Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I now have a 7820x OC @ 5GHz (throttles @4.8GHz after a few seconds) with a Corsair 360mm AIO, do you think I should delid+liquidmetal my CPU? Given I should gain about 15°C, will I be able to clock @ 5.2GHz or more? Anyone has some experience here?

You’re better off getting an i9 down the line and you can delid that.

With the newer 99xx ones you don’t have to delid since already soldered.

I was using extFS. And also installed FUSE to try. I just need to uninstall both and try your suggestion clean. I've set code to run overnight in Unix and it should be done when I get in in the AM to try booting into macOS again and trying.

70°C is on a full load with slight overclocking (3.8 GHz on all cores/threads for several minutes). Cooling is Corsair's H110i and the built-in case fans for Corsair's 750D Airflow. Idle, CPU temps are around 35-40°C. My point was that I wasn't hitting 100°C for a thermal shutdown, so that was not the issue causing a freeze.

Edited to Add: This morning I tried it with the motherboard's "extreme" overclocking profile. Temperatures max out at a stable 94-97°C, which is higher than I'd like, but it's stable and running faster.

I don't have experience with Linux partitions in macOS...but I'm sure it'll work with those drivers.

70c is not bad for full load and slight overclocking.

Usually modern CPUs like yours will just throttle when it reaches the thermal limits, so it won't freeze (unless the voltage is too low on your OC).

Interesting, any of you using FileVault2? Maybe it's just a placebo effect :think::lol:

Not here, I always avoided FileVault due to slow speed issues.

Apparently the real iMac Pro, which has the T2 chip, does real time file encryption, but I haven't done enough research.

You’re better off getting an i9 down the line and you can delid that.

With the newer 99xx ones you don’t have to delid since already soldered.

It seems that liquid metal is still better than solder, I read a lot about this. Indeed, I prefer a fast single core experience since my usage is not multi threaded.

What do you think?

It seems that liquid metal is still better than solder, I read a lot about this. Indeed, I prefer a fast single core experience since my usage is not multi threaded.

What do you think?

Indeed liquid metal is better, however longevity is an issue. And corrosion. And you have to first delid it, then use nail polish to cover the ICs, then put the lid back on. It's just too much work for very little gain. Also LM is "runny" so you have to check on it a lot.

If you are doing competitive benchmarking with LN2, I guess it's fine if you want to win some points. But for day to day operations I don't think it's worth it, to me at least.

The 7820x is not the best Skylake-X cpu, the best for single core performance in X299 are between 10cores-14cores. Also 7820x only has 28 PCie lanes compared to 44 in 10core and above. So a 16x GPU + 4x NVME, that's already 20 lanes.

Anyway, if you really want to delid it go for it. Der8auer has a good delid tool and there's plenty of YouTube tutorials for this.

There's a good guide I found for what you're looking for OCing.

You can probably bring the single core perf of 7820x to the 9900k Stock if you OC properly. The latter is finely tuned for single core perf unlike the 7820x, which is a lower tier X299 CPU.

Hello guys!

I've been using High Sierra for a while, everything worked great. Thunderbolt worked great, I didnt had hot plug but I dont really need it.

Anyway... Today I installed 10.14.4 and my thunderbolt is not working. I'm using the GC Titan Ridge adapter and it appears to be properly implemented in the PCI List under System Report. If I plug a USB-C drive into the thunderbolt ports it is immediately recognized but my thunderbolt devices are not. Im using a Blackmagic Multidock and a UAD interface, those two are not recognized at all.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Thank you!

Hello guys!

I've been using High Sierra for a while, everything worked great. Thunderbolt worked great, I didnt had hot plug but I dont really need it.

Anyway... Today I installed 10.14.4 and my thunderbolt is not working. I'm using the GC Titan Ridge adapter and it appears to be properly implemented in the PCI List under System Report. If I plug a USB-C drive into the thunderbolt ports it is immediately recognized but my thunderbolt devices are not. Im using a Blackmagic Multidock and a UAD interface, those two are not recognized at all.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Thank you!

Can you boot into Windows and make it active then boot into macOS to see if it works?

Indeed liquid metal is better, however longevity is an issue. And corrosion. And you have to first delid it, then use nail polish to cover the ICs, then put the lid back on. It's just too much work for very little gain. Also LM is "runny" so you have to check on it a lot.

If you are doing competitive benchmarking with LN2, I guess it's fine if you want to win some points. But for day to day operations I don't think it's worth it, to me at least.

The 7820x is not the best Skylake-X cpu, the best for single core performance in X299 are between 10cores-14cores. Also 7820x only has 28 PCie lanes compared to 44 in 10core and above. So a 16x GPU + 4x NVME, that's already 20 lanes.

Anyway, if you really want to delid it go for it. Der8auer has a good delid tool and there's plenty of YouTube tutorials for this.

There's a good guide I found for what you're looking for OCing.

You can probably bring the single core perf of 7820x to the 9900k Stock if you OC properly. The latter is finely tuned for single core perf unlike the 7820x, which is a lower tier X299 CPU.

so, the best CPU according to you is the 9900X 10 core ? it's a € 1000 CPU dammit! but a 9900X + Radeon VII (1700€) should be ok for several years I think, and I could sell my 7820x and Vega 64 LC for about 6/700 € both. Dunno if 1000€ it's valuable in my case, really I don't do photo/video edit or heavy computational loads, just email/office suite/browser. To be honest, my actual system is already pretty overkill.

so, the best CPU according to you is the 9900X 10 core ? it's a € 1000 CPU dammit! but a 9900X + Radeon VII (1700€) should be ok for several years I think, and I could sell my 7820x and Vega 64 LC for about 6/700 € both. Dunno if 1000€ it's valuable in my case, really I don't do photo/video edit or heavy computational loads, just email/office suite/browser. To be honest, my actual system is already pretty overkill.
Just meant the sweet spot is 10-14 core.

I went from 10 core to 18 because I need more cores and single core performance is less significant for me.

If you’re not doing heavy loads why bother wasting money? :)

Just meant the sweet spot is 10-14 core.

I went from 10 core to 18 because I need more cores and single core performance is less significant for me.

If you’re not doing heavy loads why bother wasting money? :)

Ya, I think it's best to wait for a new architecture form Intel then consider a new upgrade (or news about the new Mac Pro). The only dissatisfaction I got now with my PC is about the GPU: I got the Liquid Vega 64 and I'm forced to use voltage regulators on fans to tame them and they don't ramp up/down according to loads (10.14.5 beta now) anyway is capable of 1800Mhz OC for 30mins loads then starts to stay 1700Mhz which is pretty good (220000 Metal GB / 29000 Luxmark ball), that's why I'm considering the Radeon VII. Again, I'm bothering ahahah!

Ya, I think it's best to wait for a new architecture form Intel then consider a new upgrade (or news about the new Mac Pro). The only dissatisfaction I got now with my PC is about the GPU: I got the Liquid Vega 64 and I'm forced to use voltage regulators on fans to tame them and they don't ramp up/down according to loads (10.14.5 beta now) anyway is capable of 1800Mhz OC for 30mins loads then starts to stay 1700Mhz which is pretty good (220000 Metal GB / 29000 Luxmark ball), that's why I'm considering the Radeon VII. Again, I'm bothering ahahah!

Intel is not moving to 10nm for desktop processors any time soon because it's so refined at 14nm. 10nm is mostly for laptops for now once they go with their "promise" and release it... and X299 might get a bump to X399 or whatever they'll call it next, but I am not seeing a giant generational leap, except maybe just more cores that still are very expensive. Intel is kind of in a bad situation compared to AMD (who uses chiplets and connects via infinity fabric)...and it will take a very long time for intel (once they release) 10nm CPU to refine it more. But eventually it's coming and it'll be interesting to see what the new Mac Pro is this year (WWDC announcement?)...but I am not holding my breath with Apple anymore, that's why I put money into this Hackintosh instead of waiting for a Mac Pro.

Regarding GPU upgrade, I personally sold my Vega FE (Aircooled) for ~$400, bought Radeon VII for $699, sold the 3 games it came with -~$100, bought a EKWB Waterblock for ~$159...total upgrade cost = ~$358. I really like this card, and it's definitely an improvement over Vega 64.

You can probably get a pretty penny for your V64 LC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back