Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Under Boot > Arguments

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 12.34.28 PM.png

There are newer versions of Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen so this string isn't needed, but they were more buggy for me so I suggest this boot arg until the authors for those kexts build new versions and post on Github.

Thanks Pilgrim and izo1 !

I can't find a block diagram for your motherboard (Prime X299-A)
On your board, use the M.2_2 connector (the vertical one).
It appears to be PCIe only. It's likely shared with one of the PCIe slot, you can tell which one by looking with IORegistryExplorer which PC0X/BRXX bridge it's connected to. If you then want dedicated PCIe access to it, leave that slot empty.

A M.2 connector via the PCH allows for SATA devices.

FWIW, even on a PCIe X4 dedicated bus, my 1TB 970 Pro is stuck at 2800/2200 MB/s after a year of use. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Here are some relevant screen shots from the manual for the Prime X299-A. Both appear to be PCIe. Personally, I use the vertical one (M.2_2), as it provides better cooling. I do have a lot of SATA drives, so I did run into an issue with those ports being shared with one of the PCIe slots and had to move my wifi adapter.

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.16.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.22.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.22.43 AM.png

Here are some relevant screen shots from the manual for the Prime X299-A. Both appear to be PCIe. Personally, I use the vertical one (M.2_2), as it provides better cooling. I do have a lot of SATA drives, so I did run into an issue with those ports being shared with one of the PCIe slots and had to move my wifi adapter.

View attachment 414379

View attachment 414380

View attachment 414381

The fact is PCIe only doesn't mean it's linked with CPU lanes, anyway, since speeds are pretty much equal to pice x16 adapter card I think it's fine to leave the NVME drive in the M2 slots.

Have you tried extreme overclocks with X299-A? Using the OverVolt jumper in the bottom right corner of the board and the second added 4pin connector EPS to CPU power (located close to the 8 pin EPS). My PSU is a beefy 1KW Platinum unit but just has a 8 pin connector for CPU, I know some EVGA got double that!

I believe usually the further away from the PCH the NVMe slot, the more likely it is connected to the CPU PCIe lanes.

But honestly, the difference shouldn't be THAT noticeable in terms of speed. Mine is probably running via the PCH (I have it closest M.2 slot to the PCH) and it's been fine for a long time now.

The bigger question is what kind of NVMe are you running? They are getting very affordable now and I believe it's better to buy NVMe's that are not just rated for burst speeds but also when they become full. But overall 99% of the users are not going to notice a difference...unless you're doing mission critical tasks.

View attachment 414379

View attachment 414380

View attachment 414381

Yep, ICH M_2 only.
Get another motherboard :)

You would have been warned here in the past.

Having some odd issues lately with the new RAM (Gskill 3600...running at 3466 for stability)....sometimes it kicks me back to the login screen.

System has a minor OC @ 4.0...any ideas?

Just try automatic login. See what happens.

The fact is PCIe only doesn't mean it's linked with CPU lanes, anyway, since speeds are pretty much equal to pice x16 adapter card I think it's fine to leave the NVME drive in the M2 slots.

Have you tried extreme overclocks with X299-A? Using the OverVolt jumper in the bottom right corner of the board and the second added 4pin connector EPS to CPU power (located close to the 8 pin EPS). My PSU is a beefy 1KW Platinum unit but just has a 8 pin connector for CPU, I know some EVGA got double that!

I'm running a 4.7GHz OC on my rig and all is stable. I have the OverVolt jumper set and do a mild voltage bump. I could probably run a higher OC but would need to significantly up my cooling apparatus, so I'm happy with the current configuration.

Personally, I have no issues with this motherboard. It's running everything I want, no stability issues, and posts decent benchmarks/performance.

Just try automatic login. See what happens.

Would rather get this to work since the computer sits in an area where other people pass by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back