Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest you play with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility under windows and the Prime95 tool.
I made mine so the CPU clock speed is never higher than 4.1GHz.
So if you set your clock speed to 4.5GHz, you have the AVX offset at 4, use 4.6->5 etc

When running Prime95 you will quickly see if the AVX2 instructions are too much for your cooling system.

In Prime95, make sure you keep your mouse pointer hovering over the stop test button. It can reach insane temperature, instantly regardless of the Tmax value (I've seen the CPU going at 120C for a couple of seconds)

Ahah! Seems things are getting pretty extreme here, and I like it!!! That X stands for EXTREME by the way!

Speaking of “extreme”, I just discovered X299 platform routes the NVMe drives to PCH PCIE x4 lanes. WTF!!?? That’s why my 970 Pro reads 2800 MB/s, and I need a pcie x16 or x4 / m.2 adapter to run my NVMe drive through CPU lanes. It’s a 15€ piece but hey! It’s unbelievable for X299! Can you guys confirm?

Speaking of “extreme”, I just discovered X299 platform routes the NVMe drives to PCH PCIE x4 lanes. WTF!!?? That’s why my 970 Pro reads 2800 MB/s, and I need a pcie x16 or x4 / m.2 adapter to run my NVMe drive through CPU lanes. It’s a 15€ piece but hey! It’s unbelievable for X299! Can you guys confirm?

That depends on the board. Check the manual. Try the other slot, it should be routed through the CPU than PCH.

That depends on the board. Check the manual. Try the other slot, it should be routed through the CPU than PCH.

Yeah, typically on ASUS boards you’ll have at least one that uses PCH and rest are through the CPU.

FYI GeekBench OpenCL score is much higher in Windows than macOS for Radeon VII. Definitely broken drivers/broken GB for macOS.

Windows: 217k
macOS: 170k

radeonvii.PNG

Ahah! Seems things are getting pretty extreme here, and I like it!!! That X stands for EXTREME by the way!

Speaking of “extreme”, i just discovered X299 platform routes the nvme drives to PCH PCIE x4 lanes. WTF!!?? That’s why my 970 Pro reads 2800 MB/s and I need a pcie x16 or x4 / m.2 adapter to run my nvme drive through CPU lanes. It’s a 15€ piece but hey! It’s unbelievable for X299! Con you guys confirm?

I can't find a block diagram for your motherboard (Prime X299-A)
On your board, use the M.2_2 connector (the vertical one).
It appears to be PCIe only. It's likely shared with one of the PCIe slot, you can tell which one by looking with IORegistryExplorer which PC0X/BRXX bridge it's connected to. If you then want dedicated PCIe access to it, leave that slot empty.

A M.2 connector via the PCH allows for SATA devices.

FWIW, even on a PCIe X4 dedicated bus, my 1TB 970 Pro is stuck at 2800/2200 MB/s after a year of use. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Is there a way to force BSD Names to stay the same on every boot? For example, sometimes my boot NVMe goes from disk1 to disk2 and vice versa....or is this a limitation of macOS?

New benchies...only downside is macOS doesn't seem to like 3600, so clocked down to 3466 (3467, as reported)...and a bump in RAM voltage doesn't seem to help either, macOS just freezes after a short while. But 3466 and a x46 multiplier (along with a 82c temp cap, since 9980XE has a 84c T. Junction limit) gives incredible results. And it runs around 80c-82c max on full load. :thumbup:

I also didn't want to push it further because I prefer silent operation at low fan speeds/low noise.

Thanks to @Rulebreaker01 for the insight. :headbang:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 3.05.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 3.10.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 3.08.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 3.12.43 AM.png

Last edited:
So... I updated Clover to v4972 and now Clover only sees the Windows Drive. I copied the config file and all my kexts to the new installation but there must be something I'm missing. Please will someone help me?

So... I updated Clover to v4972 and now Clover only sees the Windows Drive. I copied the config file and all my kexts to the new installation but there must be something I'm missing. Please will someone help me?

Please upload your config file.

And also update your signature with your latest X299 platform details.

Also the latest clover is 4977

Thanks izo1, here's my config.file. I'll change my profile immediately.

Attachments

• config.plist
    24.5 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back