Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind. I see that I need the VoodooTSCSync.kext.

Next issue...I boot into bios and it shows that I have BIOS 2002 on the motherboard. What in the heck do I do now? I cannot go backwards to 1104 or 1203. HELP!

i was able to use the usb to install ml on the hdd using cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No :thumbup: (had still waiting for root device before) once installed, restarted and loaded up from usb to boot the ml hdd - i get another error :failed to boot kext com.apple.driver. appleusbuhci, and then the screen turns black o_O

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 1.25.35 PM.jpg

running the specs:

asus sabortooth x79 bios:1104
32 gb Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz ram
intel 3930k
EVGA GTX 460 FTW EE

Thanks for the help guys :) (disregard the two thumbnails below, issues were fixed)

Attachments

• DSC_4141.jpg
    DSC_4141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 660
  • DSC_4142.jpg
    DSC_4142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
Great forum tonymacx86 and great build with a super guide, mitchellk!

I've completed lion 10.7.5 install (dual boot with windows 8) on Asus sabertooth x79 with bios 3009, cpu i7-3820, gpu gtx 285. Everything (not sleep) is working. :D

Thanks to all.

Next issue...I boot into bios and it shows that I have BIOS 2002 on the motherboard. What in the heck do I do now? I cannot go backwards to 1104 or 1203. HELP!

Some people have reported that even on that BIOS version, things should work fine. I don't think you need to worry about it.

Finally got 10.7.2 Lion running on my x79 sabertooth (3203) / geforce 560ti.
I ran the combo update and updated to 10.7.5.
It would no longer boot.

I got it to work by going into single user mode (-s) and doing the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /
mkdir ~/bkupgfx
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv -f NVD*.kext ~/bkupgfx

Once I was able to get on to 10.7.5, I ran multibeast.
Multibeast failed when I used OP's settings and I discovered it was the Nvidia Open CL Enabler/ FakeSMCPlugins - Nvidia
Plugin That were causing the issue. I finally got everything working without having to boot with any options.

I then Installed the Nvidia Cuda drivers. My System won't recognize my nvdia card.
Any suggestions??

Okay, got my 560 ti 448 to be recognized by installing the 10.7.5 from software update as soon as i had finished installing 10.7.2. I then ran multibeast with all the options in OP's post except the opencl enabler and fakesmc nvidia plugin. I installed VoodooTSCSync.kext using kextbeast and restarted the computer about three times without any problems. On the fourth try it got stuck on the mac logo/ spinning wheel. I can now only run using cpus=1 flag even though ive already installed the VoodooTSCSync.kext. Any ideas what else I could try so I no longer need the cpus=1 option to boot?

Setting out to build one of these. I notice many 3930x builds discussed here. Planning to build per the original hardware list using 3960x and ML 10.8.x with substitutions of 1) P193V3 to replace discontinued P190 case 2) newer H80i cooling fan to replace H80 3) Planning to use the MSI NVIDIA GeForce OC 4GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card (N680GTX TWIN FROZR 4GD5/OC) rather than the 580. I've read the thread. Understand there will not be power management. Anything else I need to know?

Ok, I've FINALLY figured out the sound issue. The bottom line is that the new MultiBeast 5.1.2 is missing options that are necessary to get the sound working properly.

As seen in the original post, you need to be able to select:

Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/Unified Device Injector/ALC8xxxHDA
Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/AppleHDA Rollback
Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/Non-DSDT HDAEnabler/ALC892

Those options are simply missing in the 5.1.2 version.

So what I did on a clean install is used 5.1.2 to get the boot loader, disk, facesmc, usb 3.0 and network installed. Reboot, inject the npci-0x3000 to get it to boot off the new install.

Once at the desktop, I ran the LION version (4.6.1) of MultiBeast and went to the audio section where I could select the three items listed above.
Reboot.. and sound working like a champ.

So that said, it's looking like I'm 100% though I still have some tweaking for CPU recognition, etc.

FWIW, I am sticking with the last version of the non-cap bios, 1203.

Hope that helps others get the audio situation resolved....

Guys... and especially those of you who have gone (and still are!) NUTS over sound not working in ML 10.8.x!

I think I might have accidentally found why no sound is coming out EVEN if you strictly follow the excellent tutorial by Tom Sawyer. The solution is stupid beyond and of you expectation and it's all about... wrong mapping of LINE OUT connectors in AppleHDA drivers for ALC892 (possibly same situation for other ALC8xx).
After uselessly to downgrade the BIOS version to the "praised to work" versions 1203 or 1104 it just occurred to me to kneel down to my PC case, look at the back of it and - while having VLC playing whatever music! - randomly changing the stereo jack from my speakers through all the existing inputs in the back panel of the mother board and... SURPRISE!!! It's working!
Told you it's stupid but... while, like most normal people I initially stuck the stereo jack in the classic LINE OUT (green plug) it eventually proved that the two LINE OUT (as they appear in the Apple Sound Panel, in Output panel) are actually incorrectly mapped to ORANGE plug (center / sub-woofer) and BLACK plug (rear speaker out).
So:
1. follow Tom Sawyer's excellent explanation about how to use both 5.x.x and 4.6.1 versions of Multibeast to get AppleHDA correctly installed for Sabertooth X79 ALC892 chipset.
2. choose whichever of the two LINE OUT presented in the Apple Sound Panel --> Output panel.
3. let some music / YouTube play.
4. switch the goddamn speakers / headphones plug from the GREEN connector to either BLACK or ORANGE one (try both!)
5. enjoy! ;)

I can confirm that this is working flawlessly with bios version - latest as of now - v3203 in ML 10.8.2!

mitchellk's Build: Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x | MSI GeForce GTX580​
Here's a build using the Intel X79 chipset and LGA2011 CPU

I Installed (using Kextbeast) a modified version of AppleAHCIPort.kext posted by Kurtface - this shows the SATA controller as:

DO NOT install this kext if you're using 10.8.2 ML! It screwed up my system (couldnt even boot with -s) had to do all over again.

Dave

Can someone tell me what settings to change in the UEFI? I have the Sabertooth X79 and the 3930K. Won't boot into the key fully. I can't tell if I have a bad key or if its a settings issue. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back