot to Windows 11 just to be sure it could still run that OS okay.

After shutting down again, I reconnected all USB externals and booted back into Mac Ventura 13.4 with no problems.
OK Well its good to know that 1701 isnt actually the problem I guess just a total coincidence that the problem started when I updated BIOS... i have my ME updates up to date as well...

Actually go back to the asus BIOS area for my motherboard... if you read it again yo will see at the end it says unless you use flashback or something or another, but again I cant get it to flash anyways...

Anyways the error im getting at boot is A0 - which is related to the boot drive, but its working fine... I cant mount and access the EFI from windows so im not sure what thats about...
Good to know, I’ve had issues with Asus bios updates, or other events like a crash or hang, clearing the boot entry for the EFI partition of OSx. OpenCore boot.Efi suddenly becomes invisible, it’s still there but the bios can’t see it.
Does it still show as a bootable option in your bios?

Asus posts misleading information occasionally. They state it is possible to downgrade from 1701 using the flashback method but I had a similar experience on my Z690 Gaming G. Downgrading would not work and after contacting Asus and sending the board back they eventually relented and said downgrading wasn't possible.

Board status A0 means "normal operation."

Not seeing a drive to boot is a drive connection or format issue.

Re: BIOS up/down-grade.

The invention of"Flashback" button was partly about downgrades, per "back", where it's common for gamers to roll back and Asus made mark with a feature that allows BIOS restore even when no CPU/RAM is present.

The key to Flashback feature is the drive needs a specific format: MBR, single partition, FAT32, and the BIOS image to install requires a specific name so it can be found. The name is specific to the board model, and you can find it in the BIOS download area notes at Asus support. They also offer a renamer tool for Windows, to skip a having to do web page lookup.

For your board ROG STRIX z590-E WIFI, the BIOS version 1701 notes include the following info:

BIOS 1701:
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file [to] (SZ590E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.
Remark: Please note this version 1701 does NOT allow rolling back to the previous version,
except via USB BIOS FlashBack™."

IOW, you can downgrade with Flashback.

The BIOSRenamer tool is optional, it just renames the file with awareness of the board model.
You can rename by hand.

There is Asus forum discussion that Flashback is touchy about USB drive format and may write a journal that interferes with subsequent re-flashes —this doesn't make sense to me, but the lore says reformat the USB drive before each BIOS load to avoid hazard.

It's presumed you will use Windows drive format utility to prepare the USB with the BIOS image, which for historical reasons will not handle a MBR USB drive bigger than 32G. You can work around by using a 3rd party tool.

I'm providing above Flashback info to clarify BIOS install situation. But I doubt BIOS version has anything to do with lost access to your macOS instance.

Best to you

Last edited:
Good to know, I’ve had issues with Asus bios updates, or other events like a crash or hang, clearing the boot entry for the EFI partition of OSx. OpenCore boot.Efi suddenly becomes invisible, it’s still there but the bios can’t see it.
Does it still show as a bootable option in your bios?
I actually had to re-add the entry!

Board status A0 means "normal operation."

Not seeing a drive to boot is a drive connection or format issue.

Re: BIOS up/down-grade.

The invention of"Flashback" button was partly about downgrades, per "back", where it's common for gamers to roll back and Asus made mark with a feature that allows BIOS restore even when no CPU/RAM is present.

The key to Flashback feature is the drive needs a specific format: MBR, single partition, FAT32, and the BIOS image to install requires a specific name so it can be found. The name is specific to the board model, and you can find it in the BIOS download area notes at Asus support. They also offer a renamer tool for Windows, to skip a having to do web page lookup.

For your board ROG STRIX z590-E WIFI, the BIOS version 1701 notes include the following info:

IOW, you can downgrade with Flashback.

The BIOSRenamer tool is optional, it just renames the file with awareness of the board model.
You can rename by hand.

There is Asus forum discussion that Flashback is touchy about USB drive format and may write a journal that interferes with subsequent re-flashes —this doesn't make sense to me, but the lore says reformat the USB drive before each BIOS load to avoid hazard.

It's presumed you will use Windows drive format utility to prepare the USB with the BIOS image, which for historical reasons will not handle a MBR USB drive bigger than 32G. You can work around by using a 3rd party tool.

I'm providing above Flashback info to clarify BIOS install situation. But I doubt BIOS version has anything to do with lost access to your macOS instance.

Best to you
Thanks for all the info really appreciate it but ya ive tried different formats for the usb drive different usb drives and flashback has worked for me in the past dunno why I cant downgrade, but somebody above with a different board same bios has macos running on 1701 so thats not the issue im going to try it on a different drive I suppose it could have failed coincendentally at the same time!

OK so just to re-iterate Ive tried the flash drive install drive in various FAT formats (including what it says on the website) none of them work same disk works to do other things inclding install windows not that it matters, ive tried other flash disks but this and others have worked in the past... Even tought maybe its my SSD that suddenly died but i can install Linux on that just fine, and I'm about to try another SSD still just for the hell of it... I dont understand at all... Last time I custom compiled my SSDTs so I redid those recently thinking that was it based on what I noticed in the open core logs... does this help at all (see attachment)

Attachments

• opencore-2023-07-10-061211.txt
    256 KB · Views: 14
OK so just to re-iterate Ive tried the flash drive install drive in various FAT formats (including what it says on the website) none of them work same disk works to do other things inclding install windows not that it matters, ive tried other flash disks but this and others have worked in the past... Even tought maybe its my SSD that suddenly died but i can install Linux on that just fine, and I'm about to try another SSD still just for the hell of it... I dont understand at all... Last time I custom compiled my SSDTs so I redid those recently thinking that was it based on what I noticed in the open core logs... does this help at all (see attachment)
Ok. Some questions to ask you - did you ever run a ResetNVRAM once you had updated your EFI to try and reboot the system? While it isn't always best to run (as it shortens the life of the NVRAM itself), it is a necessary step sometimes to get a system back online.

As to your SSD issue, what brand and model are you using? Have you tried to update the firmware for the SSD?

I also noticed your Opencore log showed your system should have been loading a SSDT-RHUB.aml in your ACPI but it wasn't.

If it helps, I have a Z590I Vision D and this is how I've set my EFI for Ventura

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 12.57.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 12.59.54 PM.png

Back